V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

Bleeding the cooling system

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 02:05 PM
g_unotkiller

Default Bleeding the cooling system

How exactly and what are the steps to bleeding the cooling system on my 2001 3.8, it overheats and heater blows cold air after i changed my thermostat and was told there might be air in the cooling system. Dont know if im bleeding it right, need help.
Old 04-14-2009, 03:20 PM
droptop96

Did you make sure that you put the the thermostat in the right way
Old 04-14-2009, 09:29 PM
Matt's 95 Stang
Resident Ginger

You might have a air bubble in the line now. It happens when you change out the thermo and air gets into the block.

Matthew
Old 04-14-2009, 10:02 PM
Archion
4th Gear Member

you should be bleeding it when you fill it. you pull the pipe plug on the top of the motor, coming out of the heater/bypass pipe by the thermostat housing. With the car level, remove that plug, and fill the radiator until coolant comes out of that hole. You are now full in the motor, replace the plug, top off the rad as needed. You should be good to go.

You can see the pipe and plug I am talking about here, it is the one sticking up behind the upper radiator hose

http://2pony.net/gallery/v/Rides/gre...geViewsIndex=1
Old 12-06-2010, 10:47 AM
Popo54

QUICK QUESTION. I KNOW OLD THREAD BUT GONNA BLEED MY SYSTEM LATER. ONCE I TURN THE CAR ON AND TAKE THE RAD CAP OFF DO I WAIT TILL MY FAN TURNS ON? ALSO DO I NEED TO PUT MY HEATER SETTING ON HOT WITHOUT TURNING IT ON. JUST READ THIS IN OTHER THREADS AND WANNA MAKE SURE I DO IT RIGHT. I KNOW SIMPLE TASK BUT NEW TO THE MUSTANG WORLD AND NEVER BLED A SYSTEM BEFORE. THANKS FOR THE HELP.
Old 12-06-2010, 10:12 PM
Popo54

update...so i bled the cooling system today and rode home with the temp gauge at normal!!! good stuff. kind of crazy thing though, i opened the bleeder valve and started pouring until it came out of the valve. the thing took a gallon of coolant. should it have taken that much or should I just assume the dude that had it before me just biffed the radiator refill job after the so-called tune-up?

anyway thanks for all the replies. good to have a forum to go to. new to the mustang. I can probably answer a lot of questions about a jeep but nothing about mustangs.
Old 12-07-2010, 01:32 AM
Matt's 95 Stang
Resident Ginger

Glad you got it working. Come back with any other questions.

Matthew
Old 12-07-2010, 09:30 AM
Popo54

will do....love the forums and the knowledge everyone has to offer....whoever invented forums like these needs a big pat on the back...and a few beers
Old 08-28-2023, 11:43 PM
04gtmattleibrock

Default 04 gt 4.6

Originally Posted by Archion
you should be bleeding it when you fill it. you pull the pipe plug on the top of the motor, coming out of the heater/bypass pipe by the thermostat housing. With the car level, remove that plug, and fill the radiator until coolant comes out of that hole. You are now full in the motor, replace the plug, top off the rad as needed. You should be good to go.

You can see the pipe and plug I am talking about here, it is the one sticking up behind the upper radiator hose

http://2pony.net/gallery/v/Rides/gre...geViewsIndex=1

BE SURE TO PROPERLY BLEED YOUR COOLING SYSTEM IN ORDER TO ACTUALLY DO THIS CORRECTLY YOU HAVE TO GET ALL THE AIR OUT OF THE SYSTEM MAKE SURE YOUR CAR IS ON A INCLINE IF YOU DONT HAVE JACKSTANDS ALWAYS DO THIS WHEN YOUR CAR IS COLD. Take off your radiator cap on your reservoir. disconnect your upper raider house that goes to your thermostat. fill the hose with coolant until you see it come out of the cover where your thermostat is. Then put your hose back on. Now get a funnel to properly bleed the system they sell them at AutoZone for $50…. Not worth it if you don’t have a bleeder funnel just make shift one that will fit tight and snug in your reservoir fill your radiator reservoir with coolant make sure you leave a little bit of coolant in the bottom of funnel then turn your engine on turn on your heat keep it on low it will alow the coolant to travel through to the heater core and warm your engine up faster. After you do this go back and squeeze the upper and lower radiator hoses it will help get any trapped air out of the system you’ll know if you’re done getting all if not most the air out when you don’t see bubbles coming out the coolant in your reservoir now when you pump that air out you will see the coolant go into the reservoir that’s how you know you’re doing it right once the vehicle is at operating temperature and you’ve done this as much as you can check your coolant level let your car run for about 15-20 minutes after it gets up to temperature if it doesn’t over heat or use any more coolant you’re in the green …. if your car starts to overheat after this you most likely have a small air leak in the system somewhere for it to build up