V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

Best replacement hood for 2000?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2014, 06:26 PM
Mobiusone stang
2nd Gear Member

^ The duct tape of the rope/twine/cord industry
Old 08-05-2014, 08:43 PM
BabyGT
5th Gear Member

Even if you find a GT hood in a parts yard you can still unbolt the big scoop from the hood and have a "v6" hood. Craigslist usually has an abundance of v6 hoods though from younger people swapping to cobra or other aftermarket hoods and looking to unload the old hood.
Old 08-06-2014, 03:35 PM
Mobiusone stang
2nd Gear Member

For some reason I never think about Craigslist!! If he was to unbolt the scoop, would there still be holes drilled for the bolts or whatever crazy thing ford used? lol
Old 08-07-2014, 11:19 AM
TfcCDR
2nd Gear Member

UPDATE:

Looking at the hood, the upper and lower plastic delaminated. It has been glued back together.

One of the bolts that holds hood to hinge is broken.

The damage to the leading edge of the hood will be hidden by a bra. Alternately, maybe we can put on some ductape!
Old 08-09-2014, 07:11 AM
BabyGT
5th Gear Member

I still wouldn't trust the two layers to stay together at highway speeds, might be a good idea to invest in a cheap set of hood pins.

And that's the kind of stuff that lets you sneak up on people, riding with my buddy down some back roads, doing maybe 10 over, I tell him slow down there's a car coming up behind us. He goes its got a headlight out its not like its a cop, sure enough its a fully dressed crown vic police cruiser. One ticket, a pissed off friend, and the chance to say I told you so later and we are on our way again.
Old 08-12-2014, 10:54 PM
TfcCDR
2nd Gear Member

One tactic that we use with our Q cars is to drive the speed limit in the left lane. Sure enough, someone will tailgate for a mile, then go blasting past at 20 above the limit (the automotive equivalent of kicking sand in our faces). The amazing thing is how often it's local guys who do it, and we've been doing it so long, everyone in the area should know about it by now.

You want to know the secret to not getting tickets? Remember that we're HUNTING you, and don't act like PREY. When someone passes you, don't prove that you can pass them, prove that you're smart enough to let THEM get the roadside chat!
Old 08-13-2014, 03:08 PM
Mobiusone stang
2nd Gear Member

I gota admit, hood pins are an excellent idea. That would be my short term solution.

My favorite cop car has to of been, It was the Indiana Highway Patrol. We were driving and saw flashing blues and whites ahead, but also saw the sequential taillights of a Mustang going. Kinda took me for a loop for a second. We pass him, turns out its a Boss 302 cop car.
Old 08-14-2014, 06:45 AM
BabyGT
5th Gear Member

Yeah theres an unmarked 5.0 and an unmarked 3.7 both current Gen stangs in my area. I don't understand what the big deal is with just doing the speed limit anyhow. My dad get such bad road rage for no reason if someone is in front of him. Half the time I'm trying to point out to him hey that dudes doing the speed limit, its not like he's holding up traffic. I do not get the mentality.
Old 08-14-2014, 06:48 AM
BabyGT
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by TfcCDR
One tactic that we use with our Q cars is to drive the speed limit in the left lane. Sure enough, someone will tailgate for a mile, then go blasting past at 20 above the limit (the automotive equivalent of kicking sand in our faces). The amazing thing is how often it's local guys who do it, and we've been doing it so long, everyone in the area should know about it by now.

You want to know the secret to not getting tickets? Remember that we're HUNTING you, and don't act like PREY. When someone passes you, don't prove that you can pass them, prove that you're smart enough to let THEM get the roadside chat!
Cops in my area are usually doing about 15-20 over in the 55-60's areas, and like 10 over when its 35-45. Regularly see some of them flip lights to get through lights that just turned red then flip them off when through.

Some of them are okay, I've talked to a few and know one from high school but a bigger chunk than the cool ones abuse the position.
Old 08-16-2014, 02:06 AM
TfcCDR
2nd Gear Member

There are two reasons that we go above the speed limit. First, if a marked unit goes out into traffic, we immediately find ourselves surrounded by a platoon of cars all driving exactly the speed limit. It's not our job to herd you along, we're out there to stop drivers who need to be stopped, and the only way to do that is to hunt them down.

Second, if you've ever thought to yourself that there's never a cop around when you need one, well, we're trying to rectify that problem. A radio car running fast without lights (or bringing up the lights to get through and intersection then going dark again) might be on the way to back up another cop, or to a call that's urgent but not enough to "roll code." Running with the disco lights and the sound effects going boosts the risks to us and to YOU. People often react in strange ways to the lights and noise (I can tell you stories . . !), but a dark car or motor can snake through traffic and get there almost as fast.

I will add that my primary mount at work is a BMW RTP -- you don't usually find me in a car, but some days I ride more than 100 miles.

Yes, there are a few cops who abuse the position, but a lot of what you think is abuse is actually using tools they've been given to do a better job. There aren't enough cops to do everything that you folks want us to do, so we have to do it the most efficient ways that we can. For instance, when I started my career, I was with a department that found 35 - 40 minutes to be the optimum lunch break (any shorter and they rush, any longer and it takes longer to get back into the swing of things after lunch). That became my standard, and I've followed it in all the years since. Once I got into higher responsibility positions, I brought it into the two agencies that I've spent the rest of my career with (I retired once, about 10 years ago, and was asked to take on my current job).

That is only one of the many little things that we bring into policy to make your life better. Another is the policies on pursuits that most agencies have developed. Some agencies require termination of pursuits if traffic begins to get heavy, or when speed is the only want on a fleeing vehicle, because of the risk to the public. Other agencies may keep pursuits going because of those same risks, believing that a speeding car which gets away with it will do it again. What's really amusing is that cops will sometimes try to guide those vehicles into the jurisdictions which will maintain pursuit, though their own policy requires termination.

All of that said, I will openly admit that, YES, there are cops who will roll code to get to a lunch date with wife or girlfriend, or will drive like the people they spent the day writing citations to. If you KNOW of someone abusing their powers contact their Watch Commander, Chief, Sheriff, etc and make the complaint in writing. We don't want them to get away with it any more than you do. I can always find someone else to put into a radio car, I don't need Officer Scumbag out there wearing the same uniform that I wear.

And if they're not abusing it to the point where you are willing to make an official complaint, you're not really all that bothered by it in the first place, right?

Anyway, I didn't mean to go into a lecture here. I just believe that the more you know about my job, the better off we all are.

One other thing. My people don't have a "quota" that they have to meet. If there was one, they would have no trouble meeting it by citing legitimate violators. If you get got, you and I both know that it looked to the traffic officer that you were the best candidate in view for your chance in court. Most of the time, we don't stop anyone for doing, say, 7 over the posted limit. It's not that we don't care, but why stop you when someone doing 15 or 20 over will be along in a minute or two?

Quick Reply: Best replacement hood for 2000?