V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

Which Decklid? need opinions.

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2014, 02:36 PM
TfcCDR
2nd Gear Member

Come to think of it, you might want to put on vortex generators to break the vacuum at the back of the car.
Old 10-24-2014, 03:13 PM
PNYXPRESS
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by TfcCDR
I see lots of claims by mfrs, but no test results.

And ask yourself if the Indy car guys would use all of that heavy bracing and drag to put the wings so high on their racers (which go far faster than a Mustang), if they could get effective aerodynamics down close to the car body.
You obviously know very little or nothing about airflow over a car and how wings and downforce work. Plus why would you compare a mustang to an Indy car? Why not to a NASCAR or better yet! The continental challenge mustang race car, which uses a steeda race wing!

I asked for opinions on which would look best, not which would give better functionality.
Old 10-24-2014, 04:20 PM
Daehawk
4th Gear Member

Its a Mustang. You're never going to be going fast enough for a wing to provide any downforce. Its all about what look you prefer.
Old 10-24-2014, 06:46 PM
Soldier GT
6th Gear Member

^^^^^Daehawk off the subject your car sounds really good with your exhaust set up!
Old 10-24-2014, 11:19 PM
Daehawk
4th Gear Member

Thanks Soldier! Its one thing I love about the car for sure.
Old 10-25-2014, 09:14 AM
BabyGT
5th Gear Member

I tried to go wingless once but it just didn't look right on a vert, hard tops wingless look sexy, so my vote is the blank decklid, then black out the panel.
Old 10-25-2014, 10:13 AM
TfcCDR
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by PNYXPRESS
You obviously know very little or nothing about airflow over a car and how wings and downforce work. Plus why would you compare a mustang to an Indy car? Why not to a NASCAR or better yet! The continental challenge mustang race car, which uses a steeda race wing!

I asked for opinions on which would look best, not which would give better functionality.
I compared a Mustang to an Indy car because Indy cars have effective aerodynamics and are designed to have the least weight, the least drag, etc. They design the whole car to have maximum efficiency. If putting a wing next to the body of a car doing 200 mph would work, they would do that to save the weight and drag that comes with putting the wing way above the car. However, they found that they have to put the wing up in the "clean" air for it to do any good. They also have to adjust the wing angles for differing conditions (car weight, air temp, track composition/traction), sometimes DURING a race, in order for it to have the right tradeoff between drag and downforce.

When you slow down, you need more wing to get the same effect, which is why the Outlaw racers (at 125 mph) have such huge wings -- and they put THOSE way up in the clear air, too.

Given all of the above, it's hard to believe that a little wing in the dirty airflow behind a Mustang would be of any use. The laws of physics are pretty definite about what does and doesn't work. Especially on a street car, whose designers traded off some efficiency for styling!

In other words, the wing on the deck lid of a Mustang has no more aerodynamic effect than do the false scoops on the sides of a Mustang.

The bottom line is that if the wing improved handling or efficiency, you wouldn't be able to buy a car without one. I don't have to be an expert on aerodynamics to know that. The manufacturers spend a lot of money paying such experts (which is why modern cars look so much alike). They squeeze every last bit of efficiency out of a design. If they got rid of the sharp edges on cars because of airflow (compare a 1971 Mustang to a 2005 Mustang), you can bet that they would put on wings if they offered any improvement.

So, getting back to your original question, I would say that which (if any) wing you put on your car is completely subjective, just like whether or not to put racing stripes on it. I like your idea of swapping them around, so when you get tired of the way one looks, you can get the "new car feeling."
Old 10-25-2014, 10:20 AM
TfcCDR
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by BabyGT
I tried to go wingless once but it just didn't look right on a vert, hard tops wingless look sexy, so my vote is the blank decklid, then black out the panel.
Hmmm. Our Q is a convertible with no wing, but we do have two small black antennas mounted on the deck lid. I can't remember what it looked like before the radios were installed, but looks good now. If I knew how to upload a photo I could show you, the thing is parked right outside my office.
Old 11-04-2014, 10:51 AM
BabyGT
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by TfcCDR
Hmmm. Our Q is a convertible with no wing, but we do have two small black antennas mounted on the deck lid. I can't remember what it looked like before the radios were installed, but looks good now. If I knew how to upload a photo I could show you, the thing is parked right outside my office.
Its all personal preference, it just looked like it was missing something off the back of the car when the top was down with no spoiler to me.
Old 11-05-2014, 08:21 AM
TfcCDR
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by BabyGT
Its all personal preference, it just looked like it was missing something off the back of the car when the top was down with no spoiler to me.
Yeah, but you're supposed to be looking FORWARD . . .

Quick Reply: Which Decklid? need opinions.