V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

Procharger Stage II Intercooled Supercharger System

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2014, 05:50 PM
MCR
2nd Gear Member

Default Procharger Stage II Intercooled Supercharger System

Over the past 2 years of owning my current vehicle I realize that even though it is a V6 I should be thankful for even owning a Mustang

I am currently still a college student so loans will be an issue for me for the next several years...so financing a car is out of the question. At first I was very interested in the M112 build. Because of my lack of knowledge, and barely any fundamental mechanic skills I decided to not go through with it...besides it is just as expensive as the kit I am currently looking at (cowl hood, adapter plate, etc adds up to the 3000$ kit)

What do you guys think about this kit? It is a bolt on...and can work for a stock Mustang...obviously if I want more boost then I go forged internals, pistons, etc

How much power do you still me making towards the crank and the wheels for this kit? Please do not try and talk me out of it. The V8's in here are VERY expensive. They are about 8,000+ for just way too many miles. Besides I want to keep this car for the next years till the engine blows...whenever that happens

First I want to see how much power I can make with this kit, and then see my options from there (possible nitrous as well...maybe a small wet shot? 50? 75?)
The kit is going for about 4500$
I honestly think it is worth it....I am tired of people just saying "Hey go V8". Sure I can tke the easy way...but I want to learn more about cars, and what better way is to start off with a smaller engine, and opening up this beauty?

Tips guys? Thank you.
Car is the '99-'03 models ('04 doesn't work for the procharger I am looking at)
Old 09-30-2014, 07:44 PM
BabyGT
5th Gear Member

4500 minimum plus incidentals, anything that accidently gets broken or replaced that's currently on the car. Yes 8g's sounds like a lot but if your car is in good condition then you could reasonably get 4g's for it, that brings it down to either only paying 4 or so more on top of that or having 4 grand or so for a down payment and only 4 grand to pay off in small payments.
Old 09-30-2014, 10:18 PM
MCR
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by BabyGT
4500 minimum plus incidentals, anything that accidently gets broken or replaced that's currently on the car. Yes 8g's sounds like a lot but if your car is in good condition then you could reasonably get 4g's for it, that brings it down to either only paying 4 or so more on top of that or having 4 grand or so for a down payment and only 4 grand to pay off in small payments.
I have student loans to pay off monthly very soon
Why should I go financial a 2V GT for 8-9K and waste more money time on that vehicle if
1) I already have a car with less miles and that I can actually procharge it for less money than a GT
2) I wouldn't have to be making car payments
3) I wouldn't want to go for a GT. I'd go for a Terminator, and those are out of my reach now
4) My credit sucks *** because I'm still a young kid building up credit. They'll be having a field day with me on a 10 year old vehicle....

Which is exactly why I'm asking about procharging the V6 for a while. On me it doesn't make economical sense to spend 8-10K on a stock GT with high miles and car payments if I have a Ford Mustang V6 chilling there with less miles and all I do is spend 4-5K instead of 8-10K...oh and I wouldn't be making car payments either

Last edited by MCR; 09-30-2014 at 10:20 PM.
Old 09-30-2014, 10:51 PM
MCR
2nd Gear Member

Also how much HP on the wheels or crank does this kit give the stock V6's?
Old 10-01-2014, 06:56 AM
BabyGT
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by MCR
I have student loans to pay off monthly very soon
Why should I go financial a 2V GT for 8-9K and waste more money time on that vehicle if
1) I already have a car with less miles and that I can actually procharge it for less money than a GT
2) I wouldn't have to be making car payments
3) I wouldn't want to go for a GT. I'd go for a Terminator, and those are out of my reach now
4) My credit sucks *** because I'm still a young kid building up credit. They'll be having a field day with me on a 10 year old vehicle....

Which is exactly why I'm asking about procharging the V6 for a while. On me it doesn't make economical sense to spend 8-10K on a stock GT with high miles and car payments if I have a Ford Mustang V6 chilling there with less miles and all I do is spend 4-5K instead of 8-10K...oh and I wouldn't be making car payments either

1) No, you have a v6 and think it will be quicker and cheaper to supercharge it. Consider your v6 as roughly 4 grand, that plus the 5 grand you need for the supercharger makes about 9 grand. That's already more than the GT's you are talking about.

