V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

Procharger Stage II Intercooled Supercharger System

Old 11-07-2014, 02:16 PM
PNYXPRESS
5th Gear Member

I disagree with the rear not being able to support a boosted car. The supercoupe came with a 7.5 rear end and it held up.
Old 11-07-2014, 04:58 PM
jthorn9
The Godfather

I didn't mean that it wouldn't work, I mean it's not the best option right out of the box being that it's an open differential. Would you really want 300 hp being shot to one tire?
Old 11-07-2014, 06:52 PM
MCR
2nd Gear Member

I agree with Jthorn

If I really do keep my V6 I'm definitely switching over to a used 8.8 rear end from the 99-04 GT models and 4.10 or 3.73 gears would both work. Also get a full exhaust + tune, and possibly adding this PC...maybe. We'll see. Yes, I know it won't be fast. I know it would be cheaper to buy a V8 and get bolt ons to make It much faster than a V6 with a PC but we'll see
The full exhaust + rear end/gears + tune = 1500+$ which isn't too bad
Old 11-08-2014, 02:21 PM
nitrous36
3rd Gear Member

There used to be a community of supercharged V6 guys (3.8 and 4.0) around here, but a lot of them have come and gone as newer better mustangs have since come out.

Originally Posted by jthorn9
As stated you'll be undertaking a huge project, bigger than you're thinking, to super charge your V6. Centrifugal superchargers generally add right around 9-11 hp per PSI. The essex 3.8L is safe on stock internals up to around 300-350 bhp. That means the maximum boost you could run is 10 PSI, and that is pushing it.

You will then need to upgrade your rear to an 8.8" rear, as your factory rear is not sufficient for boosted cars. You will also need to add dual exhaust and gauge clusters to monitor boost and a/f ratios. So once you get all the secondary parts you're in the 5-6K range easily. Not to mention install which will run around 1K. You stated you don't have much knowledge and this is not something to take on unless you know what you're doing or else you will have constant problems due to the supercharger.
My 7.5 is holding up just fine. But I also dont beat the **** out of it, just spirited driving occasionaly. I was told on here from older V6 tuners and 5.0 guys that the 7.5 rear was good up to 350 rwhp. I could be wrong. Just what I always heard.

With the procharger he'll most likely make 280-290ish to the wheels and 270-280ish lbs of tq depending on the tune. So he should be safe with the stock rearend. OP I do advise that you upgrade to a detroit true trac LSD and 3.73s while youre in there. Thats all Ive done to the rear and it holds fine. Also if youre running auto I would suggest a higher stall tq converter around 2800 stall to take better advantage of the added power. Still good in traffic driving and when you want to gun it, it will slip it right up to the spot in the powerband where boost builds.

These guys are right about the cost, only do this if you want and plan to keep the car a long time. Especially now as these cars have really depriciated a lot(see above about newer better mustangs coming out). At the time I supercharged it 7 years ago, the car was worth about 6-7k. GTs were 12K+. I spent around 5k and was cheaper than a GT(initially). Then later another shop blew the engine while tuning, and it became much more expensive, very expensive.

By the time I had everything back together and running, the money I spent I could have bought a used GT, supercharged it, and been faster still. So think about this before you do it. Things might not be too bad cost wise to do it, so long as no one blows your engine in the process. I was doing ok cost wise until that happened.

I still have the V6 but Ive since learned the error of my ways and eventually brought a V8 like I should have in the first place. And like you, a V8 is what I really wanted, but tried instead to work with what I had.

Last edited by nitrous36; 11-08-2014 at 02:29 PM.
Old 11-09-2014, 02:32 PM
MCR
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by nitrous36
There used to be a community of supercharged V6 guys (3.8 and 4.0) around here, but a lot of them have come and gone as newer better mustangs have since come out.

My 7.5 is holding up just fine. But I also dont beat the **** out of it, just spirited driving occasionaly. I was told on here from older V6 tuners and 5.0 guys that the 7.5 rear was good up to 350 rwhp. I could be wrong. Just what I always heard.

With the procharger he'll most likely make 280-290ish to the wheels and 270-280ish lbs of tq depending on the tune. So he should be safe with the stock rearend. OP I do advise that you upgrade to a detroit true trac LSD and 3.73s while youre in there. Thats all Ive done to the rear and it holds fine. Also if youre running auto I would suggest a higher stall tq converter around 2800 stall to take better advantage of the added power. Still good in traffic driving and when you want to gun it, it will slip it right up to the spot in the powerband where boost builds.

These guys are right about the cost, only do this if you want and plan to keep the car a long time. Especially now as these cars have really depriciated a lot(see above about newer better mustangs coming out). At the time I supercharged it 7 years ago, the car was worth about 6-7k. GTs were 12K+. I spent around 5k and was cheaper than a GT(initially). Then later another shop blew the engine while tuning, and it became much more expensive, very expensive.

