V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

What is going on with my car?

Old 03-28-2014, 03:03 PM
Mobiusone stang
2nd Gear Member

Default What is going on with my car?

Hey guys. I hate to just say, here is a noise that is going on, what is it... But im not quite sure what is going on. There is quite an annoying rattle going on. I have located it to be right behind the rear seats (or at the very back of the truck if you prefer) and it is not inside the car. It sounds as if the rattle itself is coming from just underneath the trunk sheet metal. The rattle itself is very prevalent at low rpms and when reversing. Once i get above 2500 rpm it dies off. Im not quite sure what is going on if y'all need any more info to diagnose this please ask away. It might be a loose bolt but I havnt ever done anything back there.

Also, this has been going on for quite a while with the engine. I'll set the scene lol. I come home from running errands and i shut the car off. But, five minutes later i realize i forgot something. So I jump back into the car and turn it on. Well about 2 out of 5 times it bogs down heavily, all the way to about 300-400. When doing this it sounds like a motorcycle at idle kinda just thump thump thump. It does this for about 10 seconds before it realizes it isnt running right and corrects itself by adding throttle and gas on its own. Also, it might be because the engine is hot, but my engine has never overheated. It is always at normal opperating temps.

Any help on either of these matters would be greatly appreciated. There both wearing me down.
Old 03-28-2014, 03:35 PM
Epoweredrc
1st Gear Member

what yr car? and not sure about the rattle, can you hear it with the back seats up? or only when down? I find when i have the rear seats down i hear like air noises, i am sure cause the trunk and all.
the 2nd thing maybe the TBS needs to be cleaned or replaced? don't know why only does it while the car is still warm.
Old 03-28-2014, 05:44 PM
Mobiusone stang
2nd Gear Member

It is a 2000. The rattling noise is heard when the back seats are both up and down. I investigated and if you look behind the seats when they are down, right behind the bottom half is a sort of bulkhead that trasitions into the trunk floor. It is coming from right under there on the passenger side
Old 03-29-2014, 01:18 PM
Mobiusone stang
2nd Gear Member

UPDATE: I found the source of the rattling. It turns out one of the hangers that holds my passenger side muffle on, its nut had come off cause thing whole thing to rattle. Its kinda hard to fix when you dont have a jack lol
Old 03-30-2014, 07:22 AM
BabyGT
5th Gear Member

No jack in your trunk to change a flat and put the spare on?? Slide something under the car thicker than yourself incase it fails.
Old 03-30-2014, 08:58 AM
Epoweredrc
1st Gear Member

guess he means a real jack LOL, jacks that come with most cars are a joke. Anyways glad you found the issue on that at least.
Old 03-30-2014, 10:35 AM
BabyGT
5th Gear Member

It's still a jack. You work with what you got or pay someone to do it. I don't like anyone else working on my car on top of I wouldn't know what I do from not trying.
Old 03-30-2014, 04:05 PM
Mobiusone stang
2nd Gear Member

Yea sadly I dont have a real jack just the tiny dinky one. Even thought the bolt was behind the axle (closer to the engine i mean) i was able to crawl and tighten it without a jack. I guess theres one advantage for not having enough money to buy lowering springs :P

I just wish I knew about the bogging down issue
Old 03-30-2014, 06:39 PM
richards95stang

adjust the idle screw
Old 03-30-2014, 07:14 PM
Mobiusone stang
2nd Gear Member

Hmmm good suggestion! I always thought it would have been on the bottom end ill try and take a look!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What is going on with my car?