V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

Bolt-ons...how much would it run on 1/4 mile?

Old 11-04-2014, 12:56 PM
BabyGT
5th Gear Member

You have misread what I wrote. The mods listed will make the most of what you already have. Your car is a dog because the whole thing was designed around the best fuel mileage and comfort for people who could care less about performance and just wanted the thrill of saying they drive a mustang.

The mods you have listed are the best bang for buck mods for our cars and will make the car much more fun to drive, as well as make the biggest difference in how the car performs.

A cars performance is not dictated by its horsepower numbers but by how it makes use of the horsepower it has.

I have 2 person go-kart that has only 7hp, but because its so light and the way I have the gearing set up, it will do 45 miles an hour through a field. Imagine what it would do with just shy of 200 with the v6 from our cars bolted to it.

Your list is an excellent starting point. The only extra I would suggest is a ratchet shifter it will allow you to "shift" almost like a manual, this will help a bit as well since you can force the car to wait till closer to redline to shift, so when you hit the next gear up it places you in the powerband where you are making the most power.

Last edited by BabyGT; 11-04-2014 at 12:59 PM.
Old 11-04-2014, 02:30 PM
PNYXPRESS
5th Gear Member

Also, Our cars love to breath. your mod list is excellent at getting air out which is great, now you need to focus on getting air in. porting the lower intake along with the windstars plasic upper will allow more air in without as much of heat soak. Our intake tubes are good but they could be better if they ad a smooth bore.

A cheap ebay CAI works fine with a good filter, just wrap the metal tube with heat shield wrap.
Old 11-04-2014, 03:56 PM
BabyGT
5th Gear Member

Actually I've read and felt no difference myself between an eBay intake and just popping the snorkle off the stock intake.
Old 11-04-2014, 04:11 PM
PNYXPRESS
5th Gear Member

Yeah it's minimal gains other than a smooth bore over the corrugated stock intake. It's benefit is apparent once you demand more air at a faster rate.
Old 11-04-2014, 04:30 PM
BabyGT
5th Gear Member

Not worth the money in my opinion. The Windstar manifold on the other hand is a nice addition, but the guy making the kits doesn't sell them anymore, so you have to source your own manifold and fab all the brackets.
Old 11-04-2014, 04:39 PM
PNYXPRESS
5th Gear Member

So you are saying I should grab the kit I saw installed on the car in the junkyard
Old 11-04-2014, 09:10 PM
mustangcrazy87
1st Gear Member

I've had my v6 Mustang for almost 7 years. Its was modified when I got it, but I haven't changed much. Overall the car gets pretty bad gas mileage due to the mods, but here is what is on it excluding cosmetics.

3.73 gears (was 4.10 till I busted it)
T-Lock
Spin-tech true dual exhaust
steeda short throw
spec stage 1 clutch
K&N Air Filter
SCT Racing tune

This had made this car tons of fun to drive! But notice how none of them are really engine bolt-ons. (I don't count an air filter as a bolt on). What has made this car a blast to drive is the gearing and the exhaust. It just jumps off the line and sounds awesome doing it. Its faster than a stock GT of that era, but its more of a quick car than a fast car.

All in all, if you going to invest in something that makes your car a bit quick and a lot more fun to drive, I recommend drivetrain mods over engine mods.
Old 11-04-2014, 10:05 PM
jthorn9
The Godfather

As stated could you "beat" a GT. Sure, if the driver is bad and doesn't know how to drive the car a Miata could in theory beat a GT.

Given equal drivers though you will still get smashed pretty well. The 99-04 GTs can run solid mid 14s all day bone stock. Really good drivers can break into the high 13s under right conditions. A 99 V6 by comparison will run low 16s on average and will struggle to hit mid 15s with an amazing driver.

Given the mods you're looking at you could expect to shave off around 1/4 to 1/2 a second at best which still puts you at a big disadvantage.

Comparing just power numbers stock for stock a 99-04 V6 will dyno between 150-160 rwhp. A stock 99-04 GT will dyno around 220-230 rwhp. Given the mods you're looking at you'll raise your numbers around 10-15 rwhp at best. Which as stated still puts you will below a GTs power band.

The easiest way to beat a 99-04 GT consistently without a major engine overhaul is to, as you stated, supercharge the car.

The mods you've chose though is a really good starting point, and again, as stated, will get the most out of your factory car and reduce some of that sluggishness that comes with it.

Last edited by jthorn9; 11-04-2014 at 10:10 PM.
Old 11-05-2014, 08:44 AM
99GTvert
is my username.

Originally Posted by MCR
Thanks
You think I should just sell it and go 2v V8?
Originally Posted by PNYXPRESS
why? next you will be asking about beating cobras and wondering if you sell and go 4v. there will always be a faster car, build what YOU want, not what others want you to have. I enjoy my sixxer and 4 cyl more than my GT.
..the difference though is with the GT, the OP would be starting at a higher baseline of power/torque compared to the sixxer.
Old 11-05-2014, 05:46 PM
MCR
2nd Gear Member

Well there is a GT going for 3999 in my area with 132,000 miles...
2003 GT looks bone stock

Should I trade in my V6 with only 88,000 miles for the V8? What are the risks in getting a Ford Mustang GT for 132K miles?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Bolt-ons...how much would it run on 1/4 mile?