V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

what options do we have when it comes to new seats?

Old 09-29-2013, 05:58 AM
Dr.Le
2nd Gear Member

Default what options do we have when it comes to new seats?

So my buddy recently bought a new Prius and we swapped and drove each other's car.

well, when i was seating in MY seat as a passenger (while he was driving), i noticed how comfortable the passenger seat is compared to the driver seat (0f course its a 14 year old car and driver side gets used more).

so now i want new seats... what are my options? and what are some costs?

oh yeah, can i swap my passenger and driver seat? (i drive 10hours+ a week in my car so this make a difference)

or, since imma change it out, might as well upgrade to some aftermarket seats?

is it worth it to change the brackets to install 05+ model seats, since i've heard those are the most comfortable seats for mustangs?

thanks in advance.

btw, the prius was slow and the gas pedal is electronic, so there's NO throttle cable (that just feels really off).

but its like 60 mpg vs 20mpg.
Old 09-29-2013, 10:28 AM
jthorn9
The Godfather

You can not swap the passenger and drivers seat because all the components are set for each side.

Do not buy aftermarket seats, nothing but headaches, only higher end Sparcos are decent but way over priced.

01, 03, 04 Cobra seats feel really nice and will be a direct swap.

05-09 Seats are OK feeling, but I prefer the Cobras more, but they are better than the 94-04 basic design.
Old 09-30-2013, 03:19 AM
flashpoint

also check junk yards or a place call pull-a-part if you have one close buy you can get a seat for 30-50 bucks can't remember exactly but it's cheap.
Old 09-30-2013, 03:33 AM
99GTvert
is my username.

The 99 has 07 seats in it. I bought some brackets online (I forget the store) for a couple hundred bucks and got it to work. They are more comfortable and have a better headrest for whiplash protection and I am very satisfied with them. Headroom did decrease slightly though.

Others have swapped in S197 seats without those brackets and they seem to hold up fine.
Old 09-30-2013, 09:41 PM
Dr.Le
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by jthorn9
You can not swap the passenger and drivers seat because all the components are set for each side.

Do not buy aftermarket seats, nothing but headaches, only higher end Sparcos are decent but way over priced.

01, 03, 04 Cobra seats feel really nice and will be a direct swap.

05-09 Seats are OK feeling, but I prefer the Cobras more, but they are better than the 94-04 basic design.
Thanks

great info.... i think for short term measures imma swap driver and passenger. but will definitely go w/ cobras or the 05-09 seats. (I noticed you wrote 01,03,04 and not 01-04 so does that mean 99,00,and 02 do not fit?)

thanks again, that really helps me sort out my plans.
Old 09-30-2013, 09:43 PM
Dr.Le
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by flashpoint
also check junk yards or a place call pull-a-part if you have one close buy you can get a seat for 30-50 bucks can't remember exactly but it's cheap.
great info

i do have a pick-a-part near by that i go often. I will keep an eye out for seats next time.
Old 09-30-2013, 09:46 PM
Dr.Le
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 99GTvert
The 99 has 07 seats in it. I bought some brackets online (I forget the store) for a couple hundred bucks and got it to work. They are more comfortable and have a better headrest for whiplash protection and I am very satisfied with them. Headroom did decrease slightly though.

Others have swapped in S197 seats without those brackets and they seem to hold up fine.

NO brackets? thats even better (saves money for other mods).

glad to see other members are have newer seats too.
Old 10-01-2013, 10:56 PM
jthorn9
The Godfather

You need the adapter brackets to make 05-14 seats fit in a 94-04 Mustang. They do not use the same bolt pattern.

94-98/99 Cobra seats are not "unique" design. They are basically GT seats with leather and a Cobra logo. In 01 Ford made the cobra seats more "racing style" and added in micro suede. In 2003/2004 they took them full racing and more suede, these are my favorite seats.

Cobras were not made in 00/02 in the US. The Cobra R doesn't count, and the 200 Cobras made for 2002 were exported to Australia and not sold in the U.S. In 2000 the recall was made on the 99 Cobra for faulty exhaust designs and faulty intake designs. Ford put most of their money repairing these cars so no 2000s were made. In 2001 they changed the transmission, seats, wing, and added in the changes made to the 99 engine to prevent recalls. In 2002 the Cobra again was not made as project "terminator" was under way. In 2003 the redesigned Cobra was released, changes included better heads, M112 supercharger, different front bumper, rear wing, new seats, and several other minor variances.
Old 10-02-2013, 10:04 PM
Dr.Le
2nd Gear Member

thanks, i will keep the above in mind and plan accordingly.
Old 10-03-2013, 03:34 PM
LilRoush
6th Gear Member

Aftermarket are ok if you are willing to buy the good ones. Stay away from cheap PepBoys or Ebay seats. Stick with Sparco, Corbeau, Cobra (brand).

2001 or 03/04 Cobra, Bullitt or Mach 1 are good upgrades, but come with added weight. Roush and Saleen both made OEM replacement, but come with a price tag.

Also check out TMI Mustang seats.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: what options do we have when it comes to new seats?