V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

Common New Edge problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2014, 07:32 PM
Mobiusone stang
2nd Gear Member

Default Common New Edge problems

Hey Guys!

I thought I would start this thread, just so everyone can tell of common problems that plague our beloved cars. Someone might be able to have that "a ha!" moment, or just become aware of things to look out for.

I would love to start off with the door inserts. The one with the door locks. Yea those buggers. They always freaking pop out. (but hey it makes something nice to hit hard when your in traffic :P ) I've heard of using electrical tape around the top tab... If you have had this problem, what did you do?

And please feel free to list any other oddities or problems!!
Old 07-22-2014, 09:39 PM
jthorn9
The Godfather

I wouldn't say that there are a lot of real "problems" with these cars, but there are some minor here or there issues.

1.) Door insert can dry rot and or easily snap over time, however this is usually caused by an improper previous removal.

2.) Door lining can "peel up or swell" over time. Usually caused by excessive heat coupled with excessive water damage.

3.) Exhaust manifolds rust and cause exhaust leaks. Caused by Fords poor placement of the A/C moisture drainage.

4.) Rear speaker cover difficult to remove and can break easily.

5.) Drivers power seats can short. Common problem with any power seat though.

6.) Factory CD players known for failure.

7.) Door switches known to go dead over time. Caused by solid gauge wire being ran through the doors and constant opening/closing shorts the wires over time.
Old 07-22-2014, 10:06 PM
Daehawk
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mobiusone stang
Hey Guys!

I thought I would start this thread, just so everyone can tell of common problems that plague our beloved cars. Someone might be able to have that "a ha!" moment, or just become aware of things to look out for.

I would love to start off with the door inserts. The one with the door locks. Yea those buggers. They always freaking pop out. (but hey it makes something nice to hit hard when your in traffic :P ) I've heard of using electrical tape around the top tab... If you have had this problem, what did you do?

And please feel free to list any other oddities or problems!!
My driver's side broke. The little tabs all broke off at the same time. I found out it is a f'n $60 piece of plastic. Im not paying that so some in here suggested velcro. Yup. I velcro'd it back in place with one big piece behind it and one smaller piece on the bottom of it. its worked well and not moved a bit but the leather/vinyl its attached to in behind it is itself starting to move a little bit away from the door. So it has a gap in it. The velcro is still holding as strong as ever its just stretching i guess there. Going to have to ge ta used or new piece for that some day.
Old 07-25-2014, 01:44 AM
TfcCDR
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mobiusone stang
Shoe Goo. A few dabs in the appropriate places. If you ever need to pull the panel again, just apply gentle, steady pressure and it will peel free.
Old 07-25-2014, 07:25 PM
Mobiusone stang
2nd Gear Member

Shoe Goo, hmmm I've never heard of it I'll have to check that out!!

And Daehawk, when you pulled the silly panel out, where did you put the velcro? For the life of me I couldnt remember seeing a spot inside that would be good to mount it, but I might just be blanking lol

And I have definitely heard about the exhaust manifold problems!
Old 07-25-2014, 07:36 PM
Daehawk
4th Gear Member

Ok so you're sitting in your seat looking at the plastic part. I put one large piece directly behind it against the door. I put a smaller piece on the bottom of it towards the back of the car. I could not find a place to put a piece towards the front of it.
Old 07-25-2014, 10:17 PM
Mobiusone stang
2nd Gear Member

Alright alright I think I see where your saying. Luckily I have some extra velcro laying around (you know, to hold down my unjustified smoked headlight covers that "I just had to buy" ). I'll give that a try thanks!
Old 07-28-2014, 03:44 PM
Daehawk
4th Gear Member

I can take some pics if you need them.
Old 07-28-2014, 11:35 PM
Mobiusone stang
2nd Gear Member

That would be amazing!
Old 07-29-2014, 03:55 PM
Daehawk
4th Gear Member

Ok took some pics. Sorry for the quality..Im not the best picture taker lol..plus the car needs detailed but anyways..

this first one is showing where the big piece is behind the panel and what size it is. I didn't cut it to fit.

Just another pic of where that piece is.

This is where the 2nd and smaller piece is. I cut it to fit. Its the only other place I could find to stick a piece.

This is a view behind the panel. See how it has pulled away from the door a little? When i first stuck it there it was a tight fit but over time the fake leather on the door has pulled away a little. Its still solidly stuck there tough.

Quick Reply: Common New Edge problems