V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

1995 Mustang v6 water in oil

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2014, 02:48 PM
speedygt5

Default 1995 Mustang v6 water in oil

Hello guys I have a 1995 mustang v6 and i recently discovered water in the oil. The car did not heat up or the engine didn't seize up. But There is definately water in the oil. The oil looks like chocolate milk. Any ideas on what the problem can be? I am assuming it is a head gasket or lower intake gasket. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 08-22-2014, 12:19 PM
PNYXPRESS
5th Gear Member

head gasket let go. replace with 99-04 style.
Old 08-23-2014, 07:58 PM
speedygt5

I pulled the heads today and the gaskets don't look bad, I know it is possible that they are faulty or have micro cracks. What else should I look for? Also the lower intake gasket looks to be in decent condition. One thing that I did notice was the holes on the head gaskets that permit water to run through the motor were clogged up pretty good.
Old 08-23-2014, 08:22 PM
LilRoush
6th Gear Member

If there is a water/oil mix, it will be the head gasket on the 94 and early 95 cars. If it's not, you're looking at a crack in the block or head somewhere letting the two mix.
Old 08-23-2014, 11:45 PM
dawson1112
5th Gear Member

How long have you had the car? Its possible that someone replaced head gaskets once and botched the torque sequence on the head bolts, it is also possible that someone replaced them and the head was warped from over heating. This would not let the gasket seal up no matter what.

If you have water and oil mixing its a head gasket.

Were any of the head bolts noticeably easier to remove than the others?

I think that the 88-95 cars had a lot of head gasket failures. Not just the mustangs but all the early 3.8l engines. Including thunder bird cougar and windstar to name a few. I believe that there was a tsb put out on the issue iirc.
Old 08-26-2014, 10:36 AM
speedygt5

I hear the same thing about those 89-95 3.8l maybe due to asbestos being banned from the automotive industry (gaskets), not sure why. But all of the bolts seemed relatively similar in "tightness" so I don't think that is the issue. As I stated before the head gaskets do not seem cracked or torn, but the water holes on the gaskets, heads, and block seemed to be clogged by a gasket looking material. Maybe it is possible that when the motor heats up and everything expands the water had no where to go due to the clog so it seeped into the cylinders. Just an idea though, if you guys have any thoughts just shoot. I really appreciate all of the suggestions so far, trouble shooting can be a real pain sometimes....
Old 08-26-2014, 10:46 AM
dawson1112
5th Gear Member

If the coolant ports on the heads seemed to be gummed up with some kind of gunk its likely that the previous owner put some kind of crap in there to seal a head gasket leak. Bottom line here is you have it tore down, so have the heads inspected for warpage by a shop, get some newer type model year 99 gaskets for it and button it all back up. Flush the coolant system and try to remove any remnants of that sealer gunk that was dumped in it. It irks me when pple put that head gasket sealer in a radiator and expect to work. It might work for a few hundred miles but it will fail eventually, and if like in your case it blocks the coolant from entering the heads the heads will get hot and warp.
Old 08-28-2014, 01:24 AM
speedygt5

Yeah I know what you mean, I am not sure what the previous owners did with it. But now since it is torn down I think it is best to have the heads checked as you stated as well. That is the plan for now, I will post the results after the heads are examined. Thank you guys, I appreciate all the help.
Old 08-31-2014, 11:11 AM
mustangman02232
6th Gear Member

Is it something you plan on keeping for a while? Might want to look at jus swapping a 96.5-98 motor in there with less miles , or a 99-04 3.8 or a 97-0? 4.2 out of a e/f150 are fairly simple swaps and can be had cheap
Old 09-01-2014, 11:49 PM
speedygt5

No, I thought about turning it into a super sixxer project, but I decided I will sell the car instead and spend the money on my other mustang and save for upcoming semesters in college.

Quick Reply: 1995 Mustang v6 water in oil