Search

Go Back   MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters
Sponsored by Optima Batteries

Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

Old 04-27-2013, 11:24 PM   #1
Tinkham11

Vehicle: 1995 Ford Mustang
Default Car bottoms out around turns

My 1995 Mustang has a problem where when I go around turns or over bumps it tends to bottom out. It happens with or without people in the back seat too. The rear wheels have spacers in them that make the wheel stick out about 1 1/2 in. When I bought it we put news springs or shocks, cant remember, on it thinking that would fix it but it didn't. I'm not entirely sure if the car was lowered before I got it, so i'm not sure if that has something to do with it or not. I bought it about 4 years ago but was never too worried about it because it wasn't a daily driver. I will soon be graduating trade school and for a while it will be my daily driver so I would like to find out what is wrong. I would prefer to have the spacers on the rear tires but if need be I can take them off. Anyone have any ideas on what might be wrong? I'm not too great with cars so I have no idea what could be wrong so I wanted to ask here. This link is to some pictures of my car for a referance: http://s683.photobucket.com/user/bos...?sort=3&page=1
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!
Tinkham11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 10:55 PM   #2
BabyGT
4th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2004 3.9 Vert & 1994 5.0 Vert
X757XVeritas

Doesn't appear to be lowered, I'd say you prolly replaced the shocks, chances are if you were bottoming out before then your springs and shocks need replacing.
My 04 had blown shocks on it for so long that when I finally got it and starting driving it the springs were already sagging bad and starting bottoming out.

Replaced the shocks and it did nothing, cleared right up when I replaced the springs as well.

04 3.9l Convertible- Daily driver
94 5.0l Convertible- Work in progress
92 5.0l Hatchback- Another work in progress
BabyGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 08:20 AM   #3
Tinkham11

I asked a friend of mine who knows a little bit about cars and he said it may have something to do with the spacers. Any chance the spacers might be causing it? I will get new springs on it when i get the chance to see if that fixes it.
Old 05-01-2013, 12:42 PM   #4
Joshua DeBoard

If nots the exhaust is it?just wondered cause i had that problem
Joshua DeBoard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 10:38 AM   #5
Tinkham11

I don't think so. The exhaust doesn't hit when we go over bumps or anything its just the wheel well area.
Old 06-11-2013, 06:43 AM   #6
petrock
4th Gear Member

Vehicle: '98 3.8L Mustang Convertible

By bottoming out do you mean that the bottom of the car is scraping across the ground? Or do you mean the wheels rub in the wheel wells? If the latter, then its called wheel rub. Take the spacers out and see if the problem goes away. If the rubbing is happening in the wheel well, you should be able to see where the tire is hitting. If its rubbing on the quarter panel, then it is most likely the spacers. Good luck...
Old 06-11-2013, 06:57 PM   #7
UPRSharad
Sponsor

Vehicle: 2011, Ford, Mustang GT
www.facebook.com/sraldiris

your tires are sticking out way past the quarter panels. The spacers are making the tires hit the quarter panels.

Like us at www.facebook.com/TeamUPR
Follow us on Instagram @uprproducts
UPRSharad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 06:26 PM   #8
Tinkham11

I got the springs replaced yesterday and haven't drived it too much but it seems like it has fixed it for now. If it keeps it up then I will try taking out the spacers.
Old 06-14-2013, 11:08 PM   #9
BabyGT
4th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2004 3.9 Vert & 1994 5.0 Vert
X757XVeritas

I have 1 1/2 spacers on mine since December last year, no problems with the rear bottoming with them. If your springs were bad then chances are running that long with bad springs you need new shocks again as well. Or else your gonna kill those springs as well.

04 3.9l Convertible- Daily driver
94 5.0l Convertible- Work in progress
92 5.0l Hatchback- Another work in progress

Last edited by BabyGT; 06-14-2013 at 11:15 PM.
BabyGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 11:08 PM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang

Paid Advertisement