V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

Supercharger use on track?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2013, 01:49 PM
LilRoush
6th Gear Member

I don't think there are videos. It was awhile ago.
Old 09-23-2013, 09:19 PM
jthorn9
The Godfather

Roush is right about the Vettes, you don't want one. Corvettes, while nice, are probably one of the worst performance cars to buy in the United States. Here's what I mean by that. Take any two $50,000 cars, for my example I'll use these two:

2013 Corvette
2013 GT-500

Both retail for around $55,000 (depending on location and dealer incentives). Then take a look at their 10 year depreciated value with similar millage. In general the Corvette will depreciate all the way to the low 20s high teens with decent millage, the Cobra.....well that will still demand a high 20 low 30 all day long.

Corvettes are severely marked up and, except for specialty/older models, have next to no resale value versus their initial price.

They're also extremely one demensional. Meaning they're only good at showing off and for racing. You can't haul much in one or do much else. At least with a Mustang, if need be, you can carry 5 people, and or haul a nice little load in the car.

I came very close to buying a Corvette back in 20011 when I sold my 99 Cobra and bought my 08 GT. But in the end I decided on the Mustang and I'm still satisfied with my choice to this day. In fact, I'm glad I didn't get the Vette which I've learned from actual Vette owners, aren't so hot, even at depreciated values.
Old 09-24-2013, 11:45 AM
mo3nzo

Originally Posted by jthorn9
Roush is right about the Vettes, you don't want one. Corvettes, while nice, are probably one of the worst performance cars to buy in the United States. Here's what I mean by that. Take any two $50,000 cars, for my example I'll use these two:

2013 Corvette
2013 GT-500

Both retail for around $55,000 (depending on location and dealer incentives). Then take a look at their 10 year depreciated value with similar millage. In general the Corvette will depreciate all the way to the low 20s high teens with decent millage, the Cobra.....well that will still demand a high 20 low 30 all day long.

Corvettes are severely marked up and, except for specialty/older models, have next to no resale value versus their initial price.

They're also extremely one demensional. Meaning they're only good at showing off and for racing. You can't haul much in one or do much else. At least with a Mustang, if need be, you can carry 5 people, and or haul a nice little load in the car.

I came very close to buying a Corvette back in 20011 when I sold my 99 Cobra and bought my 08 GT. But in the end I decided on the Mustang and I'm still satisfied with my choice to this day. In fact, I'm glad I didn't get the Vette which I've learned from actual Vette owners, aren't so hot, even at depreciated values.

Haha I was just ranting

I love the mustang platform, specifically the SN95, because they are so damn hard to make fast around turns. It sort of forces you to engineer your own solutions, and the sense of accomplishment when you get it right is worth all the work. They're also fun little things, even for a v6, it's so easy to throw it around corners and it has enough torque to cover up your mistakes.

Even with stock suspension the SN95 is surprisingly well balanced. I've had instructors that drive full blown race cars to M3 drivers comment on it.

I like the corvette for the fact that it's a faster platform out of factory than most mustangs when it comes to the racetrack. If I were to tear down a 'vette and turn it into a full-blown race car, I'd have a ton of potential (in terms of maximum speed down straights and through corners). Sort of like an upgrade after I finish the mustang and have a ton of fun with it.

I never buy new because of the whole depreciation stuff anyways.

And I'm sure you'll hate my mustang, since it only has a driver seat

Lol, that aside, mustang rules in its own respect. Experimenting with different cars is fun too. I can sit behind any car and find a way to make the most out of it (except FWD cars - dunno just don't like them).

And roush you need videos!

I'll post some up next year when I have the coilovers and slicks in. Judging from some calculations, I should be performing in the same lap time category as most S2000's and M3's at the track, and maybe a newbie driving a vette.