V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

H pipe or X pipe for v6

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2014, 01:00 AM
Jmherman93

Default H pipe or X pipe for v6

This is my first post to this forum so I apologize if this thread has been posted before, but, I need some help with some decisions with my mustang's exhaust. Now I'm not stupid with exhaust but I just have some questions I need clarified. Where better to ask than a Mustang Forum right?

My car and current setup:
1998 Ford Mustang base model 3.8l v6, totally stock. Its current exhaust is completely stock. Headers, cats, 2 inch pipes and current muffler are all from the factory.

What I want from my exhaust:
I want as deep of a tone as I can possibly get from my stock v6 without blowing a huge chunk of cash.

What I plan on using:
Flowmaster delta flow 40s (aggressive sound, I like them from experience)
Plain pipe out the back (looks good, not flashy)
Keeping stock cats and headers (for now)
Using 2 inch piping (what it has now)
Shop fabricated x or h pipe (save money as compared to a brand name)
Right now I'm looking at $90 a piece on the mufflers plus $200 for the work from an exhaust shop in my local area. So im looking about $380

From the research that I have already done I know that the X pipe will give more horsepower and the H pipe will give more sound. I also know that the X pipe flows better, which seems kinda obvious. I also think I read that the X pipe will give a more raspy sound.

My questions:
What is the difference between the H and X pipes? (besides physical shape)
Is there a different option that would give the rumble I am looking for?
Will a certain type of tips help me with the sound?
How will will large pipe affect the sound?
Will a muffler with a bigger diameter in and out cause a difference?
Other mufflers for similar or less price of good quality that will give a deeper rumble?

The question I made this thread for. For my specific stock 3.8l v6, do I want and H pipe or an that x pipe to get a deeper tone?

Any video clips would also be great.

So if any one can give me additional information or advice, it would be greatly appreciated.
Old 05-28-2014, 01:47 AM
Daehawk
4th Gear Member

You want an H pipe for a deeper sound. X on a V6 is very raspy.
Old 05-28-2014, 10:10 AM
mcrider
2nd Gear Member

As I just posted on another thread, An H pipe will give you a deeper old school sound and an X pipe will give you a raspier sound. Also an H pipe will give you more horsepower and torque in the lower to mid rpms while the X pipe will give you more hp and tq in the upper rpm range. Most of my driving is done in the lower to mid rpms, so this is my preference. Hope this helps.
Old 05-28-2014, 02:36 PM
Jmherman93

This is the exact kind of response I was hoping for. Thank you very much! Have any other advice?
Old 05-28-2014, 09:48 PM
jthorn9
The Godfather

No difference in HP on H vs X on a V6. V6s are even fire engines and gain no advantages over power with either. H pipes do tend to have a slightly less raspier sound than X pipes.
Old 05-28-2014, 11:55 PM
Jmherman93

Default Thanks to all three!

Even tho the answers varied in a few ways. There was one thing that you all said that was exactly what I needed to hear. I have decided to go with the h pipe because from the responses I got that is obviously what I am looking for. So thanks again to all. What do you all think about the pipes diameter? Go bigger or stay?
Old 05-29-2014, 10:58 AM
Daehawk
4th Gear Member

I think mine are 2.5"
Old 05-29-2014, 12:27 PM
Mustang Man Hunter

I don't mean to steal the show on this thread, but I'm looking to do some exhaust work to my 04 V6. Would it be too much to do, instead of an x or h pipe, 2 straight pipes all the way back? I don't need to worry about emissions where i'm at. Would it sound too obnoxious?
Old 05-29-2014, 01:12 PM
Jmherman93

To me, straight pipes would sound too obnoxious. Where I live, straight pipes is a very common thing and no matter what car its on I always think its too loud. But obviously its your car. Do what you like.
Old 05-29-2014, 04:35 PM
Daehawk
4th Gear Member

Stick a glass pack on those pipes

Quick Reply: H pipe or X pipe for v6