V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

headlight/fog lights help 97 stang

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2013, 09:42 PM
Epoweredrc
1st Gear Member

Default headlight/fog lights help 97 stang

Hi everyone, I have a 97 mustang v6 and it doesn't have fog lights, it has the spots in the front bumper for them but no lights, never was in it as far as i know.
I am driving at night a lot now, ( new job) and I have a hard time seeing to drive even with my glasses on, I know the headlights are fog up, so maybe cleaning them might help me see?? or buying new ones, found a new set on ebay for like $50 free shipping seems pretty good

But also i like to put in some fog lights I can run the wiring and all that is not a issue for me, but need to know what all I need to do it, I guess I will need both fog light holders, and some type of bracket? then will need the bulbs, wiring to hook up and wire to run to a switch inside, is this all I need?

will any of the headlights and or fog lights fit my car its just a v6 mustang it doesnt have cut outs for the round lights its the funny shaped ones.

I found some of them on ebay also but seem more pricey as they sell them only one, either side not both together.
or should i just go to a junk yard to see if i could find everything i needed

thanks

Also I read you can only put up to a certain voltage or wattage bulb in to replace the stock headlight bulbs? i was thinking about just brighter bulbs not sure what to buy mine are stock and what came in the car as far as I know.
Old 05-07-2013, 03:35 AM
Daehawk
4th Gear Member

I cant say really as I run a Cobra front end and fog lights.....which need to be repaired hahaha.

But over the years being on this forum I can help you feel better about it.

1. You may already have a switch for it in side.
2. Junkyard would be fine....but.........
3. You will need a wiring harness for it.
4. I think others used a Dremel to cut out their plastic fog light blocking material pretty easy.
5. Thats all I got. but it sure makes your car look sharper in the evening and at night.

Good luck!!
Old 05-07-2013, 11:25 PM
Epoweredrc
1st Gear Member

okay so i got down there and really looked at wher the fog lights go, I did see the black plastic where the holes are, I guess thats what you ment you have to cut out. don't see much to mount to, ive been wanting to put a front tag on the car forever its got the dimples in the plastic bumper but wasn't sure what was behind the bumper, looks like a big piece of foam so guess it be okay to get some plastic screws and put a tag on it.

my headlight bulbs are salvainis I ment to write down the number but forgot. is this onsidered the stock bulbs?

My headlight housings look really bad i tryed to clean one of them but not sure it looks any better. how do the headlights come out? i figured out how to remove the turn signal but not sure on the headlight or do you have to remove the whole bracket for turn sig headlight and everything? looks like the whole front piece might come off.

thanks
Old 05-08-2013, 06:31 AM
mustangman02232
6th Gear Member

94-98 should be wired for them, just plug in and put the switch in.

If your really in the middle of nowhere I would buy a pair of rigid industry led lights instead on the fogs
Old 05-08-2013, 08:52 AM
musicbox
1st Gear Member

My headlights were ****ty yellow and dirty. A guy I work with reccomended this product we sell, it's called Crystal View. It works! I've cleaned my headlights, two other sets of headlights, and a Vol. Fire Fighter's Stelth siren with it. As long as the lens are plastic, it'll work.

Most people say you can clean them with tooth paste, but this CV stuff comes with a two step sealant that keeps it from happening again. Everyone's headlights I cleaned were amazed and have had no complaints, including myself. XD

I highly recommend the ****. It comes with a lifetime warranty, plus it's a lot cheaper than all the other headlight restoration products, or about the same price, depending on your area.

I'll post some before and after pictures when I get home from work. I can't access my facebook headlight page from here. lol
Old 05-08-2013, 04:10 PM
Epoweredrc
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by mustangman02232
94-98 should be wired for them, just plug in and put the switch in.

If your really in the middle of nowhere I would buy a pair of rigid industry led lights instead on the fogs
wired for them? I do not see any wires down there for them at all, not sure why there not on the car, the ones with the lights stock the switch is in the middle console where the change holders are correct? wonder if i could get hold of one of those switches.

I looked at lights on ebay, thinking just buying some LED driving lights and wiring them in with the headlights.

I need them on all time with lights I am blind.
Old 05-11-2013, 09:15 PM
Epoweredrc
1st Gear Member

Guess i need to grab the manual from my folks home and read it to figure out how the lights come out, think imma just buy some new ones from ebay but still figuring out what to do about fog lights
Old 05-11-2013, 09:49 PM
Kiwicrazybird

From experience, cleaning doesn't help when the stock headlights get that "film" on them. Mine were so bad when I bought my car, I might as well not have had any lights at night. It's best to replace the whole units. I would strongly suggest you go for better quality than the $50 ones, and get the xenon bulbs. I think my headlights cost $120 when I replaced them (middle of the road). They were a million times better for visibility, even though I kept the stock bulbs until one burnt out. I replaced the stock bulbs (halogen, I think?) with the xenon and they are like driving with brights on. Seriously the brightest lights I've ever had on a car.

The headlights are super easy to take out BTW. Just take out the clips holding them in, work them out a little, then disconnect the part that holds the bulbs (twists out). It should only take 15/20 minutes to completely replace them. YouTube has tons of videos on how to get them out.
Old 05-12-2013, 09:12 PM
Epoweredrc
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Kiwicrazybird
From experience, cleaning doesn't help when the stock headlights get that "film" on them. Mine were so bad when I bought my car, I might as well not have had any lights at night. It's best to replace the whole units. I would strongly suggest you go for better quality than the $50 ones, and get the xenon bulbs. I think my headlights cost $120 when I replaced them (middle of the road). They were a million times better for visibility, even though I kept the stock bulbs until one burnt out. I replaced the stock bulbs (halogen, I think?) with the xenon and they are like driving with brights on. Seriously the brightest lights I've ever had on a car.

The headlights are super easy to take out BTW. Just take out the clips holding them in, work them out a little, then disconnect the part that holds the bulbs (twists out). It should only take 15/20 minutes to completely replace them. YouTube has tons of videos on how to get them out.
Thanks for the info, When i ment the $50 lights I was talking about the replacement lights not the bulbs, so there are driffrent headlight housings?

i know how to take bulb out just couldn't figure out the lights themselves.
Old 05-13-2013, 08:59 AM
musicbox
1st Gear Member

Ohh. You've got glass sealed beams on that model, huh? My bad.

Quick Reply: headlight/fog lights help 97 stang