Search

Go Back   MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters
Sponsored by Optima Batteries

Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

Old 10-13-2013, 08:02 PM   #1
Sammy_koelle

Vehicle: 2004 40th anniversary mustang
Default Oil coming from bellhousing plug.

So I just recently acquired an 04 automatic 40th Annv. Mustang and today when I got under it after driving , the plug was wet with what appeared to be oil. I wiped it down, drove another mile or so & there was only a little (maybe the eq. Of 3 drops) around the plug.
I searched a little and read that it could be:
Oil pan leak
Valve cover gasket leak
Rear main seal
Possibly a leftover mess from a sloppy oil change?

From what I've read, wouldn't the leak be a lot worse if it was from the rear main seal?
Are there any other possible causes for this small leak? And how could I figure out where exactly the leak is coming from myself?

Here's pics:

This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!
Sammy_koelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 08:57 PM   #2
dawson1112
5th Gear Member

Vehicle: 1990 lx hatch 5.0

Most likely its either the rear main seal , or the oil pan gasket under the rear main.

That plug looks rubber to me , I would take it out and get under there with a flash light and see if you can see anything.

You could try to look down the back of the engine to see if the valve covers are leaking back there as well.
Old 10-14-2013, 11:46 PM   #3
Sammy_koelle

Vehicle: 2004 40th anniversary mustang

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawson1112 View Post
Most likely its either the rear main seal , or the oil pan gasket under the rear main.

That plug looks rubber to me , I would take it out and get under there with a flash light and see if you can see anything.

You could try to look down the back of the engine to see if the valve covers are leaking back there as well.
The inside of the plug didn't have any oil inside of it.
In the first picture you can see a drop of oil coming off that plate & that is where the oil is dripping down.
The mechanic said the same thing you did, either it's the oil pan gasket or the rear main seal but he would have to remove the trans to know for sure.
Quotes me $300 for the rear main & said it would be about the same to do the pan gasket. $400 to fix both at the same time.
Sammy_koelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 07:38 AM   #4
petrock
4th Gear Member

Vehicle: '98 3.8L Mustang Convertible

If the oil is red-ish its tranny fluid, if its brown it is motor oil. That plug is to get to the torque converter drain plug inside the bell housing. If you pulled the plug, stuck your finger or paper towels up there and didn’t get an oil then its not your tranny oil pump seal. You can check the back of your valve covers for leaks with a small mirror. The oil would travel down the back of the motor to the spot your looking at. There really isn’t a good/easy way to check the rear main seal or the back of the oil pan gasket without either pulling the motor or pulling the transmission. They are both common leak points.

$300/400 for this job is fairly cheap for a rear main seal and/or oil pan gasket job. I’d do both while your at it.
Old 10-15-2013, 07:38 AM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang

Paid Advertisement