V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

Tranny Stuck in First & Won't Turn On

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2013, 12:38 PM
mo3nzo

Exclamation Tranny Stuck in First & Won't Turn On

I was doing some work on car and think I screwed something up.

So here's the problem:

I was installing an MM clutch pedal height adjuster so it gets lower and closer to the brake pedal. Before adjusting the clutch cable, I took it for a drive to test the position. Before I'm back as I heel toe from 4th to 3rd a loud grind comes up and it doesn't go into 3rd, so I coast in neutral.

Car would only go into 4th and not into any other gear. So I push the car back into my parking lot, and when turned on I can't engage ANY gear, but when off it went through all of them. When the car is on, and I tried to push it into other gears I'd get resistance and a low toned grumble.

So I tried to start it in 1st gear, it starts, dies, now the car is stuck in first, it won't turn on, and I have no idea what's wrong :s When I attempted to turn it on again I heard a grumble/crackle sound and didn't touch it again.

Pulled off shifter handle and the tranny oil is at the low end (not sure if that's where it's supposed to be), and I can see the bottom end of the shifter twisted at an angle and stuck there (no it's not bent, just turned sideways).

So the question is, did I break my 1-2 shift fork? Or is the cable in need of adjustment? Or did I break the T/O bearing?

I did have issued with the T/O and was going to change it next week until this happened.

HELP Please, want to fix this myself but don't know what to look for.
Old 04-24-2013, 03:41 PM
PNYXPRESS
5th Gear Member

Sounds like the clutch is wore out or not disengaging when you push the pedal. When cranked in gear, does the car try to move forward with the clutch pushed in?
Old 04-25-2013, 08:19 AM
mo3nzo

Originally Posted by PNYXPRESS
Sounds like the clutch is wore out or not disengaging when you push the pedal. When cranked in gear, does the car try to move forward with the clutch pushed in?
No the car doesn't move forward when I do that.

I got the gear to get back in neutral again - the clutch pedal needed to be re-tightened lol.

But the shifter still doesn't go into gear - only when off.
Old 04-25-2013, 02:58 PM
PNYXPRESS
5th Gear Member

Still sounds like the clutch isnt fully disengaging when you press the pedal in.
Old 04-26-2013, 09:14 AM
mo3nzo

Still sounds like the clutch isnt fully disengaging when you press the pedal in.
Probably so, do you know what a bad clutch fork looks like?

Gonna pull it out next week, I know what a bad clutch and TOB should look like but not the fork.

Thanks!
Old 04-26-2013, 09:44 AM
PNYXPRESS
5th Gear Member

fork usually doesnt go bad unless you somehow bent it. there is a rivet that holds a clip where the TOB clips in and that will become loose also.
Old 05-02-2013, 11:14 AM
mo3nzo

fork usually doesnt go bad unless you somehow bent it. there is a rivet that holds a clip where the TOB clips in and that will become loose also.
So I installed a firewall cable adjuster and adjusted the cable tension, and now the gears engage with car on - took it for a spin and it's all good.

But two things:

It's VERY hard to put the car into first gear, fifth, and reverse. I had issues with 5th an reverse before so I think it's normal. But first i gotta fully depress the clutch all the way to the floor to get it to disengage.

Secondly, when the clutch is engaged and i hit the throttle quickly, I hear a deep grinding sound right afterwards with the car in neutral. Does this mean the pedal still has some slack? Or is it too stiff?

Thanks for the help
Old 05-02-2013, 01:46 PM
PNYXPRESS
5th Gear Member

You may have burnt up the clutch before you added the adjuster. This would be why its hard to get in 1st and reverse. It may also be the problem with 5th as it has syncros made of a different material.