V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

Possible Flywheel Issue

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2013, 05:39 PM
KGthroatpunch

Default Possible Flywheel Issue

After getting my car installed with a new clutch at my local auto shop i notice that my car would vibrate alot when i get to 1400-1500 rpm and higher. the higher the rpm the vibration gets stronger. The car also vibrates when im reving it in neutral. I took my car to AAMCO and the mechanic there assumed that its something wrong with the flywheel. I want to know before i take it back to my local shop if it actually is the flywheel making the car vibrate because my local mechanic said if he takes down the transmission again and there is nothing wrong with HIS work he will charge me again.
Thanks.
Old 11-05-2013, 07:24 PM
MaxOrbit

So did the shop that put the clutch in check or resurface the flywheel? That's part of the job , usually. Let them test drive it with you in teh car so they know exactly what the issue is.

good luck

Originally Posted by KGthroatpunch
After getting my car installed with a new clutch at my local auto shop i notice that my car would vibrate alot when i get to 1400-1500 rpm and higher. the higher the rpm the vibration gets stronger. The car also vibrates when im reving it in neutral. I took my car to AAMCO and the mechanic there assumed that its something wrong with the flywheel. I want to know before i take it back to my local shop if it actually is the flywheel making the car vibrate because my local mechanic said if he takes down the transmission again and there is nothing wrong with HIS work he will charge me again.
Thanks.
Old 11-05-2013, 08:53 PM
KGthroatpunch

the mechanic just told me it wasn't his work that's causing the vibrations and says that by not switching out the clutch earlier i messed up my transmission. I got the car checked at AAMCO and they said the transmission was fine and it's probably the flywheel being resurfaced wrong. Is the whole car vibrating when at 1400 rpms and higher a symptom of a bad flywheel?
Old 11-05-2013, 10:28 PM
KGthroatpunch

is the flywheel being resurfaced the wrong way causing the vibration or shaking of the car? i really need to confirm that its the flywheel causing the car to do this.
Thanks
Old 11-05-2013, 11:55 PM
MaxOrbit

IMO not resurfacing the FW on a clutch job is poor service. It costs a bit more money but saves a lot of grief. Maybe they sent the FW out to be done and it was done poorly. Still it's their responsibilty.
Old 11-08-2013, 05:46 PM
LilRoush
6th Gear Member

Yes, a poor job on the flywheel could be the issue. Could also be they stripped the bolts putting it on and it's a little loose.

Did they resurface it or put in a new one? There are two flywheels that come up for the 3.8L, and the wrong one will also cause shaking as you are describing.
Old 11-08-2013, 06:49 PM
dawson1112
5th Gear Member

Your mechanic is an idiot for telling you that you messed up the trans.

If 1. the flywheel was not resurfaced.
2. any thing was not torqued back to spec.
3. the crankshaft/flywheel mating service was not cleaned of any FM
(foreign material) behind the flywheel will cause it to wobble.
4. The pilot bearing was over looked and not replaced , causing the clutch
plate to spin out of balance/alignment issues.
5. The incorrect flywheel balance was used.
6. The flywheel was indexed incorrectly upon install and bolts were stripped or
not installed .
7. The mechanic was an idiot and took a lot of short cuts.
Old 11-09-2013, 09:56 AM
KGthroatpunch

The mechanic told me he resurfaced the flywheel. I was also thinking of taking my car to another mechanic because i don't trust the first one to work on the car. Will i be able to get my money back from the first mechanic?
Old 11-09-2013, 10:45 AM
dawson1112
5th Gear Member

Unlikely that they would offer to refund any moneys, however if you get a second shop to repair what ever is wrong and there is some substantial proof as to the first mechanics mistakes , you may be able to get a written statement from the second one and either use it as leverage or file a complaint in small claims court.

It would be my opinion that if it wasn't having a vibration before the clutch repair , and it was after , the mechanic didn't do something correctly.
Old 11-09-2013, 11:03 AM
LilRoush
6th Gear Member

Yeah, it would be hard to prove unless something was clearly wrong.

Quick Reply: Possible Flywheel Issue