V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

Mach 460 sound system and no bass

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2014, 09:06 PM
gagemcc

Default Mach 460 sound system and no bass

Alright well I have a 2004 V6 and ever since I bought the car about six months ago the Mach 460 sound system has no bass what so ever. I can change the settings in the EQ to make it sound a tiny bit better but I have no idea what the problem could be. The car came with an aftermarket head unit, I don't know if the dealer put it in or the original owner. I checked all fuses and they are good to go. I checked the rear amps to make sure all cables are plugged in and they are good. Any theories? Thanks guys
Old 11-13-2014, 07:08 AM
BabyGT
5th Gear Member

That would be because whoever installed the deck I can almost guarantee did not install the extra harness piece to switch on the factory amps, or wired it wrong.
Old 11-13-2014, 09:06 PM
gagemcc

Do you have any advice on where I could start to check the wiring?
Old 11-14-2014, 07:17 AM
BabyGT
5th Gear Member

Well this one is kind of hard to deal with, the extra adapter being missing would still have the rest hooked up right. Pull the deck out without unplugging anything and see if there is anything connected to the RCA jacks (red and white plugs like on back of tv) if you can get a pic posted that would be even better and i could tell you real quick what's going on or if the deck wiring is not the problem.
Old 11-14-2014, 09:35 AM
PNYXPRESS
5th Gear Member

You said if you mess with the settings it will sound better. Have you checked to make sure you don't just have a blown bass speaker?
Old 11-14-2014, 01:56 PM
Daehawk
4th Gear Member

All speakers in a 460 are basically bass speakers. There is no sub or anything. They are 6x8s .
Old 11-14-2014, 01:59 PM
BabyGT
5th Gear Member

It sounds like he's saying if he turns up the bass it sounds a little better should prolly be translated as the deck was not installed properly and the amp cut on for the factory component subs are not cutting on and he his pumping all his sound out of the tweeters and they are not meant for any kind a of bass.

A factory speaker setup with an aftermarket deck in a mustang that came equipped with mach 460 sound requires an amp turn on harness, which the WalMart kits do not supply.

It is a separate harness adapter that runs the component subs from the rear rca or sub outputs of the aftermarket deck.

Also required of an aftermarket using the stock speakers and amps is a high pass filter that will block bass but allow high range frequencies through to the tweeters so as to not blow them.

Best buy usually has the kit. The problem is the base model.sound system uses the same main harness as the 460 unit, the 460 unit has the additional output for the amps and component subs. The wiring for the base and 460 are all there on both cars with either system but the base bypasses the component wiring. The 460 uses the base wiring plus more. This is why most people with the 460 system end up ripping it all out when adding anything aftermarket. Most never figure out how to wire it properly and rip it all out and start from scratch.
Old 11-14-2014, 02:03 PM
BabyGT
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Daehawk
All speakers in a 460 are basically bass speakers. There is no sub or anything. They are 6x8s .
Nope. The 460 has a total of 8 speakers, which is 4 sets of component setups, which consist of a tweeter and a sub, its not a sub in the sense of a 10 inch or 12 inch typical sub, but it is responsible for producing some of the mid and all of the low range frequencies. The tweeter does the rest of the mid (a miniscule amount) and all of the high range.

The factory amp only runs the "subs"

Therefore without the amp harness adapter for the aftermarket deck the "subs" never receive a signal and all the sound gets pump to the tweeters which is incapable of most of the mid and all of the low range frequencies.
Old 11-14-2014, 02:29 PM
BabyGT
5th Gear Member

No access to image hosting through my pos windows phone but look at the pic in this link.

http://www.crutchfield.com.edgesuite...0705521-f.jpeg

What is needed is the harness with the red and white rca plugs. That's the amp harness adapter.
Old 11-14-2014, 03:17 PM
Daehawk
4th Gear Member

How could it have 8 speakers when there are only 6 places for them?
2 in bottom of door
2 in door sails
2 in rear deck
Unless there are spots in the top front dash...if so mine are missing lol.

Link 1

LINK 2

LINK 3

The 460 uses strange amps and ohms.

Quick Reply: Mach 460 sound system and no bass