By the time I had everything back together and running, the money I spent I could have bought a used GT, supercharged it, and been faster still. So think about this before you do it. Things might not be too bad cost wise to do it, so long as no one blows your engine in the process. I was doing ok cost wise until that happened.

I still have the V6 but Ive since learned the error of my ways and eventually brought a V8 like I should have in the first place. And like you, a V8 is what I really wanted, but tried instead to work with what I had.
Thanks
How good did it run with the PC?

What was the 1/4 mile? I heard with the PC + tune that you can keep up with a '03-'04 stock Mach 1
Old 11-09-2014, 04:03 PM
LilRoush
6th Gear Member

With a good tune and the intercooled 11 psi Pro Charger you can see North of 300rwhp. It's good to be on par with the N/A 4V cars (Machs and Cobras).
Old 11-09-2014, 05:44 PM
MCR
2nd Gear Member

What exactly do you mean by "good tune"
Do most not work the same, just different brands?

Also I thought it was only safe to handle 5-7 psi on the stock block from these V6's
Old 11-09-2014, 09:08 PM
jthorn9
The Godfather

Good tune is just that, a good tune. That means having the car on the dyno and being tuned by a pro. This will maximize the performance of the car while limiting the likely hood of failure due to a/f ratios, spark settings, and engine timing. A poorly tuned car, meaning one done by anything less than an expert, will not perform as smoothly, will likely have day to day odd ball issues that arise, and will run a higher risk of engine failure.

Yes 5-7 would be considered a safe boost amount, 11 PSI is on par with the max I would run on those cars without forged internals, and honestly, given the age of the car, millage aside, I'd be leary on running that much as you don't know the true condition of the pistons, rings, bearings, and cylinder walls.
Old 11-09-2014, 09:47 PM
nitrous36
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by MCR
Thanks
How good did it run with the PC?

What was the 1/4 mile? I heard with the PC + tune that you can keep up with a '03-'04 stock Mach 1
It runs great. jthorn is right. How well it runs will depend on the tune. One of the tuners I use to take my car to wasn't good. The car had day to day problems. Some days it ran good and some days it wouldn't run right. I was never sure if they didn't know what they were doing or if they were doing it on purpose to keep getting money by having me and other customers returning with issues. The tuner I eventually end up going to did a great job and the car runs great reliably.

A procharged V6 will run somewhere in the mid to high 13's. Having just bought a mach 1 I can compare now. They are close. But the Mach 1 will edge it out. The V6 will keep up but I don't think it will beat it. Also the Machs have more torgue on their side. The HP numbers may be similar but the 4V makes more torque and sooner which probably helps it off the line.

There was a video floating around youtube one time with a GTO, stock Mach 1 and a procharged V6 racing. They finished in the following order, GTO, Mach 1 and close behind it the V6.

It is very important you have a good tune. Find your local tuners, then study and research them. Go to the shops, meet the people, talk to them, and look at their work. That will give you an impression and help your decision. Talk to people that have dealt with any of your local shops if you know any. Take into consideration what they tell you but don't take them too seriously as other peoples opinions and biases may skew things and mislead. You'll have to go see for yourself.

Last edited by nitrous36; 11-09-2014 at 10:39 PM.
Old 11-10-2014, 05:25 AM
MCR
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by nitrous36
It runs great. jthorn is right. How well it runs will depend on the tune. One of the tuners I use to take my car to wasn't good. The car had day to day problems. Some days it ran good and some days it wouldn't run right. I was never sure if they didn't know what they were doing or if they were doing it on purpose to keep getting money by having me and other customers returning with issues. The tuner I eventually end up going to did a great job and the car runs great reliably.

A procharged V6 will run somewhere in the mid to high 13's. Having just bought a mach 1 I can compare now. They are close. But the Mach 1 will edge it out. The V6 will keep up but I don't think it will beat it. Also the Machs have more torgue on their side. The HP numbers may be similar but the 4V makes more torque and sooner which probably helps it off the line.

There was a video floating around youtube one time with a GTO, stock Mach 1 and a procharged V6 racing. They finished in the following order, GTO, Mach 1 and close behind it the V6.

It is very important you have a good tune. Find your local tuners, then study and research them. Go to the shops, meet the people, talk to them, and look at their work. That will give you an impression and help your decision. Talk to people that have dealt with any of your local shops if you know any. Take into consideration what they tell you but don't take them too seriously as other peoples opinions and biases may skew things and mislead. You'll have to go see for yourself.
I saw it, and it was honestly very cringe worthy from the V6

Are you sure that PC gives 290-300 to the wheels? It got smoked by a stock '04 Mach 1

Was the V6 even tuned?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Procharger Stage II Intercooled Supercharger System