V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

Mustang Front end Noise **Video**

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2013, 08:48 AM
Mustangsz
1st Gear Member

Default Mustang Front end Noise **Video**

Getting disgusted with this mustang already my 2000 was twice the driving car this 02 was. guess its how they were all taken care of.. this noise appeared after i went over a speed bump any suggetions will be greatly apprechiated.. checked all lug nuts there all tight checked wheel play its seems tight feels like its coming from driver side front.

Old 11-24-2013, 10:42 AM
dawson1112
5th Gear Member

Sounds like a warped roter, do you feel it in the steering wheel when you hit the brake?
Old 11-24-2013, 10:45 AM
dawson1112
5th Gear Member

Other problems that it could be are a bad tire with a broken belt, or bulge.
I would expect it to be present in the steering wheel all the time if it was a tire.

Bad wheel bearing . Likely wouldn't feel it in the steering wheel , but could feel it through the car.
Old 11-24-2013, 02:15 PM
NicStaner

It does sound like a warped rotor, but hitting a bump shouldn't have effected it. I guess I would start basic and check tires first. Rotate tires front to back if possible and see if the noise changes where its coming from. When you have the front tires off then you can roll them and see if there's a bulging spot where a belt may have let go, or if there's goose eggs on the sidewalls on the inside.
Old 11-24-2013, 05:56 PM
petrock
4th Gear Member

Definitely inspect the tires. You may have run over something and it got stuck in the tread. If so, it could cause a puncture/blow out over time. So look into it quickly. Rotating the tires front to back is also a good idea to see if the noise changes. If it does then you know its the tires.

It could also be that some other component gave way and is hitting something in the engine bay. Like a bad pulley bearing, harmonic balancer or serp belt. Good luck...
Old 11-24-2013, 06:19 PM
dawson1112
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by petrock
Definitely inspect the tires. You may have run over something and it got stuck in the tread. If so, it could cause a puncture/blow out over time. So look into it quickly. Rotating the tires front to back is also a good idea to see if the noise changes. If it does then you know its the tires.

It could also be that some other component gave way and is hitting something in the engine bay. Like a bad pulley bearing, harmonic balancer or serp belt. Good luck...

You may be on to something, A stone stuck in the tread +1
Old 11-25-2013, 05:56 PM
Mustangsz
1st Gear Member

found out what the problem was my wheel spacers loosened off , tighten em up n no more noise , i got an other question for you guys.. my power steering pump is really loud and its gone in my opinion but if i have my wheel all the way turned u can see my motor losing rpms etc its like its drawin power from my motor would my pump do this ?
Old 11-25-2013, 06:17 PM
dawson1112
5th Gear Member

If you turn the wheels all the way to the lock it will because the pump is still trying to push the rack . Same thin happens on any hydraulic system when it encounters resistance.
Old 11-25-2013, 08:15 PM
petrock
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mustangsz
found out what the problem was my wheel spacers loosened off , tighten em up n no more noise
Glad to hear you got it fixed and that it was a simple fix at that.

Originally Posted by dawson1112
If you turn the wheels all the way to the lock it will because the pump is still trying to push the rack.
In others words… thats normal. :-)
Old 11-27-2013, 04:23 AM
Mustangsz
1st Gear Member

My pump is really noisy though and its whining like a bugger , would a video help any? i just dont like when i put the car in neutrual or turn my wheel or press my window to go up or down my rpms fluxerate also. it never stalled on me yet but it goes down towards like 400-500 rpms brand new battery in the car..

Quick Reply: Mustang Front end Noise **Video**