V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

engine vibrations

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2014, 06:32 PM
npereza5

Default engine vibrations

I have been working on an arcing problem that is no longer a problem since I replaced the coil. The vibrations are still present under heavier loads and are present when in neutral.

I reved the engine to around 1700-1800 rpms in neutral and am able to start the vibrations. However, I kept the idle very steady at 1800 or so rpms and can notice that the vibrations comes on and off. The vibration comes on for about 16 seconds and dulls out to no vibrations for 8 seconds and than again vibrations come on. The car will do just that for as long as the idles held around that range.

Can this be from a crank position sensor or something else similar?
Old 03-20-2014, 07:54 PM
npereza5

as a side note, I have a 3.8l and I have taken it to the dealer. They said it was tires and sold me a set of four tires only to find out it wasnt the problem. They then said it was the transmission and needed to pay $2k for a used. I than drove down and showed them the car did it in neutral and park. The said they didnt know and gave me 50% off the tires and rotation.
Old 03-20-2014, 08:45 PM
edwin108
2nd Gear Member

Maybe you have a clogged fuel filter?
Old 03-20-2014, 09:51 PM
npereza5

well its worth a shot at this point.
Old 03-21-2014, 09:16 AM
corker
1st Gear Member

I am chasing a very similar engine vibration on a 2000 3.8 V6, 5-speed manual with 150,000 miles. Vibration recently started. I changed a few things because they were due (plugs, wires, coil pack, pcv, fuel pump & fuel filter) without any change. Also checked engine mounts, trans mount, engine vacuum, crank pulley and all accessory drives. Put a stethoscope to all injectors and hear strong solenoid clicks from all. No luck yet. There are no active codes and no codes in history. The next step is to perform a compression test to verify all is well mechanically (valve probs would have reflected in vac reading). Grasping for straws with this problem.

The engine vibrates at idle and off idle, but straightens out at higher RPM's. Recently replaces broken exhaust manifold rt.side, followed up by cracked downpipe at ex manifold flange, rt. side - it's shaking itself apart! No vibration felt at hiway speeds. I'll get to the source eventually and I'll post the solution when I find it.

Corky
Old 03-21-2014, 10:08 AM
npereza5

Fuel filter and air filter jsut changed and no difference in vibrations. Hey Corky, yeah my vibrations dont go away at higher speeds. They are more rythmic and at a stead rpm of around 1800 the vibration with literally come and go. Did you check you u joints for play?
Old 03-21-2014, 10:11 AM
npereza5

Fuel filter and air filter just changed and no difference in vibrations. Hey Corky, yeah my vibrations dont go away at higher speeds. They are more rythmic and at a steady rpm of around 1800 the vibrationllwi literally come and go. Did you check you u joints for play?
Old 03-21-2014, 10:46 AM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Worn Motor/tranny mounts...they will exhibit issues like a misfire or rough idle.

I chased a similar issue on our 06 Escape. Trouble shooted the Injectors, coils, and replaced the plugs...finally took it to the dealer. They gave me the idea. Replaced a hydraulic mount and the tranny mount. Problem solved.
Old 03-21-2014, 10:47 AM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by npereza5
Fuel filter and air filter jsut changed and no difference in vibrations. Hey Corky, yeah my vibrations dont go away at higher speeds. They are more rythmic and at a stead rpm of around 1800 the vibration with literally come and go. Did you check you u joints for play?
U-joints would not cause the issue at Idle and would be felt as vibration in your butt when driving.
Old 03-21-2014, 11:57 AM
npereza5

My thing is that the motor mounts are solid and there is no vibrations at idle. The only vibrations occurs at 1800 or so rpms and with foot holding the throttle steady. The vibrations will come and go and come and go until you let off the accelerator. Its almost like a pulse, steady and smooth and than a vibration steady and smooth and than a vibration and it will continue this way for as long as you hold the pedal at those rpms.

Quick Reply: engine vibrations