2) Oh good, this means you already have 5 grand in pocket for the kit right? If not then I'm assuming you would have to get a loan, which means a loan payment, what's the difference between that and a car payment?

3) Everyone wants something better than what they already own.

4) If your credit sucks that bad then you have made poor financial decisions and prolly have some debt to pay off. This is what you need to spend money on.

It makes even less economical sense to spend 5 grand in parts on a 4 grand car that will do nothing but DECREASE the value. Any mods including major mods HURT the value of a car. You keep saying you wont have a car payment, all I can take that to mean is you already have the price of the kit in hand. Either use that to fix your credit or put it in saving, sell the v6 then take your 8-10k and buy what you want.

And for your last question, on stock internals you will still be slower than a stock GT. To make this worthwhile you will need the kit (5k) the tea end geared better (4-6 hundred) and a new custom tuner from a tune shop (3 hundredish plus hourly labor charge).

Do not expect to buy this kit, slap it on and have a fast car. You will have a fast v6 but it wont be anything crazy, you will still be getting beat by the same things that are faster than you now.

From your first post it sounds like you want a GT, that's great save and get what you want, if the supercharger is what you really want great get that, but don't try to convince yourself that the supercharger is a better investment, you will be spending more and not be as fast as well as hurting the value of your car.

I'm just trying to help. All the reasons you list as why you can't afford a GT are reasons you should not be buying a supercharger for the v6.

You could even be cheaper and do what I did. Keep the v6 nice and buy an older GT. Roughly 2200 invested and I have a nice daily v6 and a 94 GT to tear up and play around with.
Old 10-01-2014, 06:12 PM
MCR
2nd Gear Member

1) No, you have a v6 and think it will be quicker and cheaper to supercharge it. Consider your v6 as roughly 4 grand, that plus the 5 grand you need for the supercharger makes about 9 grand. That's already more than the GT's you are talking about

2) Oh good, this means you already have 5 grand in pocket for the kit right? If not then I'm assuming you would have to get a loan, which means a loan payment, what's the difference between that and a car payment?

3) Everyone wants something better than what they already own.

4) If your credit sucks that bad then you have made poor financial decisions and prolly have some debt to pay off. This is what you need to spend money on.

It makes even less economical sense to spend 5 grand in parts on a 4 grand car that will do nothing but DECREASE the value. Any mods including major mods HURT the value of a car. You keep saying you wont have a car payment, all I can take that to mean is you already have the price of the kit in hand. Either use that to fix your credit or put it in saving, sell the v6 then take your 8-10k and buy what you want.

And for your last question, on stock internals you will still be slower than a stock GT. To make this worthwhile you will need the kit (5k) the tea end geared better (4-6 hundred) and a new custom tuner from a tune shop (3 hundredish plus hourly labor charge).

Do not expect to buy this kit, slap it on and have a fast car. You will have a fast v6 but it wont be anything crazy, you will still be getting beat by the same things that are faster than you now.

From your first post it sounds like you want a GT, that's great save and get what you want, if the supercharger is what you really want great get that, but don't try to convince yourself that the supercharger is a better investment, you will be spending more and not be as fast as well as hurting the value of your car.

I'm just trying to help. All the reasons you list as why you can't afford a GT are reasons you should not be buying a supercharger for the v6.

You could even be cheaper and do what I did. Keep the v6 nice and buy an older GT. Roughly 2200 invested and I have a nice daily v6 and a 94 GT to tear up and play around with.
With all due respect, it makes no sense in me purchasing a high mileage V8, I've thought this out
1) The scam insurance in NJ...the GT's cost me over 60-100$$$$ increase! That is RIDICULOUS
2) Under 25. I am under 25. The GT's cost more thus they'll factor in my age which is more $$$...I got a price quote already. Insurance would cost me $300-350 monthly for a GT. Not worth it.
3) My V6 was recently repainted so the value is dropped. It is not worth 4g's. MAybe at best 3500 but that is pushing it..car's at 90,000 miles. Also, why would I put a down payment for the older model GT's? Interest rate doesn't work like that. Because my credit score sucks they'll rack up my payments via interest and it would cost me a fortune no matter how big my down payment is....I would be paying $12,000 for an 8,000$ car and with high mileage. It makes no economical sense for me. At least for my V6 I can save up for the kit. I already have 1g saved up. I am in no rush.

