V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

gauge problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2014, 11:50 AM
diptenkrom

Default gauge problem

i have done some searching on this and other forums, but haven't found exactly my issue or a definite fix. i just got a 98 mustang 5 speed for my wife. there are some things i will have to get right before she is going to start driving it. i have a handle on some of them, but the gas gauge is not one of those.

it will sometimes work, and sometimes not. i put gas in and it went to about half tank, which should be correct as i only put in $20 from about empty. the gauge was steady for a few miles and then just dropped out to empty. when i start the car sometimes it will read, and other times it will not. seems to be right when it shows up, but usually doesn't show up... i would assume that the sending unit could be a problem, and i read something about high sulphur gas, but seemed to be from newer models. also read something about bad solders in cluster. all my other gauges work, but the odometer/trip meter. was wondering what i should check first, and where the sending unit/float is located.
Old 03-27-2014, 01:04 PM
BabyGT
5th Gear Member

Sending unit/float is in the tank. Odometer/trip meter is run by a gear thats spun by the speedo, it commonly breaks apart. Latemodelrestoration sells a replacement, can't remember if americanmuscle does as well.
Old 03-27-2014, 01:18 PM
diptenkrom

I know sending unit is in tank. More direct, I guess I should ask how to access it. I don't really care about the odo, just don't want the wife running out of gas.
Old 03-27-2014, 01:23 PM
Miss Ellie

Unless there is a trick I don't know about. it requires dropping the tank. (fun)
Old 03-27-2014, 02:22 PM
diptenkrom

Originally Posted by Miss Ellie
Unless there is a trick I don't know about. it requires dropping the tank. (fun)
Well that sounds significantly harder than I wanted it to. Guess I will start with the cluster. Never understood why they wouldn't put removable panels in the trunk or anything like that.
Old 03-27-2014, 02:57 PM
BabyGT
5th Gear Member

Could always cut one........
Old 03-27-2014, 06:54 PM
Daehawk
4th Gear Member

maybe Im wrong but not having a working odometer is a big illegal no no.
Old 03-27-2014, 07:00 PM
BabyGT
5th Gear Member

Not illegal at all, there's a box on the title when you sell it to check that says
Odometer does not match actual mileage, buyer has been informed. Seller and buyer have to initial or something like that.

It's illegal to sell it without making it known to the buyer that's all.
Old 03-27-2014, 08:28 PM
diptenkrom

In SC they exempt it past 200k anyway. But yeah but here is a check box for "not actual mileage"
Old 03-27-2014, 08:30 PM
diptenkrom

BTW I pulled the cluster and cleaned, checked everything. Didn't make a difference.

Is the connector for the sending unit accessible without dropping the tank?

Quick Reply: gauge problem