V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

What's it worth? 2001 Base convertible

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2014, 07:41 PM
winger514

Default What's it worth? 2001 Base convertible

I've got possible chance to buy a 2001 V6, base convertible with LESS THAN 1000 MILES....YES, you read that right, less that 1000 actual miles. Now, here's the catch. Somewhere along the line the original, correct VIN in the window was changed to hide the identity of the car (we all assume it was stolen, but no one can find the report).

And, it appears that back in 2001 (according to AutoCheck) it was issued a junk title...which no one can now find.

IF it can buy it, it will come with a "legal" title issued because it went through a government process. This will take precedent over the junk title, but doesn't correct the missing VIN plate issue. The car's identify has been confirmed by experts. It still has the original, factory installed, oil filter....it is missing a couple of trim pieces and the rear bumper cover has some scrapes, but otherwise seems to be in "survivor" condition.

My question is, given the issues above, what is a reasonable amount to pay for the car? Book value runs from $1200 (rough retail) to about $5500 (clean retail). While the car is "clean" the missing VIN and the junk title, to me, bring the value way down.

And, any suggestions on what MUST be done to insure it's in safe running condition without destroying anymore of the originality than possible?

This will be (if I get it) my first Mustang and my first Ford in many, many years, so I'm not well informed on Ford stuff. (Pontiacs, on the other hand, I'm good at)

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.
Old 09-22-2014, 08:09 PM
oldfella
1st Gear Member

Run, don't walk.

This car has baggage.

How does anyone know it has less than 1000 miles, when the VIN is not even available?
Old 09-23-2014, 05:33 AM
dawson1112
5th Gear Member

There are other area where the VIN is located. There should be a vin on the frame when you open the drivers side door. There is a sticker there showing the vin and other info.

But please run from that car. There are software programs out there that are used to correct mileage of a car, mechanics use this software to swap out broken clusters, or computers so that the correct mileage is displayed on the digital dash. How ever it is often used to dupe unsuspecting buyers into believing the car has less miles that actual.

Don't believe me ,,, watch this guy in a matter of a few min as he rolls back the mileage on a digital dash using a hand held tech II.
Old 09-23-2014, 02:24 PM
TfcCDR
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by winger514
Somewhere along the line the original, correct VIN in the window was changed to hide the identity of the car (we all assume it was stolen, but no one can find the report).
This will take precedent over the junk title, but doesn't correct the missing VIN plate issue.
If you bring this car into my agency's area of authority with a bad or missing VIN plate, you will be subject to arrest and the car subject to impound. The assumption is that a vehicle with missing VIN is stolen, but the state can issue you a new VIN (and plate) which will solve that problem.

I don't trust the 1000 miles. Why would anyone buy a Mustang then not drive it? You have no idea about the history of this car.

I probably wouldn't buy it.
Old 09-23-2014, 10:01 PM
CPTCO
5th Gear Member

I probably wouldn't buy it either, but, I recently purchased a 2004 V6 base coupe. The car is absolutely pristine with 17000 miles. Paid $6500. Probably could've done better by a couple hundred bucks, but after seeing what was out there, I wanted the car and wasn't going to risk insulting the guy with a lowball offer. So hopefully that helps a little. I saw lots of cars that were I rough shape for a lot more money.
Old 09-23-2014, 11:36 PM
TfcCDR
2nd Gear Member

I've always liked the classic-brought-forward styling of the 2004 - 2005. It LOOKS like a Mustang. You didn't get hurt at all on the price.
Old 09-24-2014, 06:49 AM
winger514

thnx for all the replies. For what it's worth, it is a 1000 mile car. and I know the true VIN. It has been confirmed by auto theft experts and the undercarriage is brand new. 've been involved with collector cars for 40+ years and I know the differenct between restored and a survivor. This is a survivor.

The comment about secondary VINs is correct, but the location info is wrong. It has been checked and, as I said, I know the true VIN.

My big question is what is it worth, cash money, in the real world with its history. again, I'm not concerned with the miles...they are for real...I just don't want to get in too deep on the cost. I don't anticipate selling it (should I be able to buy it), but just don't want to be too foolish.
Old 09-24-2014, 08:04 AM
BabyGT
5th Gear Member

It sounds like you are already set on buying it. Its worth whatever you are willing to pay. Its not like these cars are that rare or worth a whole lot. A low mileage v6 will still be a low mileage v6 in the future. The fact that it needs body and or interior work will severely hurt any collectors value on the car as well as it being a less desirable v6.

Based on those thoughts its worth less that a grand to do the bare minimum to make it a reliable daily driver. That's about it. It might be what you call a survivor right now, but once you fix any issues its lumped into the restored category.

Watch a few Barret Jackson episodes. They had inline six and smaller engined versions of most of those cars coming up to auction, but they hardly ever appear for auction, and when they do the prices they go for are dissapointing.