V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

Brake rotor and pads recommendation. Tried searching...

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2014, 12:25 AM
joeyjoey

Default Brake rotor and pads recommendation. Tried searching...

Hate to start a new thread in a new forum right at the start, but I've already searched as many key words as I can think of to see if the information I'm looking for has already been posted, but after tons of reading I've turned up almost nothing of real use to me.

I am going to install new rotors and pads on my wife's '98 3.8. This will be my first time installing brakes on a vehicle, but it does not intimidate me as I try to do nearly all servicing and repairs on our cars as needed, but this is the first time I'm doing brakes.

I've researched the procedure, but what I am not sure about is the actual BRAND and TYPE of rotors and pads to buy. I do not know name-brand from worthless junk and am looking for specific recommendations.

It is just a commuter car, low mileage. The oem rotors and brakes have been fine for the most part (until developing a bit of run-out now). However, it seems that OEM parts have a bit of a premium attached, and if I could get better, even more durable, reliable, less-dusty, brakes for the same price that's definitely the route I'd prefer to go. Smooth rotors should be perfectly ok, no slots or drilling needed, not that I'd be opposed to slots if they were just all-around better brakes in every regard and somehow didn't tear up the pads.

So, if anyone can provide some specific recommendations, including brands, sellers, and even better specific parts it would be hugely appreciated. I can't believe how hard it has been to try to discern quality from non-quality parts online. Maybe the answer is that I just go with oem parts, but to be honest, when I see kits for sale with ceramic pads plus drilled and slotted rotors of claimed premium materials, all for less that what the simple oem parts cost - well, it's hard to figure out what the true story is and whether the price difference is simply oem markup or real quality issues. I assume there's quite a bit of experience on this board and hoped someone could point me to what I need.

Add-on question: How do I know if I need new calipers? Are there a few simple checks I should make? I wasn't planning on changing them but I've noticed a number of posts where calipers are being included as part of the brake job.

Thanks everyone.
Old 03-17-2014, 06:12 AM
theLozano

For a commuter daily driver for your wife I would definitely just run down to o'reilly's or AutoZone or whatever your preferred auto parts store is and just get their house brand. I recently spent 135 bucks on both rotors pads and one brake caliper. The thing about slotted rotors is that it is not recommended to turn them. So when it comes to another brake job you may end up needing to completely replace the rotors vs just getting them machined.

As far as your calipers, if you've noticed anything unusual while braking like the car pulling to the side then MAYBE you have a caliper sticking. Easiest way to know is when your pulling the piston back to make room for your new pads. If you can't push it all the way back then its stuck and then that caliper needs to be replaced.
Old 03-18-2014, 01:31 AM
joeyjoey

I appreciate the perspective. It's true I don't need to go too crazy on a car this old, but I do want to make sure it's no less safe than oem really. And I definitely do not need slotted rotors either, after further reading today, just plain, smooth rotors for me.

So, to narrow it down a bit after a little research into store-brand parts, can anyone comment on the quality of the NAPA rotors and pads compared to OEM? Specifically:

1) NAPA: Brake Kit - Front - TS-X OE Ceramic for $99.97; Part Numbers: NBK 7478XTSK2; TSTS-7478-X(pads), NB4886443(rotors)

2) Genuine Ford Motor Parts rotors and pads for $187 from my local dealership. Parts numbers 2001 and 1125 (or BRR-54 and BR-36B Motorcraft)

3) NAPA Ultra Premium rotors ($65 ea) and NAPA Adaptive One Pads ($72) for $202 total. Part Number: UP 86443 Part Number: ADO AD7478

My biggest concern (after safety and oem-like deceleration) is noise, followed by durability. Squealing would be a deal-breaker, as my wife had some intolerably noisy pads put on once at a place like Meineke; and I'd prefer to replace these items on a schedule similar to oem or better, not 2-3 times more often.

For me, OEM quality is good enough, but I don't want to waste money on OEM parts/markup if NAPA set #1 above is of better all-around quality than OEM at nearly half the cost anyway. If it is inferior in the areas mentioned then I'd just purchase OEM parts - not worth spending half as much to do the job twice as often. Similary, if NAPA set #3 above is superior to OEM in nearly all regards I'll just spring the extra $15 for a better and longer-lasting braking system.

...It was just way too confusing trying to compare other aftermarket brands, too many name to remember (Wagner, Centric, Pro Stop, Stop Tech, EBC, Akebono, Bendix, Power Stop, Raybestos, Duralast, all the store-brands, etc etc etc etc, plus every brand having different marketing terms and tiers, and then for every person that claims "almost no dust", "zero noise", "100k miles" the next claims "excessive dust", "horrible squealing", and "warping after 1 month" for the exact same braking system - WAY TOO CONFUSING. I wish there was something like a companion site to bobistheoilguy for brakes...
Old 03-18-2014, 02:37 AM
joeyjoey

Well, not to add too many options, because I'm most curious about the Napa parts listed above, but if I were to order online, how does something like this compare to OEM and Napa parts?

4) PADS: WAGNER Part # QC600 (#PD600) ThermoQuiet. Front; Optional Ceramic C ; ROTORS: RAYBESTOS Part # 66443R {#1066443} 5 Bolt Holes Professional Grade. Front. 2 Rotors and pads for about $90 total.

Thanks again.
Old 03-18-2014, 02:52 AM
mustangman02232
6th Gear Member

If your using aftermarket stuff napa sucks, I would Atleast use carquest or preferably motorcraft
Old 03-18-2014, 08:45 AM
theLozano

On a Toyota Celica I used to have I used Wagner's cus the shop I worked at used them and supposedly they were supposed to be quiet and they cost more so made sense that they'd be better quality. They were really noisy. This time around I used advanced auto parts house brand for everything including discs pads and one caliper. Its been a few months and no noise yet. As long as its own replacement stopping distance or power or whatever should be the same.
Old 03-18-2014, 08:46 AM
theLozano

I meant oem replacement. Lok