V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

Another P0340 (Cam Position Sensor) thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2013, 06:09 PM
Bexiesbruv

Default Another P0340 (Cam Position Sensor) thread

Hi folks,
My sons 95 GT has this code.
Looking at other threads I have had the alternator checked and its good.
I have read that the sensor is an easy take off and replace job and I have also read that its difficult because of needing the alignment tool.
Can someone confirm if the tool is needed when only replacing the sensor?
I found some info that suggests its not IF only the sensor is being replaced.

Thanks in advance.

Bex
Old 05-25-2013, 07:14 PM
samiamthemustangman
1st Gear Member

I have done it by putting the number 1 on t.d.c. Remember where the c.p.s. is turned to. Napa sells the tool with the c.p.s.
http://diy-auto-repair.wonderhowto.c...r-3-0l-396567/
Here is a I found after my engine was rebuilt.
Old 05-26-2013, 01:29 PM
Bexiesbruv

Thanks for this info. I check this out then did a search for similar info or videos. What I found was a Guy doing a diagnostic by checking continuity. I was not able to do this but what I did was spray everything I could reach with contact cleaner, the pins, plug and ecm(?). Cleared the code and ran the car a few times. Usually the code comes back after the second cycle of on/off. This time it stayed off but I still have what feels like a misfire still. I started pulling the plug wires and ensuring they were well seated and discovered the right side front most wire (as you look at the engine from the front) was not seated right. I pulled it off and the metal connector was stuck on the end of the spark plug. I guess this could be it put I also guess I need new plug wires?
Can someone confirm this for me?
I pulled this metal sleeve of the end of the plug and pushed it back in the rubber boot. Still getting the misfire.
Thanks again for any and all help.

Bex
Old 05-26-2013, 05:11 PM
Bexiesbruv

I found out how to repair the plug wire, did so and then decided to pull the plugs and check them. They are all looking good but the gaps were huge. I took out each one and reset the gaps to as close as possible to 1.3mm as i have no feeler gauge. Took it out and now I have a code for misfire on #2. Just waiting for the car to cool off and then I will pull that one and try to get a better set on the gap.
Old 05-27-2013, 07:47 PM
Bexiesbruv

So I wrapped this up by changing plugs and plug wires. For anyone that might be in a similar situation:
Cam Sensor code came up and this was fixed with contact cleaner sprayed into the sensor plug/pins and ECM (likely a bad connector)
Next was a code for misfire on Cyl 2 which was fixed with plugs and wires (probably don't need the wires but what the heck)
My thanks to Sam for the info you posted, it was useful.

Cheers 'till next time.

Bex