V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

Need Help: 2000 Mustang V6 Rough Start(cold) Rough Idle, Misfire/Shudder

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2014, 10:45 AM
SteelerNation82
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by te_atl
I had the exact same problem on an 02 3.8L Convertible. It turned out to be a cracked coil pack.
Coil pack is brand new, Motorcraft. As a matter of fact, after I found my multimeter I checked out the resistance of the original and it was within spec, identical results as the replacement, so the original coil was perfectly fine.

I rechecked my plugs last weekend and they all had some traces of oil on the threads along with some carbon build up, alhough I was currently running a bottle of Techron fuel system treatment which maybe caused some discoloration?
See link below for pics of my plugs:
http://s156.photobucket.com/user/ric...ibrary/Mustang

Also, I had replaced the PCV valve and grommet a few weeks prior. I wonder if the replacement valve I bought from AZ is a bit suspect, causing more oil to leak past so after I inspected the plugs I swapped it out for the original MC valve to see if there's a difference. I plan on hopefully pulling the plugs again this weekend and doing a comp. test and FP test to see where they're at.
Old 11-24-2014, 02:12 PM
SteelerNation82
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by corker
That's the way mine looked, except that I had many small cracks in the rubber around the circumference. I would have never condemned it, because I couldn't see where anything had moved. I do recall driving the car would feel better than idling - as I shifted thru the gears and got to higher RPM's the vibration was less. But it was always there when I pushed the clutch in and the RPM's dropped at each shift - and it was always present at idle. Driving it, it sometimes felt like the vibration was loping (come and go) as I passed thru certain RPM bands.
I don't know, it's a tough call. Continue eliminating possible causes until the HB is your last possible cause.
Corky
I checked out my ignition components again and everything tested out fine. I got under the car and took a real close look at the balancer yesterday and noticed very small cracks and dry rot on the rubber insulation. The pictures won't show it but when hit it with my LED flashlight and followed the insulator around the edge I discovered small cracks. I went ahead and ordered a new HB so will install it and cross my fingers. I'll update with the results next week.
Old 12-10-2014, 04:22 PM
SteelerNation82
1st Gear Member

Well, I replaced the balancer last week, didn't do jack. I suppose I have to dig deeper and quit throwing parts at this thing, quite frustrating!

The original balancer did show some small cracks on the lip of the rubber but I suppose this didn't affect anything.
Old 12-11-2014, 12:03 PM
corker
1st Gear Member

Damn, that sucks. I feel like splitting the cost of the HB with you, I lead you down that path. Chasing these problems gets very frustrating.
I recall chasing a severe vibration in a brand new Kenworth tractor with a 13 liter CAT engine. Drove me crazy for 3 weeks. Long story short CAT put the wrong dipstick on the engine, and crankcase had 48 quarts of oil instead of 34 quarts. Put 34 qts in and the vibration was gone!
Good Luck,
Corky
Old 12-11-2014, 03:18 PM
SteelerNation82
1st Gear Member

Oh well, what are you going to do...I had checked fuel pressure, spark, leaks, etc. Only thing I didn't do was compression.
Old 12-11-2014, 03:27 PM
PNYXPRESS
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by SteelerNation82
Well, I replaced the balancer last week, didn't do jack. I suppose I have to dig deeper and quit throwing parts at this thing, quite frustrating!

The original balancer did show some small cracks on the lip of the rubber but I suppose this didn't affect anything.
Did you make sure you got the right balance balancer? The original may have been out of balance because of the deteriorated rubber and if the new one was the wrong balance then nothing would change. There are two different balancers for the 2000 model depending on manufacture of the engine/car.
Old 12-11-2014, 04:20 PM
SteelerNation82
1st Gear Member

Yes it was correct, just like the one removed.
Old 12-13-2014, 08:42 AM
te_atl

Just an FYI, 2000 mustangs with a 3.8 liter pull a little oil through the pcv valve. Theres a TCB on it.

http://www.miracerros.com/mustang/pcv_tsb.pdf
Old 12-13-2014, 03:15 PM
SteelerNation82
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by te_atl
Just an FYI, 2000 mustangs with a 3.8 liter pull a little oil through the pcv valve. Theres a TCB on it.

http://www.miracerros.com/mustang/pcv_tsb.pdf
I'm aware of this issue but I havne't found any other readings which describe my symptoms being attributed to this.
Old 12-14-2014, 05:29 PM
te_atl

Originally Posted by SteelerNation82
I'm aware of this issue but I havne't found any other readings which describe my symptoms being attributed to this.
It probably doesnt have anything to do with your symptoms. I was just commenting on your PCV valve swapping and wondering if the new one was letting oil past.

Quick Reply: Need Help: 2000 Mustang V6 Rough Start(cold) Rough Idle, Misfire/Shudder