V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

Weird Issue ('98 Auto)

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2013, 04:19 PM
ScottXL
2nd Gear Member

Default Weird Issue ('98 Auto)

I just want to preface this with me saying I've tried to figure it out and I just cannot.

The issue started after my Mustang was sitting for 6 or so months. I put 2 new tires on it, and a new battery and went on my way. It was sluggish from day one. A week or so later, when I would stop, the RPM would fluctuate from 400-600 (In Drive), and then I'd have to give it quite a bit of throttle for it to finally pick up. Once it's past about 1300 RPM, it drives fine. Sluggish, but fine. This only happens intermittently. Once every four or so times I drive it. But when it does it, it won't stop until I turn it off, let it cool down, and start it again.

This only happens when it's in gear. (Drive, Reverse). When it's in neutral it sounds fine. Revs up just fine, idles great. But when I put it in drive or reverse, that's when the RPM falls.

I changed my plugs and wires, that didn't fix it. I went to get my codes read and it said my CPS (Crank Position Sensor) was bad. Changed that. Still happened. Went to read my codes again and it was my CAM Position sensor now. I went online and read some folks say it could be a power issue to the ECU. I wiggled my wires to my battery and my negative was a little loose. So I took them off, cleaned them and tightened them back on.

And it's still doing it.

I just find it hard to believe both my CPS and Cam position sensor would go out within weeks of each other. Is there thing I should try? Or should I replace the Cam sensor and go from there?

This is really frustrating.

ALSO: I checked today and I noticed that when hot, my transmission fluid was mid way through the 'cold' level. I plan on buying more fluid when I get paid.

Last edited by ScottXL; 12-04-2013 at 04:23 PM.
Old 12-06-2013, 05:01 AM
petrock
4th Gear Member

The fluctuating idle issue sounds like a dirty/sticking/bad Idle Air Control valve. Try cleaning it and see if the problem persists. There area bunch of YouTube videos on how to clean it. Its fairly simple.

Since the car was sitting for so long, something could have made a nest in the air box, so have a look inside and clean out anything you find. If the filter is dirty, now would be a good time to replace it. Not to mention cleaning the MAF sensor. A dirty MAF sensor can cause all kinds of weird problems.

The power issue is still suspect in the Cam & Crank sensor failures. Your alternator may be weak and not putting out enough amps. Take it to your local auto parts store and have it and the battery tested.

As for the driving issues, that can be explained by low or burned up transmission fluid. When was the last time it was replaced? It, and the filter inside the transmission, should be replaced every 60k miles or so. The tranny fluid should look blood red. If it looks dark brown or black then it is burned up and needs to be replaced ASAP.