Go Back   MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search


V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters
Sponsored by Optima Batteries


Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!


Reply
 
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-22-2013, 09:32 AM   #1
musicbox
1st Gear Member
 
musicbox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Vehicle: 2002 Ford Mustang
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 58
musicbox33
Post Guide Me

I figured instead of making a new thread everytime I'm having issues that I need help with I'd just make one thread and post it all in here. It'll bump every time I post. I figured it would just be way easier this way and clutter the board up less.

Right now I need help with something, actually. I've searched using bing and google, and poked around in here and can't find exactly what I'm needing to know. Slap the noob with the ruler if I over looked it.

Car is an '02 Mustang 3.8L V6 Automatic

I just changed my power steering pump (a reman OEM 20-250), unhooked both lines at the reservoir/pump and drained it, took the belt off, took the pulley off, took the pump out, finally pried the damn reservoir off, (knew it was just a slide on/off but it's never that easy XD) and I cleaned the reservoir, (outside with break cleaner spray, dried thoroughly, and the inside with a clean shop towel and clean power steering fluid [just because I didn't want to contaminate the inside of the reservoir, but I managed to get it pretty clean, fluid doesn't bead up and it doesn't look like there is any gunk or loose particles floating in the fluid]).

I then repeated the process in reverse. Put new O-rings on, put the old/clean reservoir on the new pump, installed the pump, put the pulley back on, the belt and hoses, and filled the reservoir. There seems to be no leaks, I haven't checked this morning yet) everything seems to be snug and in it's place. The only thing I have left to do is bleed the air from the lines. Bubbles came to the top of the reservoir, but not very many. My Dad said there may not be very much air in the lines due to the fact that the bubbles came up through the reservoir. You have to really know my dad and how he works to understand that I question his take on this. I'm not sure if he's right?

I know I need to jack the car up, get under there, and find the bleeder valve. It's supposed to be on the steering box, right? I couldn't find it top side yesterday evening. I followed the pressure hose to the box and felt around and tried to see what I could, but didn't seem to stumble over something I'd release the fluid with.

What does it look like? Where the heck is it? Also, any suggestions to do this better or something I didn't do but should have? Your help is much appreciated.
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!
musicbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 01:00 PM   #2
edwin108
2nd Gear Member
 
edwin108's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Vehicle: 2010 GT
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 274
shlbygt500 shlbygt500
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicbox View Post
I figured instead of making a new thread everytime I'm having issues that I need help with I'd just make one thread and post it all in here. It'll bump every time I post. I figured it would just be way easier this way and clutter the board up less.

Right now I need help with something, actually. I've searched using bing and google, and poked around in here and can't find exactly what I'm needing to know. Slap the noob with the ruler if I over looked it.

Car is an '02 Mustang 3.8L V6 Automatic

I just changed my power steering pump (a reman OEM 20-250), unhooked both lines at the reservoir/pump and drained it, took the belt off, took the pulley off, took the pump out, finally pried the damn reservoir off, (knew it was just a slide on/off but it's never that easy XD) and I cleaned the reservoir, (outside with break cleaner spray, dried thoroughly, and the inside with a clean shop towel and clean power steering fluid [just because I didn't want to contaminate the inside of the reservoir, but I managed to get it pretty clean, fluid doesn't bead up and it doesn't look like there is any gunk or loose particles floating in the fluid]).

I then repeated the process in reverse. Put new O-rings on, put the old/clean reservoir on the new pump, installed the pump, put the pulley back on, the belt and hoses, and filled the reservoir. There seems to be no leaks, I haven't checked this morning yet) everything seems to be snug and in it's place. The only thing I have left to do is bleed the air from the lines. Bubbles came to the top of the reservoir, but not very many. My Dad said there may not be very much air in the lines due to the fact that the bubbles came up through the reservoir. You have to really know my dad and how he works to understand that I question his take on this. I'm not sure if he's right?

I know I need to jack the car up, get under there, and find the bleeder valve. It's supposed to be on the steering box, right? I couldn't find it top side yesterday evening. I followed the pressure hose to the box and felt around and tried to see what I could, but didn't seem to stumble over something I'd release the fluid with.

What does it look like? Where the heck is it? Also, any suggestions to do this better or something I didn't do but should have? Your help is much appreciated.
I would turn the wheel lock to lock several times while the engine is running. This should make any air in the system bubble out of the reservoir.
__________________
2010 Mustang GT Premium Grabber Blue / 4.6L 3V / 5MT / 401A / Security / HID / Comfort / TrackPack / 3.73
Ford Racing Hot Rod Cams / Steeda CAI / Steeda CMDPs / Bama Tunes / UPR Oil Catch Can / Shaftmasters 3.5" Aluminum DS


Last edited by edwin108; 04-22-2013 at 01:01 PM. Reason: Typo
edwin108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 02:15 PM   #3
musicbox
1st Gear Member
 
musicbox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Vehicle: 2002 Ford Mustang
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 58
musicbox33
Default

Right, so I wouldn't have to worry about the bleed valve?
__________________
musicbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 03:14 PM   #4
edwin108
2nd Gear Member
 
edwin108's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Vehicle: 2010 GT
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 274
shlbygt500 shlbygt500
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicbox View Post
Right, so I wouldn't have to worry about the bleed valve?
I don't think so, just make sure the reservoir has fluid in it when you turn the wheel. You may have to add more fluid after the air is purged from the system.

