V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

High pitched whine after swapping air filter

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2013, 09:44 AM
JP-FOX

Default High pitched whine after swapping air filter

Hello everyone, this is my first post on here. Ever since fate brought my pony and I together I have found not only that my love for her grows with every day I drive her, but also with every modification, upgrade, or maintenance I perform on her.

That being said, I find myself constantly referring back to this website and I think it's time I start posting myself.

Anyways, on to the problem. So recently I swapped out the air filter for a K&N High-Flow filter. No problems swapping it out, and overall was pretty simple job, as you may all know. Soon after, however, I noticed that now on a cold start, a high-pitched whine emanates from the car. It goes away after revving the engine a bit or as soon as I start driving.

I'm not someone who is deeply experienced with cars so I'm not exactly sure what could be making the noise. I plan to let the car sit for a few hours to let the engine cool, and next time I start it up I'll check under the hood to see if I can locate the sound.

I'm not 100% sure that this sound is the result of the air filter swap, but really, any help would be greatly appreciated.

tl;dr - Swapped the air filter. Mysterious high-pitched whine appears 2 days later. What's making this noise? What can I do to fix it?

Thank you for your time.

-Jesse
Old 11-27-2013, 10:04 AM
Csrt4to5.0gt
2nd Gear Member

Welcome! I'd first check just to make sure you have the air filter box together right. That's where I would start. Doesn't sound like anything major to worry about. Could be just vibrations during idle caused by a loose connection.
Old 11-27-2013, 03:49 PM
Daehawk
4th Gear Member

These filters oiled? Maybe its a dry filter?
Old 11-29-2013, 05:03 AM
JP-FOX

Originally Posted by Csrt4to5.0gt
Welcome! I'd first check just to make sure you have the air filter box together right. That's where I would start. Doesn't sound like anything major to worry about. Could be just vibrations during idle caused by a loose connection.
Thank you for replying and the suggestions. On top of the other problems that occurred, my car also began to stall in traffic when I'm in neutral. I believe there was just a vaccum leak. I swapped out the vaccum hose and took it for a drive and everything seemed to work out fine with the new filter.
I'll keep you posted within the next day or so.