V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

Putting 1995 V6 into 1997 Mustang

Old 10-14-2013, 12:32 AM
magician0227

Default Putting 1995 V6 into 1997 Mustang

I am replacing the worn out engine in my sons 1997 V6 Mustang with a low mileage engine from a 1995 parts car. I am starting to discover there are quite a few differences between the engines that I wasn't expecting.

What I have found so far:

Lower intake has fewer bolts. It appears the holes from the 97 lower line up, but there is 1 additional bolt per side on the 95.

T-Stat housing. The 97 has a shorter, aluminum housing, the 95 has a longer, metal housing.

Cam synco is different. 95 has a larger syncro and different plug.

The mid plate between the engine and trans are different. The 95's access hole for the torque converter bolts is at the bottom, the 97's is on the side.

So, my questions are:

Any more surprises? With all these differences, I am worried about other things, like crank sensor, pulleys, an accessories not working.

Can I use the 97 lower intake? Its not that big of a deal, but the old engine had been very nicely detailed, and has all the aluminium parts painted. If I can use it, I would prefer to, if not, I can clean up the 95 lower.

Can I just swap the 97 syncro into the 95 block?

Can I use the 97 mid-plate? The side access is much easier than the bottom for getting to the torque converter bolts.

Can I use the 95 transmission?

And, can I use the 97 torque converter in the 95 trans? I had to cut 2 of the converter bolts off the 95 to get it separated.

Any help here would be greatly appreciated. Hoping to get him back on the road this week if possible.

FYI, I have the entire 95 parts car, so if I need to swap anything else, I should have all the parts needed.
Old 10-14-2013, 12:50 AM
Daehawk
4th Gear Member

im not sure bu I'd guess the wiring harness is different.
Old 10-14-2013, 05:27 AM
warthogdriver
2nd Gear Member

you should be able to swap it all over no problems.
i swapped a 99 block into my 95, i reused all sensors and tranny. only harness work i had to do was the connectors on the injectors. look at swap how to's...should be plug and play swap.
Old 10-14-2013, 10:29 AM
magician0227

Can anyone specifically answer about the lower intake? Thats my next step in the process, and I am not sure which direction I need to go.

Can I use the 97 lower with the 95 heads?

im not sure bu I'd guess the wiring harness is different.
I am pretty much just using the longblock, so wiring shouldn't be a problem, as long as the crank sensor is the same, or swappable, and if the cam syncro can be swapped. Those are the only 2 electrical connections that I will be reusing.

But, you are correct, the harness is quite different between the 2 years.
Old 10-15-2013, 07:49 AM
petrock
4th Gear Member

I don’t know about the syncro, but why not use the syncro that is in the ’95 motor? If it aint broke, don’t replace it. As for the intake, I don’t know either. If the intakes ports line up with the ports on the heads, and the gasket lines up with the ports in the intake & heads and doesn’t cover any passages up, I wouldn’t worry about it. I’d also be worried about the computers being different.
Old 10-15-2013, 11:06 AM
magician0227

Originally Posted by petrock
I don’t know about the syncro, but why not use the syncro that is in the ’95 motor? If it aint broke, don’t replace it. As for the intake, I don’t know either. If the intakes ports line up with the ports on the heads, and the gasket lines up with the ports in the intake & heads and doesn’t cover any passages up, I wouldn’t worry about it. I’d also be worried about the computers being different.
The syncro's are different. The 95 has a different plug than the 97.

Going to pick up a set of 95 intake gaskets and see if the ports line up. Also going to make sure the extra holes are not passing through any water passages.

No need (i wouldn't think) for using the 95 computer. I am only wanting to use the long block. Everything else will be from the 97.

I know I could just use the short block, and be done with it. But that would be another several hundred bucks to swap the heads, that if I can avoid, would be nice.