V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

Accel spark plugs or bosch?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2013, 09:27 AM
zentin
Banned

Default Accel spark plugs or bosch?

Might have to replace my spark plugs so been looking at accel and bosch. I hear bosch is very good quality, but accel is listed under "performance", though its like 3 times more expensive than bosch.

So if i get the accel spark plugs, will i notice better acceleration and or gas milage? Is it true that the bosch last longer than the accel? which would you recommend?
Old 04-30-2013, 11:17 AM
musicbox
1st Gear Member

The Accel's you'll need are the U-Grooves Headers. The gap isn't preset on them, a double platinum shorty plug. Going to cost you about $15-$18 a plug. The Bosch is a fine wire double platinum with a preset gap. They're only going to cost you $5 a piece. The warranty is better for the Bosch's. Accel is alright, but I never recommend it to any of my customers. We get a lot of Accel returns. I'd go with Bosch.
Old 04-30-2013, 11:49 AM
Daehawk
4th Gear Member

Ive heard nothing but horror stories with Bosch products. Ill never buy anything Bosch.

I'd use Motorcraft or NGK V plugs.

EDIT: Came back to say stick to copper and not platinum.

EDIT2: oh..a 3rd option is Autolite and a 4th would be AC Delco.

Last edited by Daehawk; 04-30-2013 at 12:18 PM.
Old 04-30-2013, 01:35 PM
TomKat
3rd Gear Member

i like motorcraft or autolite
Old 04-30-2013, 02:21 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by Daehawk
Ive heard nothing but horror stories with Bosch products. Ill never buy anything Bosch.

I'd use Motorcraft or NGK V plugs.

EDIT: Came back to say stick to copper and not platinum.

EDIT2: oh..a 3rd option is Autolite and a 4th would be AC Delco.
but no personal experience with Bosch?

I've used them in my 00 V6 before with zero problems as well as other vehicles I've owned. I bought the car new and had it until 2008. It had 123K miles when I sold it with the Bosch being in there for the last 35K.

Also, you do realize that the OEM factory plug is platinum right? I'm curiuos what your reasoning is for your comment about platinum vs copper?

AND most OEM FORD O2 sensors are also bosch....meaning your Ford...right now..probably has BOSCH in it.

OP for plugs, you won't gain much (except for a lighter wallet) if you go with a "high Performance" plug vs an OEM type. As long as they are gapped correctly and you change your fuel filter and wires as needed, you'll be fine with most plugs.
Old 05-01-2013, 07:27 AM
mustangman02232
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by TomKat
i like motorcraft or autolite
Fwiw pretty sure auto light is the supplier for motorcraft plugs but I agree
Old 05-01-2013, 08:08 AM
Joshua DeBoard

I'd run autolite double plats
Old 05-01-2013, 09:59 AM
PNYXPRESS
5th Gear Member

The performance of the spark plug is largely due to the wires and coil you use also. So unless youve upgraded those, a stock style plug will be just fine.
Old 05-01-2013, 09:24 PM
jthorn9
The Godfather

NGK V Grove is a solid spark plug, reason I'm impressed with them is they hold up very well and aren't as prone as rusting and breaking as other plugs are. Keep in mind, standard copper tip, don't go with platinum or any of that other crap. Mustangs in general just don't seem to like them and they require precise gaping to function correctly and are easy to damage while gaping.

As far as "performance" anything is a partial scam. Reason I say that is because it's marketed towards the uneducated market in thinking they're getting something superior over another "non performance" product. In general they're all about the same, none of them will add performance to the car but some do hold up better than others, that's why I like NGK products. However for spark plug wires and coil just get factory OEM replacements. Zero chance of something not fitting, not functioning, etc. A lot of that aftermarket performance crap is just that, CRAP.
Old 05-02-2013, 12:59 PM
musicbox
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by mustangman02232
Fwiw pretty sure auto light is the supplier for motorcraft plugs but I agree
They are. Honeywell makes them both.

Quick Reply: Accel spark plugs or bosch?