Did you use power steering fluid? The owner's manual specifies Mercon ATF.
__________________
2010 Mustang GT Premium Grabber Blue / 4.6L 3V / 5MT / 401A / Security / HID / Comfort / TrackPack / 3.73
Ford Racing Hot Rod Cams / Steeda CAI / Steeda CMDPs / Bama Tunes / UPR Oil Catch Can / Shaftmasters 3.5" Aluminum DS

edwin108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 03:32 PM   #5
musicbox
1st Gear Member
 
musicbox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Vehicle: 2002 Ford Mustang
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 58
musicbox33
Default

No, I didn't see that. I haven't really read up on it, mostly because it was bought used without one.

I started it and it started fine. I started turning the wheels and it made a god awful low pitched whine. I turned it a time or two and shut if off just to check the fluid, it was all foamed up and bubbly. Does this mean it's pushing the air to the top? Will any air get stuck in the bottom?
__________________
musicbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 03:47 PM   #6
edwin108
2nd Gear Member
 
edwin108's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Vehicle: 2010 GT
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 274
shlbygt500 shlbygt500
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicbox View Post
No, I didn't see that. I haven't really read up on it, mostly because it was bought used without one.

I started it and it started fine. I started turning the wheels and it made a god awful low pitched whine. I turned it a time or two and shut if off just to check the fluid, it was all foamed up and bubbly. Does this mean it's pushing the air to the top? Will any air get stuck in the bottom?
No, the air is rising to the top of the system. Keep turning the wheel lock to lock; it should stop making groaning noises, etc. once all of the air is out of the system. I would change the fluid to ATF as soon as you get a chance.
__________________
2010 Mustang GT Premium Grabber Blue / 4.6L 3V / 5MT / 401A / Security / HID / Comfort / TrackPack / 3.73
Ford Racing Hot Rod Cams / Steeda CAI / Steeda CMDPs / Bama Tunes / UPR Oil Catch Can / Shaftmasters 3.5" Aluminum DS

edwin108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 04:04 PM   #7
musicbox
1st Gear Member
 
musicbox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Vehicle: 2002 Ford Mustang
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 58
musicbox33
Default

It starts out sounding like a field full of cicadas and then goes into a full grown. It sounds awful.
__________________
musicbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 04:11 PM   #8
edwin108
2nd Gear Member
 
edwin108's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Vehicle: 2010 GT
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 274
shlbygt500 shlbygt500
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicbox View Post
It starts out sounding like a field full of cicadas and then goes into a full grown. It sounds awful.
Is there fluid in the reservoir? You'll have to add fluid as you bleed the system. If the sound doesn't go away, try filling the system with Mercon ATF.
__________________
2010 Mustang GT Premium Grabber Blue / 4.6L 3V / 5MT / 401A / Security / HID / Comfort / TrackPack / 3.73
Ford Racing Hot Rod Cams / Steeda CAI / Steeda CMDPs / Bama Tunes / UPR Oil Catch Can / Shaftmasters 3.5" Aluminum DS

edwin108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 10:39 AM   #9
musicbox
1st Gear Member
 
musicbox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Vehicle: 2002 Ford Mustang
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 58
musicbox33
Default

There's something else I need some insight on.

I have a high pitched squeeking noise coming from under the hood. It sounds like it's around the belted area. While driving, the sound gets worse. More high pitched squeel until it's almost screaming and then the damn car will just die. Doesn't seem to have a problem shifting gears, doesn't affect the sound if the AC is on. It's died a few times when moving in reverse.

It's not the belt, bearings in the water pump or the power steering pump. I've replaced all three, noise is still there.


Any ideas or suggestions?
__________________
musicbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 10:45 AM   #10
BabyGT
5th Gear Member
 
BabyGT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Vehicle: 2004 3.9 Vert & 1994 5.0 Vert
Location: Virginia
Posts: 2,038
X757XVeritas
Default

Pull belt, clean pulleys off real good, sounds like its slipping on the main possibly.
__________________


04 3.9l Convertible- Daily driver
94 5.0l Convertible- Work in progress
92 5.0l Hatchback- Another work in progress
BabyGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 10:45 AM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang




Paid Advertisement

 
 
 
Reply

Tags
3.8 v6, power steering, tech

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump

Advertising

Featured Sponsors
Vendor Directory
New Sponsors
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:47 PM.

© Internet Brands, Inc.


This forum is owned and operated by Internet Brands, Inc., a Delaware corporation. It is not authorized or endorsed by the Ford Motor Company and is not affiliated with the Ford Motor Company or its related companies in any way. Ford® is a registered trademark of the Ford Motor Company
Emails Backup