V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

Won't start, no fuel pressure

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2013, 12:55 AM
elsmootho

Unhappy Won't start, no fuel pressure

2000 3.8 V6 Mustang, Car un storage for 6months, now wont start.

When the Ignition key turned to the ON position;
- NO fuel pump sound near tank. Never hear a fuel pump sound at any time.
- There is a short 2sec. sound under the hood, not sure what it is.
- Fuel Pressure is zero measured with pressure guage at schrader valve.
- IFS Inertia switch is pressed in, seems ok.
- PATS system Theft light goes from short blink every three seconds
3seconds on and then turns off.

Is there an easy way to check the power signal going to fuel pump? What about the Fuel pressure switch/regulator on the fuel rail, could that thing be stuck(maybe dry or sticky)? Is there a way to check it? How does that switch interact with the fuel pump, does it turn the fuel pump off when the pressure is too high (or the switch is stuck) ?

Thanks & Best Regards..
Old 05-05-2013, 06:02 AM
LilRoush
6th Gear Member

You're best bet is drop the tank and look at the pump. They tend to go bad if you let them sit. There's a little cheap plastic hose on them that can crack over time if left dry, so even if it does kick on, it's pumping right back into the tank.
Old 05-13-2013, 12:18 AM
elsmootho

Connector C420, a 7pin round connector at the rear of the car just next to the gas tank slightly right of the Licence plate (pass side) can be used to check the Fuel pump. Seperate the 7pin connector and on the female locate the BN/PK(Brown/Pink) that is the positive of the fuel pump Motor. The negative is the RD/BK(Red/Black) wire. You can apply 12volts to those pins just to see if your pump works. You can also check the Inertia Fuel Shutoff (in trunk near drivers side taillight) right on the connector on the PK/BK(Pink/Black) wire to see if fuse is good and power is getting through to the Fuel Pump Driver Module. You can also check the Male side of C420 BN/PK(Brown/Pink) wire to see if power is getting there from the Fuel Pump Driver Module.
Old 05-13-2013, 12:38 AM
elsmootho

Now can someone tell me how to siphon fuel out of the tank? I tried different size hoses down the filler neck but the hose jams at the bottom of the filler tube as if they put a screen down there to prevent people from stealing gas? Does anyone knwo about this?
I tried sucking the fuel out of the fuel line with an external pump, that didnt work either.

Then i tried removeing the filer tube from the tank (so i could drain the tank), but its jammed into a big grommet and i cant work it loose. Do i need to disassemble the whole filler neck piece from the quarter panel or do i remove the filler tube as i am lowering the tank off the car?

Thanks in advance..!
Old 05-14-2013, 10:00 PM
tvmustang

I had something like this happen to my mustang after pulling it out of storage. I drove it around town the previous day and no problems after pulling it out of storage. Then it broke down a block from my house after making the 50 mile trip to campus and back. The car stalled out taking off from an intersection and we towed it home because it wouldn't start back up. As soon as it made it home the car started back up and no problems since I have probably 300 miles on the car since the little incident. I've just been running some lucas oil through the fuel system since. I got lucky; however it seems that you will have to remove and repair the fuel pump. You're just going to have to keep trying to fish a hose into the gas tank in order to get the fuel out (there is no easy way about it).
Old 05-14-2013, 11:02 PM
elsmootho

Are you saying that eventually i might be able to get a hose to fit through the check valve at the bottom of the filler neck?
Old 05-15-2013, 06:56 AM
tvmustang

Unless I am mistaken, there is no check valve at the bottom of the filler neck. You just have to push hard and use a flexible enough tube to make it around the bends in the filler neck. And you do need to unbolt the filler neck from inside the gas door on the car. Get someone to help you with this and lower the tank enough to siphon the fuel out through the side of the tank once the filler neck is removed. Also do to the age of the car you should probably just replace the grommet for where the filler neck mates to the fuel tank. If you still cant siphon the fuel out of the car than just lower the tank with the fuel in it down enough that you can remove that filler neck and siphon the fuel out there. Check out this video for a little help.

Old 05-16-2013, 11:23 PM
elsmootho

@tvmustang, Damn good video, thanks, takes some of the mystery out of that filler neck... What a pain in the...