V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters
Old 11-20-2015, 12:10 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Steering & Suspension Guides
Print Wikipost

LOWER CONTROL ARM BUSHINGS (REAR AXLE BUSHINGS)

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2013, 05:56 AM
petrock
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by REMINGTON RAY
edit: by the way thanks for the video.
No problem.

Originally Posted by REMINGTON RAY
but I won't be doing anything high performance to this car, just keeping it going as a daily driver. it cost $16 for a control arm at the local pull a part with good bushings in it. I'll save the hassel and mess and just use good parts off another car.
My wifey’s mustang is also a daily driver. By no means a performance car. I wouldn’t call polyurethane bushings something for performance though. To me they are a maintenance item given the stock bushings age. I did it mainly to keep the wheels tracking straight so they don’t wear unevenly/prematurely. Good tires are expensive. So it makes financial sense to replace your stock bushings if they are worn out.
Yeah, you might be able to get by with pick-n-pull bushings off wrecked cars for a while but those bushings will be just as old as yours are. They may look good when not under load, but once you bolt them on and put the weight of the car on them you start to see all the cracks/distortion etc. Its the nature of rubber to degrade over time. No way to avoid it. Just sayin’…

btw, not for nothin’, but the Energy Suspension bushings I listed above are $78 from summitracing.com. To replace all 8 rear control arm bushings, that works out to be about $9.75/bushing. You can probably find them cheaper elsewhere. Just sayin’...

Last edited by petrock; 12-04-2013 at 06:00 AM.
Old 12-04-2013, 06:52 AM
REMINGTON RAY

Originally Posted by petrock
No problem.

My wifey’s mustang is also a daily driver. By no means a performance car. I wouldn’t call polyurethane bushings something for performance though. To me they are a maintenance item given the stock bushings age. I did it mainly to keep the wheels tracking straight so they don’t wear unevenly/prematurely. Good tires are expensive. So it makes financial sense to replace your stock bushings if they are worn out.
Yeah, you might be able to get by with pick-n-pull bushings off wrecked cars for a while but those bushings will be just as old as yours are. They may look good when not under load, but once you bolt them on and put the weight of the car on them you start to see all the cracks/distortion etc. Its the nature of rubber to degrade over time. No way to avoid it. Just sayin’…

btw, not for nothin’, but the Energy Suspension bushings I listed above are $78 from summitracing.com. To replace all 8 rear control arm bushings, that works out to be about $9.75/bushing. You can probably find them cheaper elsewhere. Just sayin’...
petrock, sounds like a great idea. I will go that route once I see cracking in these bushings. So far under load they have no cracks. I have a lift in my garage, and have been wrenching for 15 years. I'm 27. I restored my first muscle car by age 17. 70' chevelle. I tell you this so we can sort of get to know each other because I think I will be on this forum a lot. Just wanted to give you a little back ground on me. Also, I know I will be learning a lot too. So don't ever think that I think I know it all, because I'll admit I don't. Thanks for all the replies in both threads, good information buddy.