V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

Shimmy after new tires and rims

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2013, 04:19 AM
RagtopWalt

Default Shimmy after new tires and rims

I bought a set of 18x9 American Muscle bullitt motorsport wheels with sumitomo tires. I started getting a shimmy. Took it in for an alignment and they noticed one of the shock mounts was somewhat loose. I replaced both front shocks and mounts. Still shimmys. Last fall I replaced calipers and rotors in front, due to dragging brakes. Crud build up. Cleaned out the system so it wouldn't foul the new set up. Everything was fine after that, and I don't think I warped a rotor since then because the shimmy started the second I put the new tires and rims on. Ball joints and tie rods all check out. All I can think of is that the balancing done by A.M. is suspect. The issue is mostly noticeable when braking , while turning right coming off the highway off ramp. One might say it's the rotors, but other times it happens at random with no braking involved, at normal city speeds (35-45). If you let go of the wheel and you can see it going back and forth. This is confusing because the brakes won't cause that. Any ideas?
Old 05-18-2013, 05:38 AM
jpplaw
3rd Gear Member

Get a re-balance, worse case you got an out of round/warped/not true wheel. It happens - the wheels are made in China
Old 05-18-2013, 08:51 AM
orlando569

Red face

Same thing happened to me, not to discount what jpplaw wrote because he could be right..................sometimes with after market rims the hub does not completely center to the rim......you may need to purchase hub rings. They are inexpensive and fill the gap between the hub and the rim. Also have all four of your tires Road Force Balanced their is a difference between Road Force balancing and Regular Rim and tire Balancing. The cost was around $75 but that here on Orlando Fl. My Stang rides completely different. I just did this yesterday for the second time after my Nittos wore out. I just changed over to Hankook and the balance was off though the rim was the same with the Nittos. Ride is smooth at all speeds..... Hope this helps... Best to you
Old 05-19-2013, 02:01 AM
RagtopWalt

Thanks guys...I have to agree. I'll have the wheels rebalanced before spending anymore money chasing this issue.
Old 05-20-2013, 11:47 AM
AMDanBailer
Former Sponsor

Definitely get the wheels rebalanced and tires checked, just to be sure. If you're still getting the shimmy, then you may want to look into the break assembly and further into the suspension.

Since you ordered these wheels and tires mounted and balanced, we can reimburse you for the charge of re balancing. Just let my CS team know! Our Mustang Experts are here Monday-Friday from 9AM-9PM EST and Saturdays from 9AM-5:30PM EST. If you want to hit them up, their number is 866.727.1266. I can also have one of them call you directly.

I hope this helps. Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance!

Dan
Old 05-21-2013, 10:08 PM
RagtopWalt

This is getting on my nerves. I had the the wheels re-balanced and another new alignment done. Nothing has changed. I hate to think that these rims are cheap garbage from china, like someone on here suggested, but what else am I supposed to believe? I did not have this shimmy when I was running the 14 year old stock rims with worn tires. Now I can't get rid of this vibration. I've got new calipers and rotors, new struts and mounts and now I'm contemplating a strut brace and whatever else to try and get this thing to stop doing this b.s. Seriously, it's not like I'm expecting too much here. I'm not asking it to pull g's or anything, I just want it to stop shaking!!!
Old 05-22-2013, 01:12 AM
Daehawk
4th Gear Member

I dont understand. If the wheels are bad then a road force test would show it. they would not be fine on the test then bad on the car unless it is not the wheels and tires. Maybe the rods and such.
Old 05-22-2013, 10:34 PM
RagtopWalt

I can't understand either. But after having the wheels rebalanced, I have no choice but to look elsewhere. I'm going with the strut brace next. It may not solve the problem but it can't hurt to tighten things up a bit.