V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

Possible PATS issue need advice.

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2013, 05:52 PM
flashpoint

Default Possible PATS issue need advice.

Hello new member here and new mustang owner, always wanted one but I never had the funds or I would get side tracked on doing something else. I sold my old F250 farm truck and found a 98 mustang V6 listed for 800 on "gregslist" haha anyways it said they replaced the ignition tumbler but the the key needed to be programed.

Long story short I bought the car for 600 and they did not have the original keys and only 1 new key not to mention looks like there was a bar fight in the car panels are bent or broke the whole center console will have to be replaced and the drivers door must have been used for a swing set or something the latch is busted and the window won't stay up even after I sat it back in it's track.

Now the key issue, first the morons tried drilling out the little push pin that you push in to pull the tumbler out so there is a extra big hole there on the column that allows the ignition tumbler to move back and forth not by much but it still moves. So I slapped a new battery in the car and it cranks just find and sounds like it's about to start but never does, the theft light flashes really fast for a minute or two then goes to blinking slower to where its a good 30 seconds or more between blinking.

I tried the 1 key programming method hoping for the best but not expecting it to work and it didn't. So in all my rambling what I'm trying to ask is where is the comm port for hooking up a code reader? also If you replace the tumbler does it need to be programmed still? I've read tons of posts about programing new keys but if you buy a new tumbler that comes with a key they should already be mated, so is there a process to program the new tumbler into the PATS system? And another question if the computer is bad or transceiver in the steering column is bad will it show on the code reader?

And last question, is there any website that sells replacement OEM interior panels like the door panels or replacement center console?

Ok I lied this is the last question, does anyone have a picture of how the computer module in the passenger floor goes back in there? The monkeys tore all that mess out and left it hanging, I've check the wires they look to be ok but it seems like the module is too big to fit back in there.

Thanks!
Old 09-09-2013, 03:17 AM
NewEdgeSC

You have no choice but to get a locksmith to program your keys after you replace a tumbler. I would check to make sure that the transceiver that goes around the key isn't broken or damaged first. If you turn on the key and let the car sit for a min the theft light will time out and start flashing a 2 digit code. A quick search should tell you what the theft codes mean. Sometimes the PATS system will prevent you from communicating with the pcm to pull the codes via the OBD2 port. If the locksmith has problems programming the keys you will likely have to take it to the stealership.

I have a nice light gray console and all seats just in case you are interested.
Old 09-09-2013, 07:54 PM
flashpoint

alled the dealership today and they told me would probably be around 100 bucks give or take to get me squared away which isn't too bad. I'm very interested in the console and seats NewEdge, if you want pm me a price and I'll see what I can scratch together.
Old 09-10-2013, 12:59 AM
NewEdgeSC

I would like to send you a pm but it doesn't give me the option. Do you have pm's turned off?
Old 09-14-2013, 03:39 PM
Hikari_NOS
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by flashpoint
Now the key issue, first the morons tried drilling out the little push pin that you push in to pull the tumbler out so there is a extra big hole there on the column that allows the ignition tumbler to move back and forth not by much but it still moves. So I slapped a new battery in the car and it cranks just find and sounds like it's about to start but never does, the theft light flashes really fast for a minute or two then goes to blinking slower to where its a good 30 seconds or more between blinking.

I tried the 1 key programming method hoping for the best but not expecting it to work and it didn't. So in all my rambling what I'm trying to ask is where is the comm port for hooking up a code reader? also If you replace the tumbler does it need to be programmed still? I've read tons of posts about programing new keys but if you buy a new tumbler that comes with a key they should already be mated, so is there a process to program the new tumbler into the PATS system?

Ok I lied this is the last question, does anyone have a picture of how the computer module in the passenger floor goes back in there? The monkeys tore all that mess out and left it hanging, I've check the wires they look to be ok but it seems like the module is too big to fit back in there.

Thanks!
Ok so as far as how to reprogram a transponder key, I've found a how to do it: http://www.ehow.com/how_7602240_repr...onder-key.html . Hopefully that should work to reprogram your key to the car, but I wouldn't get my hopes up. The Comm Port you are looking for to hook a code reader up to is located under the driver side knee bolster next to where your stereo sits. It isn't too hard to find, unless someone modded the car and moved it.

One thing you may want to check if the PCM has been messed with is that there is no corrosion on the connectors that sit in front of it. I'll go and take a photo of mine and upload it for you. I'm about to go out and clean it anyways. n_n Soon as I get done, I'll upload it so you can get a good look at it and how things should be.
Old 09-14-2013, 05:24 PM
Hikari_NOS
1st Gear Member

Ok so I just went outside and took some photos that may help you find what you are looking for. I added them as attachments to the thread. If you can't access them, I also have them posted in my pictures on my profile just in case. Let me know if you have any questions. I'll try to answer as best as I can.
Attached Thumbnails Possible PATS issue need advice.-dsc_1990.jpg   Possible PATS issue need advice.-dsc_1989.jpg   Possible PATS issue need advice.-dsc_1983.png  
Old 09-15-2013, 10:36 PM
samiamthemustangman
1st Gear Member

You can buy a tuner and tell them to turn paps off
Old 09-16-2013, 12:36 PM
flashpoint

Originally Posted by Hikari_NOS
Ok so I just went outside and took some photos that may help you find what you are looking for. I added them as attachments to the thread. If you can't access them, I also have them posted in my pictures on my profile just in case. Let me know if you have any questions. I'll try to answer as best as I can.
Thank you so much for those pics!! and for the information on programming. I was cleaning out the car this weekend, they had it full of trash. Anyways under the seat I found the little electronic module that sits around the ignition i'm assuming it's what detects the key and communicates with the pats system. So it appears they've replaced that module too since one is already plugged in on the steering column. This poor mustang is going to be full of surprises
Old 09-16-2013, 01:43 PM
Hikari_NOS
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by flashpoint
Thank you so much for those pics!! and for the information on programming. I was cleaning out the car this weekend, they had it full of trash. Anyways under the seat I found the little electronic module that sits around the ignition i'm assuming it's what detects the key and communicates with the pats system. So it appears they've replaced that module too since one is already plugged in on the steering column. This poor mustang is going to be full of surprises
You are very welcome. Always happy to help if I can. n_n Just so I'm not confused, you mean the module you found is under the seat or near the ignition on the steering column? And if under the seat, which one? Driver or passenger?
Old 09-17-2013, 08:29 PM
flashpoint

Originally Posted by Hikari_NOS
You are very welcome. Always happy to help if I can. n_n Just so I'm not confused, you mean the module you found is under the seat or near the ignition on the steering column? And if under the seat, which one? Driver or passenger?
the module I was talking about was the one the steering colum with the black ring that slides over the key switch/tumbler, they had tossed the original one( i assume) under the drivers seat. So it appears they've replaced that module because there is one already on the steering column. So if I'm not making sense I tend to ramble haha.

I'm hoping this won't cause me/ or the dealership problems i.e. cost me more money to fix when I take the car in to be programmed if I can't do it.

Ok tried the programing method in the link you provided and still a no go I'm gonna give some local locksmiths a call and see if they can do and what it would cost but I have a feeling I'll be taking her to the dealership.

Last edited by flashpoint; 09-18-2013 at 01:25 PM.

Quick Reply: Possible PATS issue need advice.