V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

Bama Performance and Race Tunes for Rallycross

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2014, 04:46 PM
Ty Crawford

Default Bama Performance and Race Tunes for Rallycross

Hey everyone.

I've got a 2000 V6 Mustang that I've been rallycross racing.

I'll let that sit in for a second...

Anyway, I'm three races into the season, with race #4 coming up this weekend. I've got an SR intake, iridium plugs, and MSD wires and coils. I also have a BAMA tune set from American Muscle. I've only ever used the street tune. I'm wondering about the other two tunes included on the tuner, and if I can expect any gains from them at the rally track, and whether I'm running any risk of damage in doing so.

Allow me to elaborate further. The only "damage" I seem to have sustained through these races is I've worsened my already damaged stock exhaust manifolds. Pretty sure there were cracks in them, pretty sure I made them worse. I've got 94-98 headers to put on when I can. The car's got 219,000 miles on it, but I swear it runs pretty great. However, I've only had it since just before 200K, and I have nothing to compare it to when it comes down to how great it does for what its got.

I usually keep the car in second, maybe a little bit of third, when racing, usually keeping in the 2500-3200 range, if this helps any.
Old 07-23-2014, 04:59 PM
torchred02
3rd Gear Member

You will probably notice a bigger difference switching out your stock manifolds than the tunes.
I went from stock to a bama race tune and the only thing I honestly noticed was the change in shift points/firmness, then again I have an automatic. I`m sure you will gain a little bit of power through the rpms with a tune though and every bit helps
Old 07-24-2014, 10:29 AM
AMAlexLazarus
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Ty Crawford
Hey everyone.

I've got a 2000 V6 Mustang that I've been rallycross racing.

I'll let that sit in for a second...

Anyway, I'm three races into the season, with race #4 coming up this weekend. I've got an SR intake, iridium plugs, and MSD wires and coils. I also have a BAMA tune set from American Muscle. I've only ever used the street tune. I'm wondering about the other two tunes included on the tuner, and if I can expect any gains from them at the rally track, and whether I'm running any risk of damage in doing so.

Allow me to elaborate further. The only "damage" I seem to have sustained through these races is I've worsened my already damaged stock exhaust manifolds. Pretty sure there were cracks in them, pretty sure I made them worse. I've got 94-98 headers to put on when I can. The car's got 219,000 miles on it, but I swear it runs pretty great. However, I've only had it since just before 200K, and I have nothing to compare it to when it comes down to how great it does for what its got.

I usually keep the car in second, maybe a little bit of third, when racing, usually keeping in the 2500-3200 range, if this helps any.
Hey Ty,

I'd love to see some pics or video of the monster! Good question and you're going to see differences in throttle sensitivity and where the power comes on with the performance and race tune. I would recommend switching tunes if you haven't already done so to get a feel for it before you're competing. In regards to the manifolds did you get a look at them? If they're compromised I would definitely take a look at a different set of Shorty Headers/Manifolds because the damage could potentially be hurting your performance! Let me know if you have any questions and I'm here to help!

Alex
Old 07-26-2014, 02:00 AM
Ty Crawford

Originally Posted by AMAlexLazarus
Hey Ty,

I'd love to see some pics or video of the monster! Good question and you're going to see differences in throttle sensitivity and where the power comes on with the performance and race tune. I would recommend switching tunes if you haven't already done so to get a feel for it before you're competing. In regards to the manifolds did you get a look at them? If they're compromised I would definitely take a look at a different set of Shorty Headers/Manifolds because the damage could potentially be hurting your performance! Let me know if you have any questions and I'm here to help!

Alex
While I fancy myself a photographer, I havent been able to get any good shots of my car while driving it, because I'm driving it.

I did a GoPro video at the last local race, viewable at the following link:

I've seen soot on the EGR tube flange, and the indicator to me that they're broken is that when I seafoam, more white smoke comes from my manifolds than out of my tailpipe. I also get a stupid sticking idle issue combined with a lean code, which a lot of folks have told me is likely due to a pre-O2 exhaust leak.
Old 08-01-2014, 07:23 PM
jthorn9
The Godfather

You won't see any major difference between the tunes on a stock car. The tunes will create a maximum of 3 hp difference on your setup. Hardly enough to change any performance. You'd see a larger change by racing on cooler days are lower altitudes than the tunes. The tunes will only show major differences on highly modified cars or those running boost.
Old 08-03-2014, 08:21 PM
BabyGT
5th Gear Member

Good lord, I just watched that video, while it looks fun as crap I imagine its killer on stock suspension parts.