V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

O/D light flashing: codes P0741 P1744; auto trans: hard to downshift;

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2014, 10:22 PM
iateadonut

Default O/D light flashing: codes P0741 P1744; auto trans: hard to downshift;

I just bought a Mustang, a 2001 automatic 4-speed, almost on a whim. I've already fixed the gas tank grommet, which was fun!

I had some problems shifting over a hill going 60 or so. It was really struggling and the "O/D off" light started blinking. I changed the tranny fluid (used Lucas) and took it for another spin. This time, it performed well but threw the code again. The codes were:

P0741 torque converter clutch selenoid circuit performance or stuck
http://www.fordobdcode.com/p0741-ford
P1744 torque converter selenoid circuit performance
http://www.fordobdcode.com/p0744-ford

The shifting is still sometimes hard/delayed but it doesn't struggle. I did not see any metal in the pan, but there was a lot of black goop (which was around the magnet, so it must have some metal in it). The major problem is downshifting. When I am slowing down it stays in too high of a gear.

I found this article:
http://www.crownvic.net/ubbthreads/u...Number=1460366

which convinced me that I can switch out some solenoids myself. I've ordered these parts from transmissionpartsusa.com:
Transmission hard wired internal harness 1998-on.
Transmission shift solenoid 1998-2008
Transmission TCC lock up solenoid 1998-on

I'm going to change the trans fluid again before the electronic parts get here, and then again when the parts get here (while I change the electronic parts).

Will I actually be able to get to and change the TCC and shift solenoid by simply taking off the trans-oil pan (and harness)?

Should I be shifting to neutral when I'm running towards a red light?
Old 05-07-2014, 11:18 PM
Daehawk
4th Gear Member

Id normally ask why are you shifting at all since it's an automatic but I enjoy doing the same thing way too much.
Old 05-08-2014, 07:49 AM
corker
1st Gear Member

Sure is pointing to a TCC solenoid problem (codes and performance). The link you attached was very thorough and it appears the shift and TCC solenoids can be changed fairly easily with the pan removed. I wouldn't change the fluid again before installing the electronic parts, just wait until you're ready to install new solenoids.
I changed TCC on a Buick Grand National Trans 200R4 (I think) and it was very easy and straight forward. Just pay close attention to your wire routing and reinstall wiring exactly the same way as it came out.
Corky
Old 05-08-2014, 08:36 AM
BabyGT
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by iateadonut

Should I be shifting to neutral when I'm running towards a red light?
NOOOIOOO!!!!?!!!!!

That is a good way to grenade a transmission.

Technically even when you're manually shifting an auto the computer is still in control of the shifts and is still going to shift when IT feels like it. Basically your just suggesting it to shift.
Old 05-09-2014, 07:12 AM
iateadonut

Originally Posted by corker
Sure is pointing to a TCC solenoid problem (codes and performance). The link you attached was very thorough and it appears the shift and TCC solenoids can be changed fairly easily with the pan removed. I wouldn't change the fluid again before installing the electronic parts, just wait until you're ready to install new solenoids.
I changed TCC on a Buick Grand National Trans 200R4 (I think) and it was very easy and straight forward. Just pay close attention to your wire routing and reinstall wiring exactly the same way as it came out.
Corky
Cool. I started draining ALL the fluid last night by opening up the drain plug on the torque converter, so I'll do a complete change of the trans fluid. This video was helpful:
. I bought 13 bottles of Valvoline full synthetic mercon V and two bottles of Lucas transmission treatment.

I get the solenoids today in the mail around 4pm. I'll be ready to switch those out and fill 'er back up with brand new trans fluid. I'll let y'all know how it goes.

(And I won't shift into neutral going to a red light.)
Old 05-10-2014, 06:50 PM
iateadonut

Works now! I drove quite a few miles on highways and could not get the car to throw the code. It felt pretty nice.

One caveat, when I changed the Transmission shift solenoid, I broke the old one out. (i got it out by screwing a screw into it and pulling it out.) If you're out to only change the TCC, you need to pull the Transmission shift solenoid out both sides at the same time. In my case, I ordered all three parts, just in case, and installed them all, since I already had them.

And I actually had this setup:

so I had no wires to mess up. I was really careful with the plastic connector and it went in easily.

I hope this compilation of information helps someone else who has these codes.
Old 05-21-2014, 08:48 PM
iateadonut

Before you start on this whole project, triple check that your shift cable is properly adjusted, by the way. I'm not sure, but that might've been the whole problem, even throwing the code that told me to change the solenoids.