V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

help?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2013, 09:41 PM
Freddie Romano

Default help?

To start off I'm new to this so I would much appreciate any advice. I just purchased a 2002 V6 mustang and it has about 60,000 miles on it. What can I purchase or do that can make the car run great, run better and ultimately make the engine even more durable and reliable?
Old 07-01-2013, 10:26 PM
Mobiusone stang
2nd Gear Member

First thing most people will say is to get a cold air intake. It brings in more air, makes the engine run more efficiently so therefor its a little better on gas. If u don't wana install do what I did and buy a k&n air filter. It's $60 but u have it for the life of the car so it pays for itself. Also look at doing a dual exhaust bc the single muffler is a bit restrictive.
Old 07-02-2013, 02:46 PM
darcane

Originally Posted by Freddie Romano
To start off I'm new to this so I would much appreciate any advice. I just purchased a 2002 V6 mustang and it has about 60,000 miles on it. What can I purchase or do that can make the car run great, run better and ultimately make the engine even more durable and reliable?
Durable and reliable? Just keep it maintained.

Look in your owner's manual or here's a general guide from Ford: http://www.motorcraftservice.com/pub.../02nmgmg3e.pdf

Regular oil changes, replace the air filter if it's dirty (I prefer OEM paper-type filters over K&N). You may be due to flush the coolant and/or tranny fluid if it hasn't been done yet.

Keep up on maintenance and you should get a couple hundred thousand more miles. It's a robust engine, even if it isn't terribly exciting.
Old 07-02-2013, 10:25 PM
jthorn9
The Godfather

Replace the spark plugs
Replace the spark plug wires
Replace the coil pack
Replace/clean the air filter
Replace the in line fuel filter
Replace the radiator fluid (if brown)
Replace the transmission fluid
Replace the rear end fluid
Replace the O2 sensors
Replace the thermostat engine on the engine
Clean the mass air flow sensor
Clean the air temperature sensor

All of the items I listed above as "replace" do so with factory or OEM replacement quality products. Stay away from useless aftermarket sh*t. Odds are some of the parts/fluids listed above are still factory original and that's not good. Time for a full tune up.
Old 07-03-2013, 03:25 PM
zentin
Banned

Originally Posted by darcane
Durable and reliable? Just keep it maintained.

Look in your owner's manual or here's a general guide from Ford: http://www.motorcraftservice.com/pub.../02nmgmg3e.pdf

Regular oil changes, replace the air filter if it's dirty (I prefer OEM paper-type filters over K&N). You may be due to flush the coolant and/or tranny fluid if it hasn't been done yet.

Keep up on maintenance and you should get a couple hundred thousand more miles. It's a robust engine, even if it isn't terribly exciting.
why don't you like the performance air filters? aren't the factory air filters more restrictive?
Old 07-03-2013, 03:46 PM
BabyGT
5th Gear Member

Some people have issues with the oil from the k&n clogging up the intake sensors and making the car run funny, it's hit or miss, I have a k&n, I find that if you don't go crazy with the oil when you clean it and let it sit in the sun for a whole after you clean and oil it your good.
Old 07-03-2013, 06:01 PM
jthorn9
The Godfather

As long as you follow the proper procedure you will never have a problem with the oil from the filters.
Old 07-05-2013, 05:46 PM
BabyGT
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by jthorn9
As long as you follow the proper procedure you will never have a problem with the oil from the filters.
True, but I wasn't gonna start that can of beans with people screaming I did do it right and it still killed my car.
Old 07-05-2013, 07:24 PM
jthorn9
The Godfather

Originally Posted by BabyGT
True, but I wasn't gonna start that can of beans with people screaming I did do it right and it still killed my car.
Hahaha...well obviously they didn't "do it right".

That's like somebody saying, I wired my house and "I did it right" yet when I flipped the breaker my house burned down lol.
Old 07-05-2013, 08:24 PM
99austin99

my landlord when i was in sixth grade said he "wired the house properly" and then at 12:06am july 5 the breaker pannel exploded and burnt my house down