I wouldn't take out a personal loan for 5g anyway because as I mentioned I'm saving up for it and I should get 5g's by 6-8 months. My credit score sucks because it is still being built. My credit history is VERY short thus affecting my score. It is only 2 years. I've never missed any payments...ever. It will only increase here from now on, and should be in the low 700's by the beginning of next year.

I COULD go for the '94-'95 5.0's or the Fox Bodies 5.0 but it still wouldn't make sense to me because the insurance will destroy me.
Why not build a reasonable V6 that can push 250-300 rwph? I don't need a super car. There's always going to be a faster car but nothing feels better than building up your V6. I can always go the easy way...but again as I told you financially it's nearly impossible right now.

Car loans added in with student loan payments = big no
Old 10-02-2014, 04:59 PM
BabyGT
5th Gear Member

Age is the worse argument to use with me. I'm only 25 myself. I've had both my v6 and my 94 5.0 since 24. The insurance on my 94 5.0 liter v8 5 speed convertible is about half the cost per month of my auto 04 v6. Get a quote. I have car payments, loan payments, and a house payment.
Old 10-02-2014, 05:39 PM
MCR
2nd Gear Member

Age is the worse argument to use with me. I'm only 25 myself. I've had both my v6 and my 94 5.0 since 24. The insurance on my 94 5.0 liter v8 5 speed convertible is about half the cost per month of my auto 04 v6. Get a quote. I have car payments, loan payments, and a house payment.
Where do you live? NJ has the highest insurance in the country...not making this up. It is a very expensive state. It's more expensive than California, and has the highest taxes in the country
Not to mention that you make $$$....I'm making beans till I graduate college. If we compared I guarantee you I don't make half the salary you make.
Old 10-02-2014, 06:59 PM
BabyGT
5th Gear Member

VA. Its free to get quotes there's no harm in asking. My point in all this is if you want to supercharge a v6, do it because you want a supercharged v6 and plan on keeping it. Otherwise you are just giving away money.

To make this worthwhile you will need more than just the kit. The kit alone wont hardly give a decent gain.

Bare minimum you will want kit, re-gear, good tune, and be prepared to run better gas. Check with local law and make sure you will pass smog, inspection, ect..... If its not carb exempt it most likely won't pass smog and will fail visual inspection right off the bat.

If your exhaust is stock as well you're going to want to do something to free it up a bit, that will be the major hindrance to any gains, if the air can't get out of the motor any faster it wont help cramming it in much faster.
Old 10-02-2014, 08:37 PM
MCR
2nd Gear Member

VA. Its free to get quotes there's no harm in asking. My point in all this is if you want to supercharge a v6, do it because you want a supercharged v6 and plan on keeping it. Otherwise you are just giving away money.

To make this worthwhile you will need more than just the kit. The kit alone wont hardly give a decent gain.

Bare minimum you will want kit, re-gear, good tune, and be prepared to run better gas. Check with local law and make sure you will pass smog, inspection, ect..... If its not carb exempt it most likely won't pass smog and will fail visual inspection right off the bat.

If your exhaust is stock as well you're going to want to do something to free it up a bit, that will be the major hindrance to any gains, if the air can't get out of the motor any faster it wont help cramming it in much faster.
Thanks man
I ran a quote on the V8 not too long ago...and it was just atrocious. I couldn't believe what these scammers were trying to rob me. I'd figure eh a 10-20$ increase. It was 70-100$ increase! It's just way too much for what I can afford

I have an automatic
What do you think of
4.10 gears?
I only have MAC Dual's....basically it splits the Y Pipe into duals. I didn't remove the Y's. I'm only afraid if I remove them and put something else it will sound ricey as hell because these V6's are very easy to make them sound ricey. I've looked over exhausts and they're just so bad....I really do like my dual Y Pipe's. They really do sound like a V8 on idle

Quick Reply: Procharger Stage II Intercooled Supercharger System