V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

engine vibrations

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2014, 11:20 AM
corker
1st Gear Member

I replaced all mounts last year. Due to their age, the rubber gets all dry rotted and brittle. When one fails its best to replace them all. That is an interesting point on checking TDC on the pulley. I think I'll play with that this evening with an inductive timing light off of #1 plug. I have checked everything on this motor up and down - Vac steady at 22in. Compression all cylinders within 3psi. Fuel pump and filter replaced in January, coil pack, all plugs and wires changed (because they were due). So, I ordered the HB from the dealer this morning $315 (ouch). I'll install tomorrow, get the exhaust welded (again) and provide an update on the results.
Thanks,
Corky
Old 04-15-2014, 06:12 PM
corker
1st Gear Member

Default Vibration Update = FIXED!!

OK, Since this is my sons car, I took it for a ride today to pick up the new Harmonic Balancer (HB). I was shocked at how bad the vibration in this car was. It rattled your teeth from 800 RPM's all the way through 1500 RPM's and could be felt in fifth gear cruising around 50 mph. The dash rattled, the doors rattled, the seats rattled, even a Mountain Dew can in the console cup holder rattled! Now, I only get to look at the car when he drops it off and says, "hey dad the car has a vibration at idle". I pull it in the garage and sure enough it has a vibration at idle - but, it was a lot worse than he let on to me. Well, I fought the old HB off and spent way too much time getting the new one on (it just wouldn't slide over the key on the crank without a lot of persuasion). I finally got it on, started the engine and the engine PURRED LIKE A @#$%^& KITTEN!!! Obviously, the HB had slipped a few degrees and threw everything out of balance - I couldn't believe the difference; it was running like it used to. The vibration is gone after changing the Harmonic Balancer - the $315.00 was well worth it!
Thanks to all who responded with their help and suggestions- a special thanks to OPTICOR - you're the man!, I can put this one to bed!
Thanks ALL,
Corky
Old 04-16-2014, 10:14 AM
opticor

Originally Posted by corker
OK, Since this is my sons car, I took it for a ride today to pick up the new Harmonic Balancer (HB). I was shocked at how bad the vibration in this car was. It rattled your teeth from 800 RPM's all the way through 1500 RPM's and could be felt in fifth gear cruising around 50 mph. The dash rattled, the doors rattled, the seats rattled, even a Mountain Dew can in the console cup holder rattled! Now, I only get to look at the car when he drops it off and says, "hey dad the car has a vibration at idle". I pull it in the garage and sure enough it has a vibration at idle - but, it was a lot worse than he let on to me. Well, I fought the old HB off and spent way too much time getting the new one on (it just wouldn't slide over the key on the crank without a lot of persuasion). I finally got it on, started the engine and the engine PURRED LIKE A @#$%^& KITTEN!!! Obviously, the HB had slipped a few degrees and threw everything out of balance - I couldn't believe the difference; it was running like it used to. The vibration is gone after changing the Harmonic Balancer - the $315.00 was well worth it!
Thanks to all who responded with their help and suggestions- a special thanks to OPTICOR - you're the man!, I can put this one to bed!
Thanks ALL,
Corky
Thanks Corky, I'm glad the HB did the trick.
Old 04-21-2014, 02:40 PM
opticor

Originally Posted by npereza5
I have been working on an arcing problem that is no longer a problem since I replaced the coil. The vibrations are still present under heavier loads and are present when in neutral.

I reved the engine to around 1700-1800 rpms in neutral and am able to start the vibrations. However, I kept the idle very steady at 1800 or so rpms and can notice that the vibrations comes on and off. The vibration comes on for about 16 seconds and dulls out to no vibrations for 8 seconds and than again vibrations come on. The car will do just that for as long as the idles held around that range.

Can this be from a crank position sensor or something else similar?

Hey any update or progress on your problem ?