V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

Trade for a '03 Mach 1?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2013, 03:21 AM
MCR
2nd Gear Member

Default Trade for a '03 Mach 1?

I'll get a good $3-4 grand for the V6 I have because it is in perfect condition
Has less than 70000 miles on it
Everything almost brand new from the factory
Just has exhausts so it wouldn't hurt the value
Also has a hood scoop, black rims, and halo's

It's 10 grand for the Mach 1

Go for it? Or no?
Or keep the slow V6? : P

Or just somehow save up for the Terminator (which probably won't ever happen, and no banks around me will finance a vehicle 10 years old)

Last edited by MCR; 05-19-2013 at 03:24 AM.
Old 05-19-2013, 07:39 AM
LilRoush
6th Gear Member

Good price on the Mach1, but you'll never get that out of trade on yours. You'd be lucky to get an outright sale at that price.
To give you an idea, I bought a second vehicle a few years ago. When they asked if I was going to trade in my 2000 V6 Roush, I wasn't going to, but asked what they'd give me for it anyway. They said they accounted for the extra value of the Roush, then offered me $900 for it. I laughed and told them the tires were worth more than that - no thanks.
Old 05-19-2013, 09:18 AM
Rokgtar
2nd Gear Member

LilRoush is right, the dealership isn't going to give you much of anything for your car. However, in some areas, (such as where I live) you could probably get 4-5k for your car if you sell it yourself. Not sure what the value is of your car in NJ, but if you can sell it outright, you'll get a lot more money for it. If the mach 1 is a good deal, and you can swing it, go ahead and buy it, while simultaneously putting your car up for sale. I bet with the right price, you'll sell your 02 V6 pretty quickly.
Old 05-19-2013, 10:22 PM
MCR
2nd Gear Member

Mach 1 has 49000 miles on it

Only thing is I'll miss the V6. I put money into that POS (jk it's not, well performance wise yes)

I'll miss the Saleen rims.
Old 05-21-2013, 08:02 PM
jthorn9
The Godfather

If you pass on a great condition, highly collectible Mach 1 to keep your V6, especially if you can afford it, then, and I don't mean to be rude, you're a moron.

As stated you won't get jack for trade in, you'll have to sell the car outright and will be lucky to get 3-4k on an outright sale. Get the Mach 1 now and just work on selling your V6. Expect it to take quite some time too, and be prepared to take way less than expecting. Just a soft market for private sales right now.
Old 05-22-2013, 12:14 AM
MCR
2nd Gear Member

Damn harsh but straight to the point

I'm going to try and save up and hopefully it'll still be there

But it's been there for a month. Something's definitely wrong if no one's picked up a nice Mach 1 (all yellow with black) for under 50,000 miles for only 10G's

Btw Mach 1 = 17 in tires? I wanna keep my Saleens. They're 17x9
Old 05-22-2013, 03:59 AM
Sonic Mustang
Banned

Originally Posted by MCR

But it's been there for a month. Something's definitely wrong if no one's picked up a nice Mach 1 (all yellow with black) for under 50,000 miles for only 10G's

The Mach 1 is the best over all New Edge Mustang and I've put over 10,000 miles on a few Terminators. The terminator may be quicker, but nothing looks as good as that stupid shaker/hood combination. To me, Terminators look too much like everyday Mustangs.

I walked into the dealership to drive and buy a Terminator and bought a Mach1. Unlike the Terminator's best feature (supercharger), you can see the Mach 1's best feature (Shaker) from the driver's seat every time your behind the wheel for as long as your behind the wheel.

It doesn't shake like it did in 1969 because today's engines use computers to make power instead of radical cams that cause lumpy idle, but when you nail it, the engine torques in its mounts and one side of the shaker lifts up. It kind of looks like the engine is trying to escape from the engine compartment and you'll find yourself flooring the throttle just to watch the shaker move.

Nine years later, I still get a comment from passers by just about every time I drive the Mach 1.

Stock Mach 1 wheels are 8" X 17" with 245/45 17s - same size as GT wheels. Your 17" X 9" Saleens and tires should fit no problem as they are designed to clear Mustang Cobra brakes (which the Mach 1 has). !7" X 9" was the OEM size for Terminator wheels.

If I was buying any late model Ford with aluminum heads, if the car checked out mechanically, I'd negotiate a price subject to having new spark plugs installed at my cost at a shop of the owner's choice or by the owner.

In other words, after deciding to buy the car pay to have the spark plugs changed at your cost. Make it clear that if there is a problem with stripped threads, it's no deal. There's no sense in buying an '03 Mach 1 with fewer spark plug threads than the '04s only to have a problem when you change the plugs.

Here's a suggestion for buying that '03 Mach 1. Negotiate the price SUBJECT TO A mechanical inspection. Hash out a price and tell the dealer, "OK, I'll pay that but I need to have the car mechanically inspected and the spark plugs changed. I'll pay for both. I want to make sure there are no problems with the car and the spark plugs are a known problem, especially with the '03s."

If the mechanic finds problems, you should be able to renegotiate a lower price. When you find out the problems after negotiating the price, the mechanic will give you a retail estimate for the fixes. You'll know that's what it will cost to fix, not the salesman's guesstimate of, "Oh, the noise from the transmission? That shouldn't cost more than $90 to fix."

Last edited by Sonic Mustang; 05-22-2013 at 04:14 AM.
Old 05-22-2013, 03:35 PM
jthorn9
The Godfather

Originally Posted by MCR

There's likely nothing wrong with the car, it's just a very soft market. Remember the Mach 1 is 10-11 years old by now, and not a lot of people are willing to pay $11,000 for a car that old with a V8 in today's "fuel crisis". We, as Mustang enthusiast, know that the V8s are not bad on MPG, but a lot of outsiders don't know that. Also keep in mind the Mustang is still a narrow market. A lot of young people have migrated away from sports cars and into the "euro eco friendly" designs. Older people are more into newer cars that suits family needs. That leaves a very "soft" market for used sports cars. Just be happy that the Mustang and Camaros still hold some value as others late 90s, early 2000 sport cars have not faired so well.
Old 05-22-2013, 05:09 PM
Sonic Mustang
Banned

I got into a discussion with a friend when he told me he was buying a new Toyota Corolla to save money (on gas).

I put together a spread sheet comparing the price, EPA MPG, gasoline type, current price of gasoline, total annual miles and percent highway/city of a new Corolla and a really nice '04 Mach priced at $16,000.

At 12,000 miles per year 50/50 highway/city, you'd have to drive the Toyota over 9 1/2 years to save enough gas to make up for the higher price over the Mach 1.

My friend bought a '04 Mustang GT with 6,000 miles for $12,000. He'll be able to drive it for 11 years before spending as much as he would on that new Corolla.
Old 05-22-2013, 05:14 PM
jthorn9
The Godfather

Yeah, that's the real kicker. A lot of people are so stupid and quick to jump onto the band wagon and pay more for these newer "eco friendly cars" that they never stop to think how long they will have to drive the car to actually save money over what a cheaper that doesn't have the same mpg "savings".

Quick Reply: Trade for a '03 Mach 1?