V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

how to make my stang look like a muscle car?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2013, 04:56 PM
zentin
Banned

Default how to make my stang look like a muscle car?

again thinking of the dual exhaust. so far got the thrush turbo muffler on stock exhaust system and it barely sounds louder cuz the stock cat converters.

if i get a 459$ pypes catback exhaust system, would it sound better or will it sound the same cuz the cats and the y pipe?

what other mods?

thinking of windo louvers but idk if its worth 300$

thinking of racing stripes they seem affordable, the vinyl ones and looks so cool

thats it for now
Old 04-21-2013, 05:26 PM
LilRoush
6th Gear Member

Pypes sucks. The sound is poor, the quality of the exhaust is poor and the fitment is horrid.

SpinTech, Borla or Flowmaster. Get on Youtube and figure out which you like the most. I went with SpinTech 333SCS on my V6. Opened up the most tq compared to all the others I dyno tested.

$300 for the louver is a bit much for that look in my opinion. I have them on my '70...back when they were cool. For $300, I'd look into a used Cobra front bumper and Steeda wing or something a bit more aggressive.
Old 04-21-2013, 05:34 PM
warthogdriver
2nd Gear Member

you can get the louver from american muscle...i did.
i have been adding satin black accents...i am modeling mine somewhat on the late 60's look.
i have the lower rear bumper, rocker trim and 94-95 cobra spoiler on all done with satin black. also installed the chin spoiler.
i would cruise the net till something catches your eye.
Old 04-22-2013, 07:00 AM
zentin
Banned

cool, thinking of getting the 100$ racing stripes from americanmuscle.com, with my dark green mustang do you think it would be better to get white racing stripes or black?

l]

Last edited by zentin; 04-22-2013 at 05:15 PM.
Old 04-22-2013, 08:01 AM
bronxbomba63
4th Gear Member

Because of your black rims, I would go with black stripes. I would even replace the gold rocker stripes you have with black...or delete them all together. I'm not a fan of stripes on SN-95's but it's all personal taste. As far as exhausts, I had dual Flowmaster's Super 40's on my 05 V6 and they sounded mean!
Old 04-22-2013, 11:25 AM
Sonic Mustang
Banned

You asked what will make your 'Stang look like a muscle car, not sound like a muscle car.

Anything from a '41 ******, a '55 Bel Air, a '63 Falcon, a '78 Buick Regal to a 2013 Mustang Shelby 500 can look like a muscle car. A stock Shelby looks like a muscle car. The others do not look like muscle cars in their stock forms. Why? It's the stance.

If it's on stock skinny wheels and tires, it doesn't look like a muscle car. Instead of stripes, louvers, and exhaust, I'd by a set of wheels and tires for the same amount of money or less. Rattle-canned black stock wheels don't cut it either.

As far as louvers and stripes go, I think most cosmetic add-ons look like ****.

First, the owner isn't a automotive designer and has no concept of what looks good. Second, often the owner piece-meals his cosmetic modifications over a period of time with mo master plan and the car winds up looking like a rolling Pep Boys accessories aisle.

A lot of guys think they can make their cars look better. Most can't. If they knew what they were doing, they would be Camillo Pardo or J Mays. If they had good taste and a sense of overall design like Chip Foose, they wouldn't ask other peoples' opinions on what to do.

Aftermarket tape stripes and louvers won't fool anybody over 6 years old into thinking your Mustang is a muscle car.

It's your car and you should do what YOU want. If you're not sure, don't go by other people's opinions because you'll be sorry a few weeks later.

Last edited by Sonic Mustang; 04-22-2013 at 11:29 AM.
Old 04-22-2013, 05:41 PM
zentin
Banned

Originally Posted by bronxbomba63
Because of your black rims, I would go with black stripes. I would even replace the gold rocker stripes you have with black...or delete them all together. I'm not a fan of stripes on SN-95's but it's all personal taste. As far as exhausts, I had dual Flowmaster's Super 40's on my 05 V6 and they sounded mean!
Nice, right now I just got the stock muffler replaced with a thrush turbo, but if i get the catback flowmasters will it sound better? the guy at the muffler shop, which is very reputable, said it wouldn't sound any different because 98 mustang v6 has 4 catalytic converters and he cant touch em, so nothing in front of the y-pipe short of a muffler delete will make much difference. But with the flowmasters pipes should make it better, right?
Originally Posted by Sonic Mustang
You asked what will make your 'Stang look like a muscle car, not sound like a muscle car.
If I get a dual catback exhaust system, in addition to hopes of a better sound I will have a cleaner looking exhaust system as well as 2 pipes coming out of my back, which can be considered to look more muscly.
Old 04-22-2013, 06:19 PM
LilRoush
6th Gear Member

Aggressive look:
Cobra front bumper
Cobra /'95 Cobra R/Saleen heat extraction hood
Steeda race wing
'98 Cobra wheels ( the 5 spoke version in dark grey or matte black)
Eibach Sportlines or H&R Super Sport springs (CC plates, fox body shocks and struts)
13" Cobra/Mach/Bullitt brakes up front (with solid rotors) - or any big brake kit from American Muscle
Cobra / Export mirrors (painted body color)
Dual exhaust

You'll look clean, and much more aggressive than stock. Not too much, just enough to stand out.

Last edited by LilRoush; 04-22-2013 at 06:21 PM.
Old 04-22-2013, 08:24 PM
warthogdriver
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Sonic Mustang
......A lot of guys think they can make their cars look better. Most can't. If they knew what they were doing, they would be Camillo Pardo or J Mays. If they had good taste and a sense of overall design like Chip Foose, they wouldn't ask other peoples' opinions on what to do.......
while i agree with the last part regarding asking around, i disagree with the first part. i have been to a lot of car shows...and yes i know not all our cars are show quality....i think the avg joe can do a good job. granted yes there are some that go to the chrome stick on aisle and buy one of everything.

if your in doubt look thru the net, or esp ride of the month threads. take your time and think it thru, pick a theme or style and dedicate the car to that. if you put a little of everything into it you will have a jumbled mess. i think the key is to be subtle.

lilroush:

gonna hijack a little.

just stock sized foxbody shocks/struts?
reason i ask is i just put Ford 'c' springs on my ride and been looking into the shock/strut step to finish the deal.
thanks for any advice.

Last edited by warthogdriver; 04-22-2013 at 08:44 PM.
Old 04-22-2013, 08:27 PM
DocSnickers
3rd Gear Member

hmmm yeah V6 is never going to sound like a muscle car but it can look the part. He is right you will not get much of a sound difference. You may want to check out some of the exhaust manufacture websites. Some of them should have full conversion kits that may include high flow cats.

Some exhaust shops are just really scared to touch the cats so a full system like that could change their mind.

Quick Reply: how to make my stang look like a muscle car?