V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

Question.

Old 01-19-2014, 07:40 PM
Double0SixShooter
1st Gear Member

Red face Question.

Hi again guys! I have a quick question for my 2000 V6. I recently did a motor and tranny swap from a 98 v6 into my 2000 v6. I basically took the block from the 98 and dressed it up with all the 2000's split port goodies. To my knowledge the blocks are identical as far as I could tell; and the transmission was changed from auto to manual, with all the respective parts, now to my issue/question I did not swap the engine harness (I did however swap the tranny harness and tailshaft etc.) I broke the engine back down to check the injectors after getting an injector code. I learned from this that, when primed(car off, key in the on position), a few of my injectors don't spray. However, if I plug the plug from the cylinder behind it into the same injector, it will spray. This tells me the signal isn't being transferred. I need to know if this is normal, due to the position of the crankshaft; if this is abnormal, and is a sign of the harness needing to be changed; or if this is a sign of the pcm beginning to fail. I can't seem to get answers to this question anywhere else, so I came here where I know I could get a helpful answer. Thanks in advance!
Old 01-21-2014, 05:39 PM
Double0SixShooter
1st Gear Member

Anyone?
Old 01-21-2014, 10:17 PM
samiamthemustangman
1st Gear Member

http://easyautodiagnostics.com/tool_...oidlight_1.php
You can rent these for a deposit at Advanced. Probably a stupid question. Did you get a tune?
Old 01-23-2014, 11:07 PM
Double0SixShooter
1st Gear Member

Ah I didn't know about those, and yeah. I had a tune written from Diablo sport to support the transmission change. Initially it would stay running on its own with a misfire and backfire at times. But yeah it just got worse and worse over time. Now or won't start without Me opening the throttle. And it won't stay running if I come off the gas, eventually I got a code saying that injector 6 was sick open or the circuit was stuck open. So I then went to check my injectors with the manifold off, and found that only 2 injectors spray when the fuel system is primed. Then I took and plugged the plug into an injector that previously wasn't spraying and it sprayed. Now I'm not entirely sure but I think they all are supposed to prime when the key is turned. Im not gonna say I know for sure though. Sorry for typing another novel lol.
Old 01-23-2014, 11:40 PM
samiamthemustangman
1st Gear Member

Unfortunately Ford is the only one that can tell you if your pcm is bad. I wish it popped up on our tuners. It sounds like a pcm issue.
Old 01-24-2014, 08:01 AM
Double0SixShooter
1st Gear Member

Yeah, I definitely wouldn't doubt that. I was always just nervous about being charged $150 for nothing if that wasn't the problem lol. That was my thinking, that it was the pcm or the harness, because lately it's been throwing stupid codes saying things like my fan clutch and about 5 other things stopped working all at once. But I still wouldn't doubt the harness being that the car was an auto with a smug pump before and now it's manual with standard emissions, and I didn't swap the harness. BUT, I guess there's a trip to Ford in order! Ilk post back what I find. Thanks for your help!
Old 01-26-2014, 11:38 AM
samiamthemustangman
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Double0SixShooter
Yeah, I definitely wouldn't doubt that. I was always just nervous about being charged $150 for nothing if that wasn't the problem lol. That was my thinking, that it was the pcm or the harness, because lately it's been throwing stupid codes saying things like my fan clutch and about 5 other things stopped working all at once. But I still wouldn't doubt the harness being that the car was an auto with a smug pump before and now it's manual with standard emissions, and I didn't swap the harness. BUT, I guess there's a trip to Ford in order! Ilk post back what I find. Thanks for your help!
From what I have herd, the old harness works just find. I went to the dealership when my pats went out and they did not charge me a dime because they weren't sure how to fix it. Turned it off with a tune. Hopefully you will have better luck. The computer should fix the car, if not they will narrow it down instead of guessing.
Old 01-29-2014, 03:12 PM
Double0SixShooter
1st Gear Member

Yeah, that's great info. Just an update, I have a new PCM and injector harness on the way, they should be here in 2 days. So hopefully I can take care of everything over the weekend. If this fixes the problem I will come back and update the thread again. Hopefully this can help someone else in a similar predicament in the future.