V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

Final Stretch Problems

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2014, 08:59 AM
Daehawk
4th Gear Member

Until the Mustang I always used 10w40 and sometimes 10w30.
Old 11-05-2014, 10:12 AM
Villiska
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by BabyGT
Well cross your fingers, if the correct oil got rid of the tick, and the pressure did come up chances are you're going to be alright. I can't believe none of us caught the oil weight being to thick. That should have been the first thing we noticed, I was to focused on the tick.

A clean engine is a happy engine, as long as there were no metal pieces in the oil when you drained it I'm willing to bet you are fine.
It seems I'm not out of the fight yet. I woke up this morning, started up my car and she started up beautifully. Drove her to work, parked it and it was great. I then grabbed some lunch just now and started the car and it started well, no ticking or slow start but when it started, it started to seem like it was dying on me. The RPM's went up and down and I heard like a..."bluh bluh bluh..bluh...bluh" sound like it was dying so I gave it some gas and it was fine. Starts up at 1200 RPM's or so and idles around 700-800. Not sure if that's good or if this dying problem means my transmission/motor is going out on me or what but god if it's not one thing it's the next.

Really can't catch a break. One thing though, this started happening when I used that thicker oil and when I had way too much in my car and was forced to drive it 3 times with short distances each time. I figured changing the oil and putting it back at a normal amount would do the trick but it seems not. I also looked at the oil that came out of my car, 3 week old oil and it was filthy.

Could this mean the other oil that was too thick broke loose a lot of stuff in my engine that was holding it together and now it's going out on me or could it be something simple that will go away once this new oil really gets in the system over time?

I'm at a loss for words and my friend keeps telling me it's all in my head because I complain so much about the car to him and then it decides to be shy and hide the problems when he looks at it. I'm alone on this one.
Old 11-05-2014, 06:35 PM
BabyGT
5th Gear Member

Cars are fickle, just keep an eye on it.
Old 11-05-2014, 07:02 PM
Villiska
1st Gear Member

Cars are fickle, just keep an eye on it.
It's very odd. If I start my car on a 2+ hour cold start, it starts up perfectly with a perfect idle of 1000-1200 and then drops down to 750~ like it's supposed to. If I drive the car for 15 minutes+ and then park it for 10-30 minutes and start it again, it'll sputter/blub blub for about 5-10 seconds and I have to give it some pretty heavy gas or it starts to go down as if the car is going to turn off.

This all started when I used too much oil in my car as well as the wrong oil. It makes me think that maybe the old oil, since it was so dirty even after 3 weeks, broke up a lot of deposits in my motor and maybe that's what is causing the issues now. Whether that killed my motor and within the next couple of weeks it'll get worse, I don't know. I'm praying it just needs to drive and drive and drive before it hopefully just stops giving me problems.

Should I seafoam it or flush the engine? I don't want to further damage anything.
Old 11-06-2014, 09:18 AM
Villiska
1st Gear Member

My friend heard a mild case of it this morning only after 5 minutes of letting my car sit and he instantly said bad gas and that I should run seafoam through my next full tank and see how it helps.

I just don't understand how it relates to too much oil or too thick of oil which is when this issue started. Oh well, I guess it's a cheap possible resolution for now since a full can runs about $10.
Old 11-10-2014, 11:17 AM
BabyGT
5th Gear Member

Eh, you might have bad gas but that would cause issues on cold starts not hot starts. Check your spark plugs, might have had oil forced passed your pistons and fouled the plugs a bit from to thick/to much oil.
Old 11-12-2014, 11:34 AM
Villiska
1st Gear Member

Eh, you might have bad gas but that would cause issues on cold starts not hot starts. Check your spark plugs, might have had oil forced passed your pistons and fouled the plugs a bit from to thick/to much oil.
If it was the spark plugs, wouldn't that also effect it upon a cold start? When I start it cold in the morning or after work, or even 2 hours after parking it, it starts up beautifully. Probably better than it ever has. No hesitation, no choking, it just starts up strong and the idle evens out how it's supposed to.

But, if I park it for 15 minutes and re-start it while it's hot, she'll start up and then the idle will go out of whack and she'll slowly sound like she's dying on me until I give her some pretty strong gas.

Having an issue only happen when it's hot baffles me. I'd think for a 200k car, the only issues I'd face would be at cold starts. I guess it's better it happen hot than cold since I start her cold a lot more often and for a lot more important of purposes.

I'll check the spark plugs though anyway, but it's a pain in the butt on this motor.