V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

How to make my V6 a Monster

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2014, 06:44 PM
Crooks

Default How to make my V6 a Monster

I'm trying to make a monster car that will make my friend (who owns a 2006 GT) cry himself to sleep at night.

I just purchased a V6 3.8 engine with 40,000 miles for $120. I plan on a rebuild once my brother gets his miata engine out of my garage.

I've heard that by using bolt-ons (exhaust, CAI) and a performance camshaft could get me to like 260+ hp?

Has anyone ever built the engine up?
Anyone got any suggestions?
Old 02-13-2014, 09:31 PM
jthorn9
The Godfather

Originally Posted by Crooks
I'm trying to make a monster car that will make my friend (who owns a 2006 GT) cry himself to sleep at night.

I just purchased a V6 3.8 engine with 40,000 miles for $120. I plan on a rebuild once my brother gets his miata engine out of my garage.

I've heard that by using bolt-ons (exhaust, CAI) and a performance camshaft could get me to like 260+ hp?

Has anyone ever built the engine up?
Anyone got any suggestions?
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.......OMG I'm so sorry, I needed a good laugh today, but whomever told you that is the stupidest person on the face of the Earth cause that is so far from the truth it's not even funny. Basic "bolt on" mods will yield....are you ready, maybe 10-15 rwhp and about as much torque, which puts you light years behind a 2006 GT. In short, the only way to compete with him would be a super charger and some minor additional work. Assuming he is a good driver. The 2006 GT simply put has much more technology in it than the old 3.8L and even in stock form they are pretty decent, let along when basic things are done to them as they really start to wake up.

Best advice, sell your car, sell that motor, and get a newer car and better platform to work with.
Old 02-13-2014, 11:39 PM
Mobiusone stang
2nd Gear Member

Another option, use your car as a daily driver! these v6s are great for that kinda thing! Honestly I have only ever heard of people really suping up these 3.8s. Not much power to be had my friend. It can be done, but for about the same price as buying a used GT. One thing I've learned from these forums, appreciate and love what you have, but always be saving for more power.
Old 02-14-2014, 06:03 AM
ClaytonLeton

Well that is a brave step..i guess you should post a detailed guide with pictures as well up here.
Old 02-14-2014, 09:33 AM
NYstang
MF Staff Snitch

260 CRANK horsepower is not complete out of the question. With most bolt ons and a baby cam, Rico was putting down 220rwhp, which equates to nearly 250 at the crank. With a bit of headwork and a bigger cam, I dont see why 230-240 wouldnt be possible. Do some searches at V6power.net for better results.

That said, it would be more cost effective to find a used vortech or procharger kit, which Ive seen recently for 1500-2k.

It would be nice if the moderator of our section would be a bit more positive about our engines.
Old 02-14-2014, 03:17 PM
LilRoush
6th Gear Member

Take 3.8L, make it a 4.2L, big cam, good heads and intake and boost the crap out of it.

Easy GT killer.
Old 02-14-2014, 08:22 PM
jthorn9
The Godfather

I am nice, the thing is I'm also realistic and I'm not going to blow smoke up somebodies butt to make them happy. Odds are the OP can barely afford basic bolt ons, let alone all the research, time, effort, and cost of doing a major build properly. Reason I say that is cause if they did, they wouldn't own a Sn95 V6 or wouldn't ask that kind of question.

Now with that said, can a 3.8L beat a S197 GT, sure, but it's gonna take a lot of the above and most people don't have it to p*ss away. You all know how I feel about dumping money into a car only to completely loose the entire investment made.

I would give the same response to somebody who thinks doing those same mods to a S197 GT will allow them to run with a Shelby, it's just not gonna happen, and again a lot of time, effort, research, and money is gonna be needed to make it happen.

Last edited by jthorn9; 02-14-2014 at 08:26 PM.
Old 02-14-2014, 08:39 PM
PNYXPRESS
5th Gear Member

Actually it wouldn't take much to make a new edge v6 run with a s197 gt

Stock vs stock is a 100hp difference AND 400lb difference

So in all actuality you just have to make up the power to weight difference to be competitive.

And why assume that someone that buys a 3.8 doesn't have the money to build it up? Some like the challenge of building a fast v6 over the fact that anybody with no car knowledge can order a bunch of catalog parts to make a faster v8
Old 02-14-2014, 11:03 PM
samiamthemustangman
1st Gear Member

http://www.musclemustangfastfords.co...stroker_build/
windstar,207/215 .50/.50 @ 110lsa cam, 8.8 3.73s and pi heads n you will be a 99-04 GT eater

Last edited by samiamthemustangman; 02-14-2014 at 11:12 PM.
Old 02-14-2014, 11:06 PM
Mobiusone stang
2nd Gear Member

I think some very valid points are being made here. What it probably comes down to here for the OP is a matter of opportunity costs. If he has the money and the want to, then there are ways to make the 3.8 viable. But in the alternative he could save for a s197. I think really the cost here for him (money no issue) would be what would bring him the most enjoyment. Would it be the v6 or the next best alternative which would be getting a more powerful car. Sorry I might be going to deep into this. So ya, um, if you have the money the there are ways haha.

Quick Reply: How to make my V6 a Monster