V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

Procharger Stage II Intercooled Supercharger System

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2014, 11:46 PM
nitrous36
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by MCR
Is the procharger worth it?
Sorry I forgot to put a quote in the last post. I was referring to the machs hp/tq from Ford vs what people actually saw on the dyno. People were seeing hp numbers at the wheels that suggested more than 305hp at the crank. Don't know with certainty because I haven't dyno'd mine. But for years Ive always heard this thrown around.

Is a procharger worth it? Depends on what all youre getting in the kit for what youre paying. I don't know what other options are out there now for boosting a 3.8 V6. At the time when I did (mid/late 00s), if you wanted to go FI on a V6 mustang easy cheaper and reliably(compared to other offerings at the time), procharger was the way to go. I would venture to say it still is today. Until very recently I had daily driven mine everyday. It was my only car. The only issues I had were usually tune related, which I fixed by finding a better tuner that knew what they were doing.

The only issue with the procharger itself was it leaked a little oil. That in the tensioner started ****ing up after 6 years of daily use(not bad). Prochargers leak oil, its going to leak. It wont when new, but eventually at some point they WILL leak. I replaced the seal on the output shaft and it held up for a few years. Then a year ago I sent the unit in for a rebuild.

Longevity and reliability may vary depending on the individual and how they use it. I didn't abuse it or boost it often(at every given opportunity) because it was my daily and only means of transportation. This may of played a part in it lasting so long for me. At first the blower will sound cool. But if this is your daily, there are times you will find it annoying and wish the car was quieter. Depending where youre at it will draw attention whether you want it or not. And it wont be from girls.

Last edited by nitrous36; 11-12-2014 at 11:55 PM.
Old 11-13-2014, 01:37 PM
MCR
2nd Gear Member

Thanks man I appreciate it
This car is not a daily driver. It has 88,000 miles and still runs good.

What do you think is the safetest amount of boost I can use on my stock engine? Also with the PC can I also go with a 75 shot of nitrous or will I blow the motor?
Old 11-13-2014, 02:14 PM
jthorn9
The Godfather

Do not mix N2O and an supercharger unless you're building a race car. Keep in mind, you will already need to find a damn good tuner to tune for the S/C, take that risk and multiply it by 2 or 3 when you add N2O into the mix. You will also need a completely forged/built motor to support those mods together.
As stated, the 7-9 PSI systems are the "safer" system, but you could run approximately a maximum of 11 PSI. But again, taking in consideration the age of the car, that may not be a wise idea.
Old 11-13-2014, 03:05 PM
nitrous36
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by jthorn9
Keep in mind, you will already need to find a damn good tuner to tune for the S/C,
This. The tune is important. It will make or brake you. The first two tuners werent good. First one closed up shop and skipped town with peoples money(left me with an unfinished tune), the second one blew my engine. Third times the charm. Research carefully, dont make the same mistakes I did. I was too quick to trust. Had a lot of bad luck in the beginning.

Originally Posted by jthorn9
As stated, the 7-9 PSI systems are the "safer" system, but you could run approximately a maximum of 11 PSI. But again, taking in consideration the age of the car, that may not be a wise idea.
OP I had near identical miles as you at time. Maybe a little less, but it was in the 80 thousands. None intercooled boost you can run 8/9 lbs max. With an intercooler you can get away with 11lbs on stock internals. Miles arent all telling, there are many other variables at play. The condition of the engine, how it was treated by the previous owner(s) before you, etc. If youre concerned get a compression test done.
Old 11-13-2014, 05:49 PM
MCR
2nd Gear Member

Thanks jthorn and nitrous
I've had this vehicle 2 years, and it has yet to give me any problems. I'm the second owner of this car, and the last owner seemed like he did a very good job of taking care of it, even though he modded the exterior like horsechit.

Nitrous, with this set up (automatic) would this run high 13's - low 14's? Maybe even low 13's, or high 12's?
Old 11-13-2014, 10:54 PM
nitrous36
3rd Gear Member

Yes mid/low 13s, but youre going to need gears to help you. With a good launch you could probably hit low 13s. Stock gearing will probably get you high 13s.

Unless you up the boost, take some serious weight out, or run crazy gearing like 4.10s you aren't going to see 12s. There have been and still are some built and very fast 3.8s running around. But a 13 second older V6 mustang is still impressive. Even though new ones will do it stock now. As cool and unique as a supercharged V6 is, some people will still give you **** because its not a V8.But don't feel bad. You will win and lose some races, but still don't feel bad. I have lost some and was disappointed, but not hurt because having the V6 I was the underdog and expected to be slow(er) anyway lol. 13 second cars aren't slow, but they aren't really fast either. But fun to drive, yes. Fast and slow, theyre somewhere in between.

Important! Performance shops/tuners generally aren't responsible for any damages that may occur while tuning/testing your vehicle. Or any damage/injury that may result from their work after you've taken the vehicle back. Some will make you sign an agreement acknowledging this, some will not, but its assumed. If something happens they aren't paying for any of it, they may give you a brake on the parts or labor(if they're doing the repairs) but don't hold your breath. They will honor parts warranties if you bought it from them, but otherwise aren't paying for anything mechanical that may brake while in their hands. Again they don't hold themselves liable. Unless they wreck your car while test driving and they were proven at fault for the accident. So make sure your stuff is in order, that you deal with a good tuner and reputable shop.
Old 11-14-2014, 11:44 AM
NYstang
MF Staff Snitch

Or just get a Vortech.... https://www.v6mustang.com/threads/us...er-kit.277428/
Old 11-14-2014, 07:30 PM
MCR
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by NYstang
I've made my decision! :P
Dude's still selling it too, and for only 2500

What power can you make on that Vortech
The curiosity is killing me

Last edited by MCR; 11-14-2014 at 07:33 PM.
Old 11-15-2014, 06:48 PM
jthorn9
The Godfather

Around 10-15 rwhp per PSI. The V2 head unit, if memory serves me right, boost 7-9PSI.
Old 12-14-2014, 11:11 PM
MCR
2nd Gear Member

A lot of very helpful answers to this, which leads me to asking

If I can hold the psi on the SC to just 3-5psi can I be able to spray the motor with a 50 shot? Or just say screw it it won't last and upgrade the tranny + forged rods and pistons and have an 8-10psi + a 100 shot

I want to make this car something. I don't mind spending the extra money. Screw it, if I wanted a GT I'd still spend a lot of money, and nothing is better than actually seeing a mean 6 who someone worked hard on it because there are more V8's making 300-400 rwhp 2v's than V6's from those models

Quick Reply: Procharger Stage II Intercooled Supercharger System