V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

Squeeky noise when turning or even just driving "straight"

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2013, 03:12 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Spray WD-40 into the wheel well??? NOOOOO!!

Anyway, quick and easy way to test if it's the belt or a pulley that's sqeakin....

With the engine cold, take the belt off the pulleys. Start the motor and drive for no more that a minute or two. Make sure your AC is off, all electrical stuff is off, and do NOT get on it.

Your battery will not be charged and your water pump will not be circulating your cooling system which is why you can only do this for a minute or two. It won't hurt anything as long as shut it down before the battery gets drained and before you heat up.
Old 09-09-2013, 07:55 PM
hurricane1091

I had work all day, then went to the gym and then class. I'm beat, but I'm getting annoyed at this noise. I'm taking a video tomorrow with my phone and uploading it. Please give me some feedback! I'm totally not a car mechanic. My pops knows a lot, but I feel like he's dropping the ball here. If the car makes the noise when turning the wheel when the car is off, it just can't be something under the hood right? It's got to be in the wheel. It has to be the ball joint. I hope someone can confirm this thought tomorrow.

Last edited by hurricane1091; 09-09-2013 at 07:58 PM.
Old 09-09-2013, 10:31 PM
petrock
4th Gear Member

If you can reproduce the squeak with the car not running then it is definitely not the belt or one of its pulleys.

Its not common for ball joints to squeak how you describe, especially not loud enough to be hurt while driving.

Instead of guessing, run the test I suggested in my first post (jack the car up, turn the wheel and look & listen all over). It shouldn’t take too long to pin down where the problem is. We can’t solve your problem for you. We can only guess. You're going to have to get a little dirty and investigate yourself. Once you find the source of the problem, then we can help figuring out how to fix/replace it.
Old 09-10-2013, 02:56 PM
hurricane1091

Here's the video. I'm pretty sure it's the ball joint AND the power steering pump that needs replacing. The "grinding" noise overshadows the "squeeky" noise, but both are there.

Old 09-10-2013, 05:39 PM
NewEdgeSC

The power steering pump does sound like it's going bad, I would also be willing to bet that the squeak you hear is the ball joint or tie rod end. Take a screwdriver and poke a small hole in the rubber boot on the ball joint just big enough to get some wd40 in there and see if the problem goes away. If not do the same to the tie rod end. Whichever you confirm that it is you should replace that part. A lot of factory ball and tie rod joints don't have grease fittings but the aftermarket ones normally do. It is a very common problem on fords and certain other manufacturers to have similar issues with joints.

Last edited by NewEdgeSC; 09-10-2013 at 05:41 PM.
Old 09-11-2013, 01:11 PM
Daehawk
4th Gear Member

From outside all I heard was the power steering pump...but inside there at the end I clearly heard the squeak.
Old 09-11-2013, 04:53 PM
NewEdgeSC

If you can't hear almost a constant squeak then your ears don't work. At exactly 25 seconds you can hear a massive squeak. Then again I have been a mechanic for almost as long as I could walk so I'm used to diagnosing strange noises.

Last edited by NewEdgeSC; 09-11-2013 at 04:56 PM.
Old 09-12-2013, 02:24 AM
GoldMustangV6

Yeah, Mine sounds exactly like that minus the power steering pump. Im taking mine to the shop in the morning, i'll see what they say. Good luck on yours hurricane1091.
Old 09-12-2013, 08:43 AM
hurricane1091

Thanks for the help. I ordered a PSP to put in and took it to a shop to get the Ball Joint replaced. Will update later.
Old 09-12-2013, 04:46 PM
hurricane1091

Ended up being the tie-rod. I should of known. Car felt like **** when I hit bumps but it did that from the time I got the car in July. I could tell I needed brakes, but he let me know so I ended up going to autozone and getting brakes and rotors.

Without starting another topic, the only other issue I'm having with the car is the third brake light. I bought an aftermarket LED one since the old one was oxidized. However, 2/3 of the light does not work. Well, it did work. But only when you play with the wires. Half of it did not work in the old display either and it's the same wires (just now connected to LED lights and a smoked housing). Any idea of what to do?

Quick Reply: Squeeky noise when turning or even just driving "straight"