V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

Starting issues

Old 03-30-2014, 06:10 PM
richards95stang

Question Starting issues

1995 mustang won't start v6 3.8l automatic just had starter swapped it worked fine then wouldn't start again after i parked it it is cranking but not fully starting starter fluid has it going for sec then dies i didn't have fuel in lines or pressure on a cold days few days agao then yesterday was warm fuel was in the fuel rail and pressure their is spark and enough power to the starter to get it going it just cranks but never goes does this make sense what you know or think ? thanks for help guys
Old 03-30-2014, 07:14 PM
opticor

Originally Posted by richards95stang
1995 mustang won't start v6 3.8l automatic just had starter swapped it worked fine then wouldn't start again after i parked it it is cranking but not fully starting starter fluid has it going for sec then dies i didn't have fuel in lines or pressure on a cold days few days agao then yesterday was warm fuel was in the fuel rail and pressure their is spark and enough power to the starter to get it going it just cranks but never goes does this make sense what you know or think ? thanks for help guys
I recommend changing the fuel filter and testing the fuel pump pressure.
Old 03-30-2014, 09:58 PM
BabyGT
5th Gear Member

Turn key to on position while you have the door open and hang your head out the door and listen to here if your pump pressurizes the system. If you don't hear the pump run at all then that's a start to what to fix.
Old 04-01-2014, 08:14 AM
richards95stang

I'm going to try changing the filter tho Friday and i would say its the pump to but now their is fuel in the fuel rail so I'm assuming the pump is working? but still no start and she aint flooded i tried cranking it without touching gas a bunch then with gas nothing. but maybe could it still be the pump?
Old 04-01-2014, 08:28 AM
BabyGT
5th Gear Member

Have you tried listening for it like I explained. This is pretty much sure fire way to tell if it's working or not.
Old 04-01-2014, 12:08 PM
richards95stang

no i will but their wasn't fuel in the rail on a cold day the a warm day their was ? so there fuel got their some how maybe but I'm going to try that today ill let you now how it goes
Old 04-01-2014, 12:56 PM
BabyGT
5th Gear Member

Liquid expands when heated. And when it's got nowhere else to go....
Old 04-01-2014, 03:30 PM
richards95stang

so it works then doesn't work on and off i can hear it but when i can hear it wind up like a robot high pitch noise for 2 secs or so in the on position it start turn off try right again can't hear it won't start try 5 6 more times starts s again randomly can pump not work and work like that ? also their a broken connector that sits to get underneath my right wheel whelll right beside the starter connection into true firewall and a wire from the motor some were travels down to that broken connector it sits together , but its broke clean but i assume it sitting this works and connects still. wat is that wire , could it be the fuel pump wire ?
Old 04-02-2014, 12:10 AM
opticor

Originally Posted by richards95stang
I'm going to try changing the filter tho Friday and i would say its the pump to but now their is fuel in the fuel rail so I'm assuming the pump is working? but still no start and she aint flooded i tried cranking it without touching gas a bunch then with gas nothing. but maybe could it still be the pump?
the fuel pump could be "working" and still not put out enough pressure...the fuel injection system requires a minimum pressure to work correctly. test the fuel pressure at the fuel pump...

just because you can hear it turn on for 2 secs does not mean all is well.

hearing it turn on for 2 secs is a good thing, that means it is getting power and it's supposed to shut off like that. it only stays on when the motor is running.
Old 04-02-2014, 12:12 AM
opticor

btw, pumping the gas pedal will have no effect of the amount of gas going into the engine while trying to start the engine on a fuel injected car.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Starting issues