V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

Guide Me

Old 04-22-2013, 08:32 AM
musicbox
1st Gear Member

Post Guide Me

I figured instead of making a new thread everytime I'm having issues that I need help with I'd just make one thread and post it all in here. It'll bump every time I post. I figured it would just be way easier this way and clutter the board up less.

Right now I need help with something, actually. I've searched using bing and google, and poked around in here and can't find exactly what I'm needing to know. Slap the noob with the ruler if I over looked it.

Car is an '02 Mustang 3.8L V6 Automatic

I just changed my power steering pump (a reman OEM 20-250), unhooked both lines at the reservoir/pump and drained it, took the belt off, took the pulley off, took the pump out, finally pried the damn reservoir off, (knew it was just a slide on/off but it's never that easy XD) and I cleaned the reservoir, (outside with break cleaner spray, dried thoroughly, and the inside with a clean shop towel and clean power steering fluid [just because I didn't want to contaminate the inside of the reservoir, but I managed to get it pretty clean, fluid doesn't bead up and it doesn't look like there is any gunk or loose particles floating in the fluid]).

I then repeated the process in reverse. Put new O-rings on, put the old/clean reservoir on the new pump, installed the pump, put the pulley back on, the belt and hoses, and filled the reservoir. There seems to be no leaks, I haven't checked this morning yet) everything seems to be snug and in it's place. The only thing I have left to do is bleed the air from the lines. Bubbles came to the top of the reservoir, but not very many. My Dad said there may not be very much air in the lines due to the fact that the bubbles came up through the reservoir. You have to really know my dad and how he works to understand that I question his take on this. I'm not sure if he's right?

I know I need to jack the car up, get under there, and find the bleeder valve. It's supposed to be on the steering box, right? I couldn't find it top side yesterday evening. I followed the pressure hose to the box and felt around and tried to see what I could, but didn't seem to stumble over something I'd release the fluid with.

What does it look like? Where the heck is it? Also, any suggestions to do this better or something I didn't do but should have? Your help is much appreciated.
Old 04-22-2013, 12:00 PM
edwin108
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by musicbox
I figured instead of making a new thread everytime I'm having issues that I need help with I'd just make one thread and post it all in here. It'll bump every time I post. I figured it would just be way easier this way and clutter the board up less.

Right now I need help with something, actually. I've searched using bing and google, and poked around in here and can't find exactly what I'm needing to know. Slap the noob with the ruler if I over looked it.

Car is an '02 Mustang 3.8L V6 Automatic

I just changed my power steering pump (a reman OEM 20-250), unhooked both lines at the reservoir/pump and drained it, took the belt off, took the pulley off, took the pump out, finally pried the damn reservoir off, (knew it was just a slide on/off but it's never that easy XD) and I cleaned the reservoir, (outside with break cleaner spray, dried thoroughly, and the inside with a clean shop towel and clean power steering fluid [just because I didn't want to contaminate the inside of the reservoir, but I managed to get it pretty clean, fluid doesn't bead up and it doesn't look like there is any gunk or loose particles floating in the fluid]).

I then repeated the process in reverse. Put new O-rings on, put the old/clean reservoir on the new pump, installed the pump, put the pulley back on, the belt and hoses, and filled the reservoir. There seems to be no leaks, I haven't checked this morning yet) everything seems to be snug and in it's place. The only thing I have left to do is bleed the air from the lines. Bubbles came to the top of the reservoir, but not very many. My Dad said there may not be very much air in the lines due to the fact that the bubbles came up through the reservoir. You have to really know my dad and how he works to understand that I question his take on this. I'm not sure if he's right?

I know I need to jack the car up, get under there, and find the bleeder valve. It's supposed to be on the steering box, right? I couldn't find it top side yesterday evening. I followed the pressure hose to the box and felt around and tried to see what I could, but didn't seem to stumble over something I'd release the fluid with.

What does it look like? Where the heck is it? Also, any suggestions to do this better or something I didn't do but should have? Your help is much appreciated.
I would turn the wheel lock to lock several times while the engine is running. This should make any air in the system bubble out of the reservoir.

Last edited by edwin108; 04-22-2013 at 12:01 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 04-22-2013, 01:15 PM
musicbox
1st Gear Member

Right, so I wouldn't have to worry about the bleed valve?
Old 04-22-2013, 02:14 PM
edwin108
2nd Gear Member

Right, so I wouldn't have to worry about the bleed valve?
I don't think so, just make sure the reservoir has fluid in it when you turn the wheel. You may have to add more fluid after the air is purged from the system.

Did you use power steering fluid? The owner's manual specifies Mercon ATF.
Old 04-22-2013, 02:32 PM
musicbox
1st Gear Member

No, I didn't see that. I haven't really read up on it, mostly because it was bought used without one.

I started it and it started fine. I started turning the wheels and it made a god awful low pitched whine. I turned it a time or two and shut if off just to check the fluid, it was all foamed up and bubbly. Does this mean it's pushing the air to the top? Will any air get stuck in the bottom?
Old 04-22-2013, 02:47 PM
edwin108
2nd Gear Member

No, I didn't see that. I haven't really read up on it, mostly because it was bought used without one.

I started it and it started fine. I started turning the wheels and it made a god awful low pitched whine. I turned it a time or two and shut if off just to check the fluid, it was all foamed up and bubbly. Does this mean it's pushing the air to the top? Will any air get stuck in the bottom?
No, the air is rising to the top of the system. Keep turning the wheel lock to lock; it should stop making groaning noises, etc. once all of the air is out of the system. I would change the fluid to ATF as soon as you get a chance.
Old 04-22-2013, 03:04 PM
musicbox
1st Gear Member

It starts out sounding like a field full of cicadas and then goes into a full grown. It sounds awful.
Old 04-22-2013, 03:11 PM
edwin108
2nd Gear Member

It starts out sounding like a field full of cicadas and then goes into a full grown. It sounds awful.
Is there fluid in the reservoir? You'll have to add fluid as you bleed the system. If the sound doesn't go away, try filling the system with Mercon ATF.
Old 04-24-2013, 09:39 AM
musicbox
1st Gear Member

There's something else I need some insight on.

I have a high pitched squeeking noise coming from under the hood. It sounds like it's around the belted area. While driving, the sound gets worse. More high pitched squeel until it's almost screaming and then the damn car will just die. Doesn't seem to have a problem shifting gears, doesn't affect the sound if the AC is on. It's died a few times when moving in reverse.

It's not the belt, bearings in the water pump or the power steering pump. I've replaced all three, noise is still there.

Any ideas or suggestions?
Old 04-24-2013, 09:45 AM
BabyGT
5th Gear Member

Pull belt, clean pulleys off real good, sounds like its slipping on the main possibly.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Guide Me