V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

H pipe or X pipe for v6

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2014, 06:59 PM
jthorn9
The Godfather

Originally Posted by Mustang Man Hunter
I don't mean to steal the show on this thread, but I'm looking to do some exhaust work to my 04 V6. Would it be too much to do, instead of an x or h pipe, 2 straight pipes all the way back? I don't need to worry about emissions where i'm at. Would it sound too obnoxious?
You can do anything you want on a V6 because of the even fire motor as none give any advantage hp wise so long as you watch your pipe diameter. Straights will sound very similar to h pipes so whatever is easiest and suits you best will be fine.

Also, keep in mind loudness has more to do with muffler style and specific cattalatic converter choice than the mid pipe. Mid pipes can affect tone, but not nearly as much as the above. Mid pipes have more of an effect on the stability of the air entering the mufflers than tone, hence why x pipes tend to be more raspy and can pop more due to more instability in the air flow, despite the fact that it balances out air pressure.

Last edited by jthorn9; 05-29-2014 at 07:02 PM.
Old 05-29-2014, 11:49 PM
Jmherman93

Default Thanks again!

Thank you to everyone who helped! I chatted today with a guy on AmericanMuscle.com and asked him questions.

My final decision and setup:

keeping stock pipes and cats.
shop fabricated H pipe
sticking with 2 in piping from the cats back.
Flowmaster 40 delta flow mufflers offset inlet/offset outlet
and using plain pipe out the back of the car

I am hoping it sounds the way I like and I will post a video of it once I get it done.
Old 05-30-2014, 09:52 AM
mcrider
2nd Gear Member

I don't mean to steal the show on this thread, but I'm looking to do some exhaust work to my 04 V6. Would it be too much to do, instead of an x or h pipe, 2 straight pipes all the way back? I don't need to worry about emissions where i'm at. Would it sound too obnoxious?
Without a crossover pipe of some sort, be it an H or an X, you will lose some torque. This is one of the main reasons for the crossover pipe. It does help. Also, I like to use bullet style mufflers (cherry bombs) placed directly under the cabin area with no axle backs. In my opinion, it gives a much better sound. this effectively eliminates the drone that so many complain about.
Old 06-01-2014, 05:34 PM
skidawgz
2nd Gear Member

I had straight pipes for a hot minute and it was hands down the most obnoxious car (save for Honda Civics) I've ever heard. I had an H-pipe welded on ASAP.

Original straight thru setup was Long Tubes to a set of Magnaflow Spun straight back into Borla S-Type. Borlas already sound pretty raspy on a 6, and the straight were SOOOOOOO Loud.

TLDR: Don't do straight pipes on a 6, unless it is a track-only car.
Old 06-01-2014, 08:22 PM
Daehawk
4th Gear Member

If ya do make sure to get some straight cut gears to go with it
Old 06-01-2014, 09:53 PM
BabyGT
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mcrider
Without a crossover pipe of some sort, be it an H or an X, you will lose some torque. This is one of the main reasons for the crossover pipe. It does help. Also, I like to use bullet style mufflers (cherry bombs) placed directly under the cabin area with no axle backs. In my opinion, it gives a much better sound. this effectively eliminates the drone that so many complain about.
A cross over makes no difference to hp on an even firing engine. Just makes a difference in sound.