V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

Car Turns over but wont start

Old 10-18-2014, 10:23 PM
OathKeeper

Unhappy Car Turns over but wont start

2000 Mustang V6 engine so before I would have to rev her up to start her but now she just turns over and wont idle. What are my possibilities here? It already overheats Im taking it in on Monday I just wanna figure out what it is.
Old 10-20-2014, 07:08 AM
BabyGT
5th Gear Member

There are so many possibilities from that description there isn't much we can tell you online. From all your other posts it does sound like the engine is shot.
Old 10-20-2014, 08:13 AM
PNYXPRESS
5th Gear Member

Since the car overheats the it could be antifreeze getting into the combustion chamber causing the plugs to not be able to spark. This could be a headgasket, cracked head or cracked block.
Old 10-20-2014, 10:16 AM
BabyGT
5th Gear Member

That's the likely culprits, could be something dumb like a bad coil and a stuck thermostat, or plugged radiator, and bad spark plugs, or bad water pump and arcing plug wires, or low coolant and a bad fuel pump, etc.....etc.......

But from the other threads it sounds like a blown head, causing compression to pressurize the coolant system, which will spray it into wherever it can go, including back into the firing chamber, causing a rough idle. Before you run the car anymore you need to have the heads checked, it could be as simple as having the heads shaved and new headgaskets and the motor be fine.
Old 10-20-2014, 11:01 PM
OathKeeper

Thanks Im really hoping its nothing to expensive and I really hope its something fixable. Before it drove just fine no knocking no smoke, I mean hell I am older than the car tbh, if its shot then the guy who sold it to me really abused the **** out of it. It sounds like it wants to start but cant. I bought the book for my car just to get started with it, theres only so much I can do with house tools though lmfao. I had to rev it up to start it and all that so Im hoping maybe its just a clog.
Old 10-21-2014, 06:27 AM
PNYXPRESS
5th Gear Member

Pull the spark plugs and see if they are wet. also verify any wetness is gas and not oil or water.

next would be check for spark at plugs

then check for fuel pressure
Old 10-22-2014, 06:38 PM
OathKeeper

I took it to the mechanic today. When it was getting pulled onto the flat bed it was leaking water. I checked my oil it didnt look bad like a cracked head gasket would make it look like. Everything on my engine was just to hard to tell between because its so dirty i thought it was just oil not gas. It needs a wash on the inside. Im hoping they call and tell me soon so I can get to fixing it fast.
Old 10-23-2014, 03:03 PM
Daehawk
4th Gear Member

I dont know. I blew the engine in my 86 Trans-Am by letting it overheat and cracked the block. I didn't see anything but coolant then either. Back then it was just a year or two old so the engine cost me like $6000.
Old 10-24-2014, 11:10 AM
OathKeeper

My car is dead it wasnt good at all I need a new engine I cant afford it was a 4000 dollar repair I work at McDonalds for **** sake Im a 17 year old girl this blows so much *** Idekkkkk. I gatta get rid of her already I feel so bad.
Old 10-24-2014, 11:17 AM
PNYXPRESS
5th Gear Member

you can get a whole engine from craigslist or a junkyard for around $500 or less

that shop is trying to overcharge cause you are female.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Car Turns over but wont start