V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

Best replacement hood for 2000?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2014, 11:53 PM
TfcCDR
2nd Gear Member

Default Best replacement hood for 2000?

Courtesy of a little old lady who didn't realize that one should not pull out in front of red and blue lights, our 2000 Mustang Q Car has a cracked hood. The hood also doesn't fit right anymore, there left side sticks up a little above the fender.

We've left it like that for a while, since it was harder for other drivers to make it as a copmobile, but now the thing is starting to wiggle too much at high speed, and I figure it has to be replaced before it decides to come apart from the breeze.

That means we're looking for an inexpensive hood, preferably lighter weight than the factory hood. It has to have the same shape of false scoop so that we can swap the hideout lights over to the new one.

The guys from another agency using the Mustang suggested that I come ask here.

Thanks, and SMILE! I could be BEHIND you!
Old 07-22-2014, 07:28 PM
Mobiusone stang
2nd Gear Member

But, but officer I was only doing 10 over! Lol no I'm just kidding. But since No one has responded, i thought I would. And I apologize as I can not answer your question straight off, but when looking for you I did find this

http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/...ed-For-Hood-Sc

LRS is an amazing company and the sell only the best products, at least from my experiences. If this is a little to much, then maybe look around a pick a part junk yard or the like. If this is the correct hood, then you shouldnt have any trouble finding them since they were on all v6's (a few editions not withstanding). I would look for one that has been re-ended. I hope this helps!
Old 07-22-2014, 07:40 PM
DRAGUL
5th Gear Member

Welcome to MF. If you are looking to go cheap, then look for a original hood from a junkyard or Craigslist. You do not want to go the cheap route on a aftermarket hood, as you will pay for it in the long run.
Old 07-22-2014, 10:12 PM
TfcCDR
2nd Gear Member

Mobius:

At 10 over, we won't come out of stealth. A motor or a radio car might get you at 10 over, but not whoever's in the Q cars. We're being sneaky because in a minute or two someone will come blasting by at 20 or more over the limit, and he's the one we want to have a chat with. We've seen "Posted: 45; Actual: 80" more than once, and are trying to get people to worry that anyone might be an unmarked.

We like the V6 more than the V8. Mileage is better, and it's lighter in handling turns. It may not be as fast as a full-muscle car, but NOBODY outruns the radio.

Thanks for the info!

Dragul:

Thanks for the advice. That may be how we go. Or maybe put a bra on it to hold stuff together. Or superglue it all together?

The guy who was driving it the other day told me he was half expecting the hood to come apart on the highway.
Old 07-23-2014, 08:16 PM
Mobiusone stang
2nd Gear Member

I apologize I gave wrong information in my earlier post. Not all v6 Mustangs had the same hood. They switched to this reverse style hood in 02 or 03. I'm not sure which year. But either way if you looking at a junkyard they should be plentiful. Now my other question, is the hood structure ok at the hood hinges? Like is it warped up above the bolts etc?
Attached Thumbnails Best replacement hood for 2000?-cimg0040.jpg  
Old 07-25-2014, 01:32 AM
TfcCDR
2nd Gear Member

I get the "you're not allowed" page when I try to look at your jpg.

I'll take a better look at the hood this afternoon or tomorrow morning and know more. My impression was that the only damage was to some of the plastic in the front, including the hood.
Old 07-25-2014, 07:22 PM
Mobiusone stang
2nd Gear Member

I think to view photos you have to have a "certain" number of posts, or something haha. It was just showing the other type of hood that was used on later mustangs. But the link I posted in my first post should be the correct type of hood. When you check, I would check the hood hinges and the bolts in them, as well as the hood latch. Pop the hood from the inside but dont unlatch it up front. Lift it up till it catches, then get at an angle to where you can shine a flashlight up the gap looking at the latch to see how it is. I am not a car expert by any means, but if I was in your shoes, that is what I would check first. Let me know if there is anything else I can help with
Old 07-26-2014, 09:56 AM
TfcCDR
2nd Gear Member

Everything looks good except for the plastic and the hood itself.
Old 07-26-2014, 01:41 PM
Mobiusone stang
2nd Gear Member

If the three areas that hold the hood down (the two hinges and the latch) look good to you then you should be ok for a while till you find a new hood. A car bra might work, but If something major was to fail then it probably wouldnt stop the hood from flying into the windshield. Plus they are not that cheap, so you would just be adding to the cost. I still think finding hood in good condition from a pick a part yard would be the best bet, especially if its a matching color (I'm not sure what color your department uses) because again if the hinges are good, it should be at least to my knowledge just a direct swap. As for finding a lighter weight one, I'm not sure of anyone who makes that for this style of hood. Hopefully someone will know better than me on that subject.
Old 07-26-2014, 03:49 PM
Daehawk
4th Gear Member

Bungie cords.

Quick Reply: Best replacement hood for